Stretch Goal - hire Justin Sweet to make portraits.

Sweet was involved in the Icewind Dale series, so in truth it'd be more like going back to the roots :)

After all, PE is very much about nostalgia and bringing back the old titles.

And should this stretch goal bring more funding into the project, all the better!

i see what you did there.jpg :p

One could say that going BG portraits type mode would also be going back to the roots ;)

For me PE is not about nostalgia or bringing back the old titles.

For me PE is about bringing back GOOD cRPGs that have been quite rare for the past decade or so.

Don't get me wrong. It would also please me immensely to have Sweets doing portraits and artwork.

One simply looks at his works and goes "oh man! I want to play that game! Now!"

Just imagine if we had all relevant NPCs with his artwork. And slide shows for major plot events stamped with his illustrations. As well as ending slides (for the multiple endings).... mmmmm

*snap*

Anyway, the thing is Obsidian already has artists and I think they should be given a chance to shine, even more when this is Obsidian's game.

And the ranger dwarf concept they posted does reassure me the game will be in good hands.

BTW, I think you, and the other users interested in this thread, should vote on the stretch goals thread and go for the "More and better artwork (more portraits for PCs and diversity for NPCs, also artwork for items)" option ;) It needs some help.

http://forums.obsidi...-stretch-goals/

And yet, this thread needs more Justin Sweet!

02entrance.jpg

Although this art is reallly good, it's not really a portrait, no? This type of art would be great for narrated events, or even as cutscene replacements, but not for a portrait. BG and NwN1's portraits are more focused on the character's face, which makes it much more personal I think.

Meh....I'm sure their in-house artists can do just fine and then the in-game portraits are a small part of it. I'd much rather they use stretch marks for more significant additions.....this just seems like a waste. It's not like I'll sit there admiring portraits or something, no, I'll see them, maybe think they're neat or not and move on out as I go about my business.

Don't get me wrong this Justin dude is great and all I just think Obsidian can make much better use of the kickstarter money.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Is it realistic to think Justin Sweet himself would be okay with waiting around to become part of a stretch goal? Surely if PE was thinking about it they would just contact him, ask him if he is interested but only after they have the cash? It's not like they can guarantee his interest or availability. Even if they contacted him before having the cash to ask him if it was okay to use him as a stretch goal how flattered would he be, or how annoyed if the goal was not reached?

Meh....I'm sure their in-house artists can do just fine and then the in-game portraits are a small part of it. I'd much rather they use stretch marks for more significant additions.....this just seems like a waste. It's not like I'll sit there admiring portraits or something, no, I'll see them, maybe think they're neat or not and move on out as I go about my business.

Don't get me wrong this Justin dude is great and all I just think Obsidian can make much better use of the kickstarter money.

I also have a preference for their in-house artists, I think that is only fair. Besides, the dwarf ranger as pretty good IMO.

But in any case I'd love to see more artwork in the game. A lot more than we even had on old IE games. And if they need Justin to join the ranks, even better.

To me this is a very significant add-on. It can give so much character to an NPC and to a location. And make narrations something memorable and exciting.

Although this art is reallly good, it's not really a portrait, no? This type of art would be great for narrated events, or even as cutscene replacements, but not for a portrait. BG and NwN1's portraits are more focused on the character's face, which makes it much more personal I think.

True. But I guess the problem we are used to a certain type of interface.

Now imagine we have something like this instead (adapted from the Age of Decadence UI):

G8mTH.jpg

Am I the only one who would like to have such a thing?

Note: this wouldn't be for all NPCs, just the major ones.

• Like 3

I have nothing against any of the art that I've seen for the game so far, but I do have fond memories for the character portraits of the Icewind Dale series. Each portrait felt like it had a backstory even though the party itself was generated by the player.

Even if they don't get Justin Sweet back to do portraits, I'd be happy if the artist they do tap is able to make the portraits themselves come alive in a similar vein.

Edited by halobender

I'm fairly sure they are called stretch goals ;)

(hint: careful if googling stretch marks at work).

As a fan of fantasy art in general, having a decent collection including signed reproductions of some of the old TSR masters (Clyde Caldwell etc.), I've always loved that part of crpgs. Justin Sweet is a great illustrator/concept artist and I wouldn't mind seeing some of Jason Manley's work too. It's all about price though and how much commission it's going to cost.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I will echo a sentiment spoken by a few others, which is that I love Sweet's work, and while I think it would be fantastic too see, if his work did indeed synergised well with Project Infinity's aesthetic and goals, this will not necessarily be the case.

Project Infinity may pursue an aesthetic, or a manner of presentation, which just doesn't quite match with this style ideally. We can't yet know for sure.

If this type of art works well for Project Infinity, it would then be great to see Justin Sweet's return. But if not, so be it. Project Infinity can't be beholden to a specific art style, merely for the sake of a given portrait artist appearing in the credits.

• Like 1

This thread is pretty insulting to the artistic talent in house at Obsidian.

From what I saw today in the concept for Edair, they are pursuing an art direction sensibility which I am very much in favor of; a restrained, believable world which will hopefully feel organic. I will be very interested in seeing how they develop monsters, magical items and magic itself with this type quasi-realistic style.

I like Justin Sweet's work (although it may not fit based on what was released today), but I also like what I saw in DS3 and what was released today, so I am confidant that we will get a coherent, exciting visual representation of the setting and characters.

From what I saw today in the concept for Edair, they are pursuing an art direction sensibility which I am very much in favor of; a restrained, believable world which will hopefully feel organic. I will be very interested in seeing how they develop monsters, magical items and magic itself with this type quasi-realistic style.

I liked the dwarf ranger concept art they posted.

But I really don't fancy what was posted today. It reminds me of DA:O.

I prefer an artistic direction to a realistic one.

I liked the dwarf ranger concept art they posted.

But I really don't fancy what was posted today. It reminds me of DA:O.

I prefer an artistic direction to a realistic one.

I think what was shown today was plenty artistic, not just very fantastic. I agree that this could veer into the vast blandness that was DA:O's art style, but I think the artists at obsidian are aware of the failings of the aforementioned and would try to avoid them.

What I like about the art released today is that creates a baseline that is realistic, that is why I commented on the adding of magical items, etc. These things can lead to a sort of layering if you will which could become very rich and textured if done right.

Were inXile's writers insulted when it was announced that Obsidian's Chris Avellone will join their team?

I'd think that, if anything, they were delighted to have such a talented writer helping them create Wasteland 2.

I absolutely love both Justin Sweet & Jason Manley's work. They convey more than just the characters, but a sense of atmosphere that really transcends what 3D graphics do.

Having said that, I absolutely love the dwarven ranger concept art that was shared. Conveys action, atmosphere, and a darn cool character concept. Here's hoping for more artwork in that vein.

Were inXile's writers insulted when it was announced that Obsidian's Chris Avellone will join their team?

I'd think that, if anything, they were delighted to have such a talented writer helping them create Wasteland 2.

I don't know the mechanics behind how Chris Avellone wound up a part of the Wasteland 2 project. I do know that there is a difference between the enthusiastic call by a community for art direction, "in the style of..." and, "we want this guy because we know his stuff, and like it." It conveys a lack of confidence, even if we all know that no disrespect is intended (and I don't believe that any disrespect is intended).

I can't and wouldn't want to speak for the art people at Obsidian, only what I know about the creative professions in general; and I know a great deal about that.

I don't know the mechanics behind how Chris Avellone wound up a part of the Wasteland 2 project. I do know that there is a difference between the enthusiastic call by a community for art direction, "in the style of..." and, "we want this guy because we know his stuff, and like it." It conveys a lack of confidence, even if we all know that no disrespect is intended (and I don't believe that any disrespect is intended).

I can't and wouldn't want to speak for the art people at Obsidian, only what I know about the creative professions in general; and I know a great deal about that.

Chris' involvement was one of the stretch goals :

(...) if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obsidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game.

source : http://www.rockpaper...-one-condition/

There was a sharp increase of pledges after that announcement (end of March) :

dailypledges.png

It certainly wasn't my intention to express my lack of confidence in the Obsidian's art team; I just thought that this game would certaintly (almost ANY game would in my opinion, for that matter) benefit from Sweet's involvement, as I'm sure we'll both agree that he's a very talented artist.

Moreover, there's a strong possibility that such stretch goal would contribute greatly towards securing even bigger funding (as it was in WL2's case).

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

The bodies are drawn very detailed, but I found the "high res" BG2 portraits more to my liking.

They had more color and liveliness as the above example. (I just saw an Imoen Avatar above I think)

The pictures here look beautiful - yes - but a bit lifeless and more suited for nameless characters.

But that is just my opinion.

The portraits were made for generic fantasy characters unlike BG in which every portrait was made for a living, breathing, thinking character with a personality. BG portraits would be best for the Companions, the Icewind Dale ones would be best for your specific character customization.

• Like 1

I agree. Seldom have I seen portraits as tasteful, exotic and, in some cases, erotic (in a very good sense), while at the same time seing realistic enough for me to be thinking "Yes, that is how a Paladin would actually look like in a snowy waste." Good portraits are the first step on the road of gameplay immersion, and as such I find artistic, painted portratis to be much more to my tastes rather that any 3D nonsense thrown at me in other titles.

This man is channeling my soul. ^Listen to him Project Eternity

• Like 1