Kickstarter for Old-school RPG manned by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall

C2B

I'm confident they'll make it, especially with Notch pointing to it and he's probably the one that gave 10K. I was worried about Dead State because Brian Mitsoda has no name recognition, and while it's my second favourite game VtM: Bloodlines isn't universally loved as it should be and that made 332K.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

so guys i read the mountain of text on their kickstarter homepage and so far I have no clue as to what this game is gonna be. so it's an old school first person RPG - what does that mean? like lands of lore? or Might & Magic?? and combat will be turn based.

so does this mean it will look like Skyrim - but with a party and without the ability to play it in third-person view? but the fighting will be turn based like in the old Might & Magic games?

I'm a bit confused what exactly i am supposed to back here and I won't put my money into something where i have no idea what it really is.... so have I missed something? What are your thoughts?

Fantasy artwork has been tired more or less since I've been born. The truth is: it works for a lot of people, and quite a few people actually want *that* and nothing else from their RPGs. Classic, possibly silly-looking fantasy, not something unique.

That's true. Also sad. Its hardly "fantasy" if its always the same. P&P systems aren't much better themselves either, but with them you can pick and choose. That's why I'm pretty sick of fantasy in general and Tolkien copycats in particular.

The fact that Project Eternity is sticking to these notions (even though there is no reason to, they got the cash without revealing anything at all) is a major minus in my book.

As for this kickstarter I wouldn't support it if I had the money because the games they consider classics - like Wizardry are obsolete for me. There is a reason the demand for Infinity engine type RPG's is so high and low to non existent for pre-infinity games. They're bloody outdated.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

so guys i read the mountain of text on their kickstarter homepage and so far I have no clue as to what this game is gonna be. so it's an old school first person RPG - what does that mean? like lands of lore? or Might & Magic?? and combat will be turn based.

so does this mean it will look like Skyrim - but with a party and without the ability to play it in third-person view? but the fighting will be turn based like in the old Might & Magic games?

I'm a bit confused what exactly i am supposed to back here and I won't put my money into something where i have no idea what it really is.... so have I missed something? What are your thoughts?

It's like the later Wizardry games. (Wizardry 8 is prominently featured on the Kickstarter page)

Sadly, I don't think they are digitally available. :(

Edited by C2B

It's like the later Wizardry games. (Wizardry 8 is prominently featured on the Kickstarter page)

Sadly, I don't think they are digitally available. :(

huh, ok I understood that differently then. I thought the wizardry references were to the extent that the developers had experience in / worked on those games (and commander keen, doom Ultima etc.) and not that they want to do the new game in that style.

I just checked out wizardry 8 on mobygames so now i have a pretty good idea about what the new game is supposed to be, so thanks!

For whatever reason, the more I read about the game details the more my brain says Might & Magic. Maybe it's because of the slight sci-fi untertones or the 2 games in 1 Kickstarter stretch goal, which makes me think of M&M 4: Clouds of Xeen and M&M 5: Darkside of Xeen. That certainly wouldn't be a bad thing since I really liked that series.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've read through the newest update but I'm still a little confused about what they're trying to do. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've read through the newest update but I'm still a little confused about what they're trying to do. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

I am confused (again) too. In the most recent update there is this future style artwork and something about the year 2526 and big corporations and stuff...huh? So is it set in a SciFi universe?? on the frontpage it looks like dungeons and dragonos style?!

I am confused (again) too. In the most recent update there is this future style artwork and something about the year 2526 and big corporations and stuff...huh? So is it set in a SciFi universe?? on the frontpage it looks like dungeons and dragonos style?!

I gather its a bit like the later Wizardry games where you had spaceships, robots and high fantasy. In fact it seems like there are two worlds a high fantasy world and a high tech world and the plot of the first game is a high techer stranded on the high fantasy world. I'm also gathering that this character is the protagonist of the first game (or is he just central to the plot - I dunno!)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Both Might and Magic and to a lesser extent early Ultima had some sci-fi backstory too, and it kind of looks like that's what's happening here - guess that's "old-school" in a sense.

Reads like you play a "future" guy who gets stranded (in both time and space, unclear) in a medieval world. If you squint, it's kind of like the Avatar arriving in Britannia from Earth. If the big stretch goal is reached, the second game will be a colleague of the first game's protagonist who's stranded on a different, more advanced (sounds almost post-apocalyptic?) world.

EDIT: Getting a "Quantum Leap" sort of vibe - I guess the central gameplay conceit is that the "fixed" protagonist jumps into the body of the player character that you create (presumably the party leader of the four members). So you leap into the past to prevent a predicted apocalypse in the future.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Romero's involvement is being hidden due to THE GAME THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED.

I backed it because I like the idea, which is essentially sci-fi future professional LARPers travelling to various worlds to play assigned roles who get stranded due to some unknown cataclysm. There's nothing I want to see in a game more than science (SCIENCE!) vs. magic.

Edited by AGX-17

Anachronox, Wizardry 8, Jagged Alliance are among my most beloved of games, so Im gonna pledge once more to PE and then definitely send my money their way for sure. As long as I can remember Might and Magic 7 or 8 had a plot with space aliens, but that was pretty much it. I see more Wizardry in their project and I dare to say a bit of Albion perhaps?

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.