Orcs  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see orcs in the game ?

• Yes, but only as evil common monsters.
    • Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3.
    • Yes- but only if there will by other races like halfogres etc.
    • NO !!!

If there are orcs - or whatever thay call them - they should just be a race that's there minding their own business.

They shouldn't be stupid (they could of course be on average smarter or not than certain other races).

They shoudn't be always chaotic evil.

They should just be a race with a developed history both in regards to their own culture and the relationships they may have developed with neighbouring races.

• Like 2

Tychoxi

I think the same, in almost every game they where presented as retards, but i don't know why. Ofcurse they mayby uglier ok, they may by brutes but wy stupid i newer understand that. And they are just WEEK. Half orcs i neverwinter had only ultrawision (seeing in darknes) +2 to strenght and - 2 to inteligence and charisma. and nothing more even half orcs were week and almost unplayable.

i personali think that lets say orcs has -4 to charisma (lets say high negative reaction becouse people think that they are ugly and people are afraid of them) and +2 (or more) to strenght and +2 to condiotion (hp points)and they should by a little bit resistant tu magic (positiv and negattic efects) and mayby even fire a litli bit. they should by at least as inteligent as humans becous they also like humans have priests, alchemists, wizards, shamans and magic users mayby not as good in offencive magic but good in any other (summoning).

And this is prapobly the best cinematic that include orc race... enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVrThqhlLA&feature=related

Edited by ArchBeast

The classical Tolkien "Always Chaotic Evil" orc and the Warcraft green-skinned noble savage orc are both worn out cliches at this point. I'd rather not see either of them, but the former is less offensive in its simplicity.

Green Qunari, really?

Edited by Infinitron

I'm not particularly keen on playable orcs as they are usually played as the oppressed race then which is getting old. If they do have them in then I also hope they aren't green, that was a Warhammer thing due to them being a fungus, would much prefer the original grey or brown skintones, fits better.

And I would prefer they put playable kobolds and goblins in first! :p

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I would love to see the shamanistic snoble savage type of orcs you see in Warcraft III/WoW or even the Elder Scoll series. I would also like to see them as a playable race if that's possible.

That's what i'm talking about i played orc only in morrowind and skyrim and i thik they where a little bit tu nice, i whould love to play some kind or orc like Thrall from warcraft, that looks like orc, not atak everywone but when hi must fight he don't cry about it.

I'd rather have half-ogres, they're less used. They were great in Arcanum.

USED ?! :D Sorry man but i remember only few games that orcs was playable race,(half-ogres only in ancanum) in elderscrolls and warcraft, elfs, dwarwes are almost in every fantasy game. Playing as half ogre or even pure ogre whould by geat. But i think that Orcs in our subculture terribly put aside but they have potential they can by not only a low race like in D&D they can by even use as employed as reflected Mongol hordes, even the most powerfull race (controlling most lands). They can by portrayed as a race that seeks its place, hated race, even though it really just looking for their place in the world. I think that this race should be called the Orcs, but it may well ogres would, besides, there is nothing to prevent the creation of orcs higher (with their own state and diplomatic relations) and lower orcs ( beast who bearly can hold a weapon and acts more like trolls from Skyrim) to create a powerful historical base of this race is huge, and he would like to finally taken care of her, half-ogres clear they can be but it's not just about the name of the race (I suspect that supporters of other green like Humanoids will not complain if, instead of, say, half-get well taken orcs).

And i thing that putting orc intu the lure whould by much more realistic, and easy than "godlike-race" pff .

I think that putting something like qunari from dragon age orgins but green and a little bit more orkish whould by great. But why i am saying that orc whould by better than half-ogres becouse half-ogres whould allways by sub-race, something not independent. But orc can easly by independet race/nation.

Thanks everywone for respond.

Yes, half-ogres are less used than orcs, by far. Your response doesn't really make sense to me.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Archmage Silver

Sorry for my english. I mean that this whould by grate to play Helf-ogres. But only if theere will by orcs to :D.

I think that orcs not only are not-used mayby only for "The bad guys" but they never take much part of any lure, only i warcrat or elder scrolls they have been shown in other way.

Infinitron

Yes that is only a reference, they don't need to be named "ORCS", half orcs or ever something like playeble qunari will do ..is, however, I remain, thu the name of Orcs becouse they are MOST popular Barberian, savege like race but if wy will gate PURE ogre i will by great to.

I'm not follower or fan the Idea of "HALF-Races". Becouse the only half-elfs that are numerous enough to be regarded as a new ethnic group but take depends on humans or elves and have at least a little bit of independence from their parents. But a half-ogre, half-trolls or the other is only a few and they are probably quite dependent on either of his monstrous clan or man. The likelihood that our great hero would be half-troll is almost impossible and implausible. BUT if there were any other independent race and not a result of hybridization such as Ogres, ORCS, Qunari or somthing simillar and probability is much bigger and much more convincing ME. Certainly convinces me more than the possibility that my grandfather was a demon from hell or grandmother was a angel who flew to earth to experience the night life.

Edited by ArchBeast

Meh. I think P:E has enough of your typical fantasy elements in. Though I'm sure they'll give them a nice twist.

I'd rather see a brand new race/species to substitute for the orcs.

Or maybe simply replace them with a troll very similar to the northern european folklore trolls.

Ah well, I'm sure we'll see something orc-like, even though it might not go by that name.

• Like 1

And what about Urucs ? or Urcs ... there are some kinde of diffrent orcs. Tolkien had somethink like uruk-hai that they where a much stronger and i remember that i Hearoes III we have urk race as upgraded orc race. and they where almous unused.

lunatyk00.jpg

Edited by ArchBeast

I feel the orcs should be the classical evil creatures they have always been, evil creatures fit only to be dangerous foes to the player and defeated as such

Sure there should be different factions of them but their unifying strand would be how evil they are , I believe thats how it was done in Icewind dale games and most other good games.

I feel the orcs should be the classical evil creatures they have always been, evil creatures fit only to be dangerous foes to the player and defeated as such

Sure there should be different factions of them but their unifying strand would be how evil they are , I believe thats how it was done in Icewind dale games and most other good games.

Ehh. I don't think pure evil creatures have much room in P:E.

Give them different mindsets and ideologies that might make them seem evil to others, but to themselves make perfect sense.

As an example, cannibals in remote parts of our world might seem horrifying and evil to most "civilized" people.

But to them, eating their opponent is a way of honoring them, and showing a wish to gain some of their strength by eating their flesh

or heart, or what have you.

(I am in no way an expert in the field, but I know some remote tribes hold that belief at least)

Misunderstood races/enemies is more interesting that pure evil ones.

Edited by Vargr
  • Like 1

Revan91

Is this diffrent ?

Ork (folklore)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ork is a demon of Tyrol alpine folklore. He lives on mountains, Almen, rock holes, or valleys. It warns the noble game of hunters, or can be savage and bring geisser to the cattle. It was feared like the aufhocker. As a dwarf, the ork was a well-behaved kobold/house spirit in wine cellars. He may be connected to the figure Orkise in the medieval poem Virginal, about Dietrich von Bern's battle with a vaguely similar being.

A particular kind of ork is the Orco Burlevole (Tricky Ork), very popular in the area of Verona. This tall, horse-feeted and haired man, who lives in caves or abandoned houses, can assume every form, produce every sound and even alterate the victim perception of place or time. Despite his great power his only goal is to joke the victims and, when he thinks to have enjoyed it sufficiently he disappears in a sulphur cloud saying "Te l'o fata!" meaning, in the local language, "I did it to you".

• Like 1

Orcs are cool, especially as a playable race (Arcanum did it really well) but not like enemies (no NWN 2-style orc caves FFS). On the other hand, we have enough traditional fantasy races already. Better make something more original that will fit in PE setting.

Edited by Lysen

Orcs are cool, especially as a playable race (Arcanum did it really well) but not like enemies (no NWN 2-style orc caves FFS). On the other hand, we have enough traditional fantasy races already. Better make something more original that will fit in PE setting.

Then why allways wen it comes (to bring something new) it comes to orc, for exaple dwarfes and elf are overused way more then them expecially as playable race. Why we don't have some kind of Na'vi people (blu furs from Avatar) insead of Elves they are simmillar but somekind of Na'vi like creatures are waaaay more original then tipical Elves.

I whoulden't mind blue elf let's say night or water elves. But WHY we are overdoing the same race over, over and over again and worst thing that elves from D&D, Arcanum, tolkien etc. Al amlous the same always sugary goood, alway beatufull.

The only original adaptation tu elves in las years appear in WITCHER where elves where discriminatied, living in "Non-human ghettos" and fighting with human opressors etc. And humans and elves hate each oother.

The Dragon Age Orgin adapted simillar idea (almost like in half of production they thought about it) but not so good.

Why Replace ORCS ?! Replace ELVES !!! AAA For the HORDE !!!

forthehorde1dv.jpg

Edited by ArchBeast

Personally I hate seeing orcs that are labeled something else.

Fighting the darkspawn...that was lame man. I'd rather have had traditional enemies, darkspawn were just ugly and I felt less joy slaughtering them.

I want to fight the old-school fantasy monsters in this old-school fantasy rpg, not some renamed slightly different or just plain weird monsters.

I'm fine with having every cliche' monster possible in this game.

Give me a talking dragon that guards it's treasure with riddles!

I digress....

I hope orcs make it in the game one way or another. I'd love to see them as enemies only, but if they are in the game at all that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Personally I hate seeing orcs that are labeled something else.

Fighting the darkspawn...that was lame man. I'd rather have had traditional enemies, darkspawn were just ugly and I felt less joy slaughtering them.

I think that darspawn as a race also had potential but Bioware distroyded it. Making this race some king of, hybrid between orc, undead, demon, serial rapist and not thinking ant or robots. Sorry the ARCHDEMON buuuuuu..... some dragon on hang-over or after bomb encounter leading armis of easy kills, they distroyed potention of that race, even putting supermutants from fallout whould be better. Some mutaded dragon as a ARCHEVIL and chick, witch wanded to make some kids with... you to save your life ... hahaha

Even Joker from Batman whould be better :D

By the way if they whant to change name for ORC to something diffrent, wy not change dwarfs or elves ... or even humans. Everywon is cool with elves but when it comes to orc wy must find new name on it or HIDE it so nowone will notice ... wtf ?

Edited by ArchBeast

Meh, orcs.

I'd rather not see them unless they're subverted a bit like the boreal Dwarf ranger... maybe as a native trading civilization with better technology than some of those in the world, with building obsession like Tolkien Dwarves and food obsession like Tolkien Hobbits and a deeply rooted 2-god religion, and maybe you could build reputation. I dunno. If the Tolkien-esque races so far in PE (elves and dwarves) are more original, then orcs must follow the same pattern and not be plain ol' "enemies" for no good reason, which would be dumbing down a bit...

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

ok. 3 day of poll and we have most answers on "Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3." and second "NO !!"

So conclusion is simple peaople whant is dane well or omited like Tale sad.

But i don't know why only few of "No man" respond "Why no ?". I whan't to know why some people don't wan't them or any barberian-like race. So if you are on "NO !!" then at least say why.

Thanks everywon for participading in poll and for thouse who respond.

Edited by ArchBeast

I wouldn't like to play as one.

Don't really care if they're in the game or not. If there's a call for a barbarin style race, it's no difference to me whether they're orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, bugbears, trollkin, ogrespawn, kobolds or whatever. And I'd definitely prefer there's only one race. Variety of just the same kinds of creatures with different name and appearance don't hold appeal.

For the first 10 years after first reading Lord of the Rings it was important every rpg would have them, and it was real annoying when RuneQuest would try to not have orcs at all. But the interest leveled out, even if it took a long time. And I've never been into Warcraft or Warhammer, so there's no interest from that direction either.

So mark me down as "whatever", don't really care either way.

But like asking if I want city guards with halberds and chainmail. Umm.... don't see why not, sure, but I'm not going to fuss over it.

People say stupid and strong... and I recall Minsk from BG. He was stupid and strong however good. Now tell me how many people prefered to keep Minks in their party? My point is that stupid/smart, strong/intellegent, evil/good, orc/human means nothing. The story behind and character features make fun play. Culture is important and what makes difference as many said.

And Orc race has a good seed in it to develop a good culture. I can think about Dothraki tribes from A Song of Ice and Fire for instance. IMHO it will be much harder to develop new reace from scratch. So I support jivex5k completely.

So I voted Yes - fully playable.

MjH_Wave_by_MADjaHEAD.gif

People say stupid and strong... and I recall Minsk from BG. He was stupid and strong however good. Now tell me how many people prefered to keep Minks in their party? My point is that stupid/smart, strong/intellegent, evil/good, orc/human means nothing. The story behind and character features make fun play. Culture is important and what makes difference as many said.

Haha.. When i first encoter Minsk i thougt that he is half-orc. Even his "Space-hamster" were perfect for this race. You see someone looking as a monster and then hi jump with "Space-Hamster" wrrrrrrrrrr.... not my hamster... not my hamster ...wrrrrr hehe

Information from this forum, from Live Q&A

the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.

Something like Qunari ? :D I only hope they at least are simmillar to half-orcs :can hold two--handed weapons in 1 hand and some kind of bushido/ qunari like moral code :D

Edited by ArchBeast