Collectables  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see optional item collection sidequests?

• Yes, collect many things at my house/stronghold for personal satifaction.
    • Yes, collect many things for different people for a reward
    • Yes, collect a couple different types of things at house/stronghold
    • Yes, collect a couple different types of things for people for a reward
    • No, no optional collecting

One thing I find myself doing, in RPGs that allow it, is collecting things that I have no real reason to collect. A prime example is in the Elder Scrolls games, I make it a point to collect one copy of every book, every daedric artifact, ect... even if just to leave them in a box and know that I have them. But I always thought it would be cool to have a reason for it... like maybe someone wants all those books, and will reward me in some way that isn't overly powerful, but unique to the sidequest.

What do you guys think?

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Collecting many things, especially for quests would probably be quite boring. But say the option to have a Weapon's room, where you get a display one item for every type of weapon in the game could be good. Same goes for armour - one set of full plate on display, one set of this, one of that. And changing the displayed item when you find a better one, thus building a display collection could be interesting.

I really just want an excuse to build a library of dusty tomes, especially if some of the lore in the game is presented via those books (like it was in the Baldur's Gate games, and the Elder Scrolls series)

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

I just hope the game won't feature any junk. You know, items that are only there to be sold and have no reason to be in the game in the first place. They are supposed to make the world feel realistic, but it doesn't. It just annoys the hell out of you. Books are fine, because you can read a short story, at least. They do something. I don't want to gather a ton of "broken wooden spoons" or "half-eaten black robes" or any other **** like that. Yes, Dragon Age, I'm looking at you.

Edited by True_Spike
  • Like 1

I have a love/hate thing for collection quests, hidden or not. My favorite has to be Kangaxx's skeleton parts because at the time I had no idea what they were for, but it was obvious that the parts were meaningful in some insidious way. Maybe my preference for that has to do with liking most puzzles, though. Other types of collection quests--e.g. "please get 3 of these and 2 of these for me"--can't stand them.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I am unashamedly a pack rat, I collect everything in games. Skyrim I collect books, weapons, armour and even miscellaneous items, same with Fallout 3 and Divine Divinity. Seems we will likely have a stronghold we should get some nice collectables to spice the place up a bit, especially rare things that cost a lot or give bonuses.

How enjoyable this all is to the pack rat fan like myself depends if we are going to get Divine Divinity like items scattered everywhere or Baldur's Gate style minimalistic approach. I can not express enough how irritated I was when playing Neverwinter Nights 2 when I attacked the bandits camp and they had tons of loot scattered on the floor of their hideout, but every bit of it was static props which my character could not pick up. It was a complete immersion breaker.

Here is to hoping for Divine Divinity style item assets rather than everything being static background, Project Eternity could learn a lot from that great game.

Edit - Granted it takes more time to create art, but the immersion it adds is worth it.

Edited by Aedelric
  • Like 1

I personally find secret collection quests to be a fun aspect of some rpgs, it adds a challenge for those individuals who like to be completionists. These types of things tend to be more common in Japanese rpgs like Final Fantasy from what I have seen.

I think an interesting idea might be to have some sort of collection quests associated with certain upgrades / traits of the Player Fortress. For example, finding a certain percent of unused books and scrolls would allow the building/upgrade of a library. The library would then confer certain benefits on the player (a unique spell) and the community near the fortress (loremasters and other learned NPCs start appearing in the community). Something similar could be done with weapons for an armory, food items for a larder, wine for a wine cellar (a must!), ect. This would also be a more interesting method for storing items then the old party chest. It would be incredibly cool if there would also be a graphic representation of each type of item in the room (ie, a book on the shelf, or a weapon hanging from the wall).

• Like 1

While I don't care amuch either way, I kinda dislike when it's a "Gotta Catch 'Em All" quest with neon lights pointing at these "special" items. There should just be items that you happen to cross and you go "hey, i want that for my Barbie Doll Hou-, I mean, "Stronghold" ".

I am unashamedly a pack rat, I collect everything in games. Skyrim I collect books, weapons, armour and even miscellaneous items, same with Fallout 3 and Divine Divinity.

Here is to hoping for Divine Divinity style item assets rather than everything being static background, Project Eternity could learn a lot from that great game.

Oh, don't mind me, I love collecting things, too.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

Sure, like the idea of having a "library", so you can have easy access to all books to read them without carrying them around without making books immediately a codex entry.

All you need is find 1 book and add it to the collection.

The reward? Information. And information is power :D.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Boss monster heads, treated by a taxidermist then mounted along the walls in my man cave. :)

It's funny that you say that, I almost posted a list of examples, and "heads of your enemies" was going to be jokingly thrown in there.

-Tulas Shorn

Something like the golden pantaloons / silver pantaloons / bronze pantalettes would be awesome to have in the game. Some items that seems completely worthless but can be turned into something awesome, even if it's in the expansion of the sequel.

Boss monster heads, treated by a taxidermist then mounted along the walls in my man cave. :)

It's funny that you say that, I almost posted a list of examples, and "heads of your enemies" was going to be jokingly thrown in there.

Yep, it was meant as a kind of gag suggestion. But I'm sure there will be some players who'll want to do it... :-

Why not post your examples?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

OP, your poll and post are confusing. Are you talking about collection quests (collect x items for y person), hoarding items for completeness' sake, or optional collectibles you can use to adorn your base (a la ME2/3)?

I don't mind collection sidequests, if it gives me access to new areas. It's a staple of the genre, and I've come to expect it.

In regards to collectibles themselves, I think they should be standard in RPG games. Giving you the ability to deck out your house/stronghold in unique items and artifacts you find along the way gives a touch of uniqueness and personality to each playthrough.

One thing I find myself doing, in RPGs that allow it, is collecting things that I have no real reason to collect. A prime example is in the Elder Scrolls games, I make it a point to collect one copy of every book, every daedric artifact, ect... even if just to leave them in a box and know that I have them. But I always thought it would be cool to have a reason for it... like maybe someone wants all those books, and will reward me in some way that isn't overly powerful, but unique to the sidequest.

What do you guys think?

Honestly?

I think The Elder Scrolls games waste fantastic amounts of time and money rendering every single fork and paintbrush so that it can be collected, when the actual gameplay desperately needs redesign.

That said, collectables can be interesting if they serve a purpose (Lore or otherwise) in game. A mage collecting artifacts that once completed ultimately give him a new spell, or open a new quest is great.

But rendering mundane things just for the sake of rendering them is a waste.

I think The Elder Scrolls games waste fantastic amounts of time and money rendering every single fork and paintbrush so that it can be collected, when the actual gameplay desperately needs redesign.

But rendering mundane things just for the sake of rendering them is a waste.

I quite enjoyed those little touches. They gave the environment body and structure, especially because they followed physics. It brings the setting more to life and makes it immersive.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I never collected spoons and junk in Elder Scrolls... but I did collect arguably equally pointless stuff, like Dwemer Coins, the more expensive wines, etc...

As the stronghold stretch goal grows nearer, ideas for what I'd want to fill it with start coming up (some of which were already stated by others).

Books for your library

Fancy, rare wines for your cellar

Idols to each god for your temple/shrine

Monster skulls/heads for your trophy room

Rare weapons and artifacts for your armory

Works of art to adorn the previously blank stone walls in various places

There shouldn't be any penalty for not attempting these collections, but it'd be cool to get little bonuses as you make progress in them.

Edited by Rajaat the Warbringer

-Tulas Shorn

I have collected all the books I can find in the ES games there is alot of lore there. Some days I start morrowind up and dont even get any playing done I just sit there in my stolen house and read.

*edit morrowind not morrowing...

Edited by santanzchild
  • Like 1

I know collections are kind of a new thing added to pretty much all games these days. Even though it's not an 'old' school thing to reward people for collecting random things for no reason. We all did it anyways, may as well be rewarded for it. I've always collected stuff just because it was in the game, like many people have. I try to get at least one of everything, and it's sort of a personal goal. I guess while rewards would take away from the personal satisfaction of just doing it, it's also a nice added feature.

However, with that being said. I'd prefer something a long the lines of BG2 where you collect something and not know that it's part of a reward later on. Example being the pantaloons. It's kind of a nice surprise to be rewarded for collecting something without being told that there was a reward for it.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.