Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does anyone else still play the older stuff?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Heh, I've got one shelf stacked up with AD&D 2nd edition stuff, all the core books, and nearly the complete boxed sets and supplements for Al-Quadim, Birthright, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms, a chunk of the Planescape and Spelljammer... Although it's been about 6 years since we last used any of it.

That annoying time when the group that had been playing together for a decade plus ends up scattering around the country and dealing with jobs, marriage and suchlike..

I still pick up new rpg books, but I've found it tends to be more for my own personal reading and occasionally doodling of ideas rather then getting actual gaming in with a group.

Heya Raithe,

I totally hear how life can completely get in the way of old school RPG! You said you picked up new books. For AD&D 2nd Ed?

Heh, no, I think I've nearly got practically complete set of Ad&D 2nd edition stuff all stacked up..  I tend to pick up new books on fresh rpg's and such. Of late it's been more Shadowrun, M&M, Eclipse Phase, Pathfinder.

I did go through a lot of WoD before the new edition. (I think if I put all my Vampire/Mage/Demon books on end I'd get a pile about 5 foot high). 

Fresh new worlds and settings that can be interesting to see how they've handled different issues, and see how they've approached similar mechanics in different ways.

Hey I got Eclipse Phase as well. Nice setting isn't it? The rules are a bit clunky though

For the rest of you - you can find the rulebook on the official website, free for download under the creative commons license.

greylord

greylord

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1053 posts

I love the setting for Eclipse Phase, even have all the books they've published for the system thus far, but have never actually gotten to play the system!

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Neither have I.

Its hard to enthuse people for hard sci fi. Or sci fi in general.

And the damn system is a pain to learn, compared to others I have on hand.

Akimotos

Akimotos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:pfijma
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

i'm playing pathfinder in pbp forum. its still alive and 5 years in the running. i am working on a adventure set in numenera. (a different system that is a lot of fun if you choose to think in possibilities instead of numbers and limits.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4723 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Got my first PNP products in quite a while last week, bought some Pathfinder stuff and ordered the two new Forgotten Realms minicampaigns (Murder in Baldur's Gate and something to do with the Crystal Shard). Might have to start a separate thread for Murder in Baldur's Gate at some point...

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If anybody is into retro-clones and the like, Swords and Wizardry Complete is free from Frog God Games now (the pdf) and I just picked up the boxed set of Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea during North Wind Games winter sale. Great stuff if you want to run a good old-fashioned, bare knuckles hex crawl or a weird fantasy campaign.

Both hew closer to OD&D or Holmes/Moldvay than AD&D, but the presentation and organization is top notch in either system.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

If anybody is into retro-clones and the like, Swords and Wizardry Complete is free from Frog God Games now (the pdf) and I just picked up the boxed set of Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea during North Wind Games winter sale. Great stuff if you want to run a good old-fashioned, bare knuckles hex crawl or a weird fantasy campaign.

Both hew closer to OD&D or Holmes/Moldvay than AD&D, but the presentation and organization is top notch in either system.

Dunno, is it any different from the literally countless other free retroclones (New 52, LotFP, Tales of the Grotesque and the Dungeonesque, etc etc)?

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dunno, is it any different from the literally countless other free retroclones (New 52, LotFP, Tales of the Grotesque and the Dungeonesque, etc etc)?

I think Swords and Wizardy Complete is probably the best organized and most professional of the retroclones I've read. As for AS&SH, The rules and classes are pretty standard fare, but there are no elves and dwarves and demihumans, instead each "race" of humanity is somewhat distinct (Atlanteans, Keltic, Hyperboreans, Ixian, etc.) it's main selling point is the way it has integrated that setting material (Based on the fiction of Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Howard, Lovecraft et. al.) into its rules system. 

If you're not into it or don't care about OSR style games then skip it and move on. I just posted about it because somebody was asking if anybody was still into the "old stuff" and this seemed to fit.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

ad&d is horrible. only thing worse in d&d rules history were the original white box... although white box had the advantage of being less complete. all ad&d were was the accumulated tournament and house rules that developed for d&d, but vomited out into book form and labeled "official."

harsh? not harsh enough. 

most common pnp groups we sees nowadays is--

pathfinder

d&d 3.5

d&d 4th

d&d pre-d20

always amuses us when we see "old skool" d&d gaming sessions being run. the nostalgia of ad&d eludes us, and Gromnir actually played d&d and ad&d before they were the subject o' rosy-hued retrospection.

HA! Good Fun!

ps d&d next looks like a return to 3.5. hopefully next don't make the same mistakes with prestige classes that 3.5 did.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

ad&d is horrible. only thing worse in d&d rules history were the original white box... although white box had the advantage of being less complete. all ad&d were was the accumulated tournament and house rules that developed for d&d, but vomited out into book form and labeled "official."

harsh? not harsh enough. 

most common pnp groups we sees nowadays is--

pathfinder

d&d 3.5

d&d 4th

d&d pre-d20

always amuses us when we see "old skool" d&d gaming sessions being run. the nostalgia of ad&d eludes us, and Gromnir actually played d&d and ad&d before they were the subject o' rosy-hued retrospection.

HA! Good Fun!

ps d&d next looks like a return to 3.5. hopefully next don't make the same mistakes with prestige classes that 3.5 did.

AD&D is horrible. Retroclones, however, are awesome. I'm fiercely of the opinion that the new Hackmaster and the DCC RPG are perhaps the best iterations of the game, ever.

And here's a "why (and how) are retroclones better than the post-3E stuff" recommended reading list.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid, 24 December 2013 - 01:31 AM.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

DCC RPG is indeed awesome. My players are mostly newbies, so we're doing a mashup of Swords and Wizardry with some bits and pieces borrowed from other systems (AS&SH, DCC, Lametations of the Flame Princess). DCC RPG might be worth the price just for the amazing artwork inside.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really cannot understand the rhyme or reasoning behind DnD 4.0 or how it became sort of popular. I mean, sure it's got some amazing art, but the rules just feel..  It feels like a table top version of WoW rather then a pen & paper rpg.

• Walsingham and Valsuelm like this

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really cannot understand the rhyme or reasoning behind DnD 4.0 or how it became sort of popular. I mean, sure it's got some amazing art, but the rules just feel..  It feels like a table top version of WoW rather then a pen & paper rpg.

I've played it a off and on and I have some gaming friends who swear by it, but it's never been my cup o' tea. For one thing no matter if it's trying to emulate WoW or not, it's unbearably slow in combat - it's not unheard of to have a single fight drag on literally for hours at higher levels because of hit points bloat and it's apparent design goal of taking the "swingy-ness" out of the game.

Every character does indeed occupy a very MMO-like combat role (striker, tank, healer, controller) but because everything is so "balanced" they all mostly feel the same in actual play; no matter what textual descriptions they have for their daily, encounter and at-will powers, every character is basically a lot like a magic-user with buckets of hit points.

For better or worse, all of the quirkiness and character of the older game was pulverized and banished; replaced with a well made, highly polished, turd ... IMHO.

• Tsuga C likes this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

It looks fine and functional for very combat-light chronicles. I'd actually DM it, but it looks like the upcoming D&D Next will have everything good about 4E, while retaining the simple elegance of the retroclones I prefer.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Next intrigues me and I've spent a little bit of time reading the playtest packets, but until I get to sit down and play it I'm reluctant to pan it or endorse it. At the very least it looks a whole lot more like D&D than 4th does.

bhex

bhex

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Steam:w2rgn
  • PSN Portable ID:Kyborgi
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kyborgi
  • Kickstarter Backer

Been the group gamemaster since (A)D&D 1st edition to 4th edition and my group has been playing all the editions and they all have their strengths and weaknesses, my personal and group favourite was the 3rd edition.

Around 15 years.

Ars Magica now only though as the fourth edition was a huge fail with all the big talk.

Aldalar

Aldalar

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Well, I stopped with 3.5...does it count as "old" now with 4th on the street?

Did the same with Vampire...never followed to Requiem. Masquerade for me!

agris

agris

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

'Retroclone' is a new term for me. I started playing PnP about 1.5 years ago with HackMaster 4e which is a retroclone of 1st ed AD&D. It's very similar with some new and clarified mechanics like Honor, extensive non-combat skills, and a punishing GM-vs-the-Players attitude that suits our table well.

I thoroughly enjoy it.

@Al2O3- how do you like HM 5e?

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

@Al2O3- how do you like HM 5e?

You mean Hackmaster? :) Never played 4e, so I'm only familiar with the new edition, called (surprisingly) Hackmaster. (Yeah, 4e was the first edition, this is the second. It's funny like that.)

I'm actually very happy with it. Dunno how things were in 4e, but stuff like the flat power curve (every second level gives you a new HD, but you can re-roll it at the next level, and keep the better result), the "memorization+mana points" spell system (spells cost mana, but memorized spells cost way less), and the fact that every class gets its own unique mechanisms is awesome. You can actually download Hackmaster Basic (first five levels, very limited chargen options) for free and try it out for yourself; my actual playtest experience is somewhat limited (we're also experimenting with DCC, LotFP and Helvéczia, which leaves little time for either game).

Also, Aldalar: you're really losing out not playing Requiem.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid, 24 February 2014 - 11:31 AM.

• agris and nikolokolus like this

agris

agris

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Interesting, sounds a lot different. I'll download the rules at some point, but we're committed to our 4e campaign right now. If you're interested in taking a peak at the old 4e player/GM handbook, shoot me a PM ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users