Any subraces you guys really want to see in the game?

I'm especially looking forward to the Orlan, Aumaua, and Godlike subraces, but I have a few interesting ideas for the other races.

One idea is a for an Elvish Jungle subrace that has a mutualistic relationship with another species, like Elven Trill, but different.

A subrace of Godlike made by whatever Un/Death God that temple in the screen shot depicted.

A subrace of Desert Dwarves that retain water in thier beards.

An Urban subrace of Orlan with a long history of Ciphers (think the Blues subrace of Goblins).

A subrace of Godlike liked by nature Gods, with different animal features.

A subrace of Aumaua that plays to Selkie mythology somewhat.

A subrace of Aumaua that evolved from Pirates.

Blue skinned Artic Orlans.

And of course the thorny issue of human subraces, a contraversial discussion amoung DnD next fans as well.

Any ideas on how to handle that?

I do have one idea for a swamp subrace human (alternately it could be Elven), that largely subsist on a species that causes thier skin to glow in the dark, kind of how the diet of the Pink Flamingo is the cause of thier pink feathers. Only they've been feeding on this source of food so long the effect is permant, even without it. They'd use the glowing in a more advanced means of communication like fire flies.

Of course another way to handle human subraces, is to count humans with inhuman blood as subraces, like Half Elves, Half Orcs, Half Orlans, Damphirs, and so on.

I would like to see the subraces be acknowledged by the game if they exist. I honestly don't care at the moment to be honest.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd like to see a subrace that is stuggling to become its own individual race - and sees itself as separate from the race proper (they don't culturally allow interbreeding, etc.). I'd also like to see any classic fantasy archetypes which have not been granted their own individual race to be an offshoot of one of the core races (orcs spring to mind, but they may fall loosely into orlan/aumaua anyway).

• Like 1

I'd just like for there to be a reason for sub-races to exist, whether it is evolutionary adaptations or the will of the gods. Hopefully they will get rid of that favored class nonsense and replace it with something better.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would like to see a re-appearance of a drow/darkelf like elven subrace with the same bad reputation they had in the DnD universe.

There could be some nice dialogue options with many of the NPCs and maybe your companions have to pledge for your good intentions, or you have to build up a good reputation first to get certain quests etc. Maybe you can even try to hide your culture like Viconia did in Baldurs Gate,

I do have one idea for a swamp subrace human (alternately it could be Elven), that largely subsist on a species that causes thier skin to glow in the dark, kind of how the diet of the Pink Flamingo is the cause of thier pink feathers. Only they've been feeding on this source of food so long the effect is permant, even without it. They'd use the glowing in a more advanced means of communication like fire flies.

I kind of think the firefly people and waterbeards would be amusing.

Firefly thief:

Dang it, hide-in-shadows failed again!

Shopkeep to waterbeard:

Hey there! Quit dripping on my floor!

Hahaha

Actually had a strange idea for a Dark Elf type race, Elves who have evovled in Ob Nua itself, thier ancestors having gotten trapped in the mega dungeon and twisted by it.

The Ob Nua Elves. How cool would that be?

As much as I love the depth subraces can offer to a setting or specific locations, the more subraces, the more high fantasy a setting becomes. Doesn't really fit PE. Then again, one of the playable races is Planetouched, so what do I know.

If they're in, I hope they're given a lot of thought and effort, because I definitely don't want to see throw-away subraces that are there only for different starting stats, e.g. make brown dwarf for +2 STR and +2 CON but -2 CHA.

Not really no. Usually 'sub-race' is basically the non-human version of culture in most RPGs, and as it has been said that different races share cultures now I don't really see the point. I'm more interested in what kind of crossbreeding is possible, are the races cross-fertile or are they unable to breed, if only certain races are cross-fertile why, and what kinds of crossbreeds are there.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Not really no. Usually 'sub-race' is basically the non-human version of culture in most RPGs, and as it has been said that different races share cultures now I don't really see the point. I'm more interested in what kind of crossbreeding is possible, are the races cross-fertile or are they unable to breed, if only certain races are cross-fertile why, and what kinds of crossbreeds are there.

Funny that a rabbit wants to know about breeding...

• Like 1

I do not really have any particular subrace I want to see in-game. I do want them to be consistant with anything they introduce though. I remember playing drow in both IWD 2 and NWN 2 and except for a few lines it felt like playing any other character and after having read quite a bit of R. A. Salvatore that really irritated me.

So I guess what I want is something that can be added properly without Obsidian having to burn too much cash on it.

Races are overdone. Use heredity like in reality, abandon the sorts of racial stereotyping that has plagued RPGs since D&D. You know how many kids in elementary school bragged about being 1/16th cherokee? A lot. Let's have people running around saying stuff like that, true or not.

Funny that a rabbit wants to know about breeding...

I'm a very innocent and pure rabbit lacking in worldliness and perversion. Honest...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

For those unaware, they have confirmed that subraces will exist.

And as far as complaints about sub-races being kinda lame go, I'd love to see a subrace inspired by Canada's Metis people...

I haven't read that, got a link?

I'm especially looking forward to the Orlan, Aumaua, and Godlike subraces, but I have a few interesting ideas for the other races.

One idea is a for an Elvish Jungle subrace that has a mutualistic relationship with another species, like Elven Trill, but different.

A subrace of Godlike made by whatever Un/Death God that temple in the screen shot depicted.

An Urban subrace of Orlan with a long history of Ciphers (think the Blues subrace of Goblins).

And of course the thorny issue of human subraces, a contraversial discussion amoung DnD next fans as well.

Of course another way to handle human subraces, is to count humans with inhuman blood as subraces, like Half Elves, Half Orcs, Half Orlans, Damphirs, and so on.

As far as I can tell Drow are the only subspecies confirmed thus far. When I asked the folks at Obsidian during the last hours of the KS campaign I wasn't able to get an awnser other than Svirfneblin and Derro not being in the game.

I really like a few of your ideas, particularly the cipher halflings and the beastling god-toched.

It wouldn't be a proper Infinity-engine style game without the ability to be a Godspawn of the unnamed lord of Murder and Death (who happens to be dead Him/her-self). I would like to see a subtype of mute Orlan who live deep in the forests and communicate telepathically.

As far as subtypes of Human I think different cultures should have minor differences to starting skills to represent the skill-set that comes with being raised in whatever culture, but we shouldn't take it very far. It should mostly just play into dialogue and your player-model. Culture isn't ingrained in our DNA, it has to be taught.

As far as I can tell Drow are the only subspecies confirmed thus far.

Exactly how are Drow confirmed?

I really hope you're saying this because of the "Lake of Drowned Tombs" on the map. If there's one subrace I do not want to see, it's Drow.

• Like 1