Armour and weapon designs - a plea.

kevlar vests, cause they need to be bulletproof ;)

a cuirass seems to be ok, or some other forms of breastplates - something that will be able to safeguard the torso, while still giving a lot of freedom for hand movements, etc.

some enhanced versions of leathers might be good too

There is not much that can save you from a bullet shot to the head, even a musket bulletshot, so I see helmets redundant in the case of mages.

Think of the armor as light as possible but at the same time giving enough stopping power to protect from a musket shot. For other things they have magic.

Edited by Darkpriest

. . .

I've seen some of your other posts around the forum now. I understand the problem. I'm sorry but I can't continue to talk to you given what I've seen.

On the topic of wizards (since we know they'll be wearing armour) :

What sort of armour & weapon designs you'd find fitting for them?

Personally, I'd envision magic users wearing cuirasses :

Castle%20Granson%20cuirass%20it%C3%A1liai.jpg

And wielding rapiers.

I'm sure it's possible, if they're really going that way. Though I do wonder how, exactly, what you can wear will be decided. For example if anyone can wear anything regardless of class (provided classes of course) I wonder if there will still be limitations. Like feats to wear particular armors types or skills or maybe simple statistical requirements. Soft limitations anyone can potentially work toward.

I suppose they could just allow any equipment at a base too.

-

On the note about what designs? Hhmmm, I can't help but think we'll see Wizard-type characters ending up in very similar armor to a Cleric or Paladin. You say a Rapier, and that sounds neat, but I can't help but think people will jump right for a sword and shield or what have you. I mean . . . if they have no instant limitation, or ways to work toward wielding whatever they want, I imagine they will right? :)

Maybe it's just one of those things we need more information on.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

On the topic of wizards (since we know they'll be wearing armour) :

What sort of armour & weapon designs you'd find fitting for them?

I sort of suspect the concept art you posted might be a mage - just going by the way he holds his right hand (and partly the scroll in the left), plus the layered-but-flexible armour and cloak.

I'm sure it's possible, if they're really going that way. Though I do wonder how, exactly, what you can wear will be decided. For example if anyone can wear anything regardless of class (provided classes of course) I wonder if there will still be limitations. Like feats to wear particular armors types or skills or maybe simple statistical requirements. Soft limitations anyone can potentially work toward.

Personally, I'd prefer it if everyone could use any type of armour, but not necessarily want to - i.e. some armour types would benefit certain playstyles more, while prohibit others.

But that's a discussion for another topic :)

On the note about what designs? Hhmmm, I can't help but think we'll see Wizard-type characters ending up in very similar armor to a Cleric or Paladin.

What if the wizards looked like this, only with a cuirass worn on top of that?

53953_1163293.jpg

Practical, well protected, but still very wizard-ish. That sort of armour would suit them best I'd think - it doesn't limit freedom of movement much.

You say a Rapier, and that sounds neat, but I can't help but think people will jump right for a sword and shield or what have you. I mean . . . if they have no instant limitation, or ways to work toward wielding whatever they want, I imagine they will right? :)

Rapier is a precision weapon, I'd think it'd suit a magic user well.

Wizards could be required to have one hand free at all times, for the purpose of spellcasting of course; that said maybe they could elect to equip a shield - losing access to their spells, but gaining some defensive measures. Possibly as a last ditch effort?

• Like 1

. . .

I've seen some of your other posts around the forum now. I understand the problem. I'm sorry but I can't continue to talk to you given what I've seen.

When it comes to trying to gracefully run away from a loosing conversation, I'll give your effort a 5...out of 10.

Mages with a breastplate?

Meh, why not... sounds ok.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Personally, I'd prefer it if everyone could use any type of armour, but not necessarily want to - i.e. some armour types would benefit certain playstyles more, while prohibit others.

On the note about what designs? Hhmmm, I can't help but think we'll see Wizard-type characters ending up in very similar armor to a Cleric or Paladin.

53953_1163293.jpg

Practical, well protected, but still very wizard-ish. That sort of armour would suit them best I'd think - it doesn't limit freedom of movement much.

You say a Rapier, and that sounds neat, but I can't help but think people will jump right for a sword and shield or what have you. I mean . . . if they have no instant limitation, or ways to work toward wielding whatever they want, I imagine they will right? :)

Wizards could be required to have one hand free at all times, for the purpose of spellcasting of course; that said maybe they could elect to equip a shield - losing access to their spells, but gaining some defensive measures. Possibly as a last ditch effort?

I like it, breastplate over mage robes fits brilliantly, and the rapier works though I can also see him with a brace of pistols working too, especially if they work well against rival mages.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I like it, breastplate over mage robes fits brilliantly, and the rapier works though I can also see him with a brace of pistols working too, especially if they work well against rival mages.

I pretty much never play as a mage, but having a brace of pistols and a rapier would change my mind quickly :p

And that's a good idea, when the spells fail, there's always a trusty wheellock.

Edited by Karranthain

Judging from the released concept art, I feel fairly confident in the aesthetics of the game.

Yeah, not into the boob plate with nipple bulge.

From the practical and realistic POV, that's just meh. Very much get the vibe of "of course we're catering to stereotypical male gamer expectations, duh."

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Judging from the released concept art, I feel fairly confident in the aesthetics of the game.

From the practical and realistic POV, that's just meh. Very much get the vibe of "of course we're catering to stereotypical male gamer expectations, duh."

True, hopefully that's toned down a little bit in final version. At least they avoided making the two-separate bulge mistake, There's a good article I read somewhere (edit: http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/) on this mentioning how having two bulges would deflect strikes straight toward the middle where a normal plate deflects strikes to the sides.

Edited by Shardbearer

Herald of the Obsidian Order

I pretty much never play as a mage, but having a brace of pistols and a rapier would change my mind quickly :p

And that's a good idea, when the spells fail, there's always a trusty wheellock.

It's something that's already seemed obvious to me: if there are pistols and muskets around which are relatively simple to use why wouldn't a mage have one stashed on him for those rare "Oh crap!" moments? :D

"You're out of spells now mag-" *BANG!*

"My finger can still pull a trigger..."

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

It's something that's already seemed obvious to me: if there are pistols and muskets around which are relatively simple to use why wouldn't a mage have one stashed on him for those rare "Oh crap!" moments? :D

"You're out of spells now mag-" *BANG!*

"My finger can still pull a trigger..."

Especially because, as you've mentioned, they'd come in handy against rival mages.

This is how spell battles could be resolved :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

;)

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

True, hopefully that's toned down a little bit in final version. At least they avoided making the two-separate bulge mistake, There's a good article I read somewhere (edit: http://madartlab.com...-and-lady-bits/) on this mentioning how having two bulges would deflect strikes straight toward the middle where a normal plate deflects strikes to the sides.

Which bit of concept art are you guys talking about there? Have I been sleeping again and missed out on new stuff? :)

Especially because, as you've mentioned, they'd come in handy against rival mages.

This is how spell battles could be resolved :

;)

Oh hell yes! :D I can see that being some upstart mage challenging his master, calling down impressive displays of power to show that 'he is the master now' only for the master to go "so this" and shoot him. :D

EDIT: Edited post to shrink it down a bit.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

True, hopefully that's toned down a little bit in final version. At least they avoided making the two-separate bulge mistake, There's a good article I read somewhere (edit: http://madartlab.com...-and-lady-bits/) on this mentioning how having two bulges would deflect strikes straight toward the middle where a normal plate deflects strikes to the sides.

Good point! Bonus points for that...

Leather *could* be form-fitting (not protective), chain mail drape makes sense, but I can't help but think about form-fitting plate (with nipple bulge):

SMITH: So, higher or lower?

CADEGUND: Here, look...

SMITH: *feels it up* Oh, yeah, higher. By the way, this will take an extra hour or two to fine-tune so it fits perfectly, so stay put... *bangs metal with a delicate hammer*

:rolleyes:

But! Relatively speaking based on extremely low expectations set by other games, as someone else mentioned somewhere, then this is certainly better than basically everything else out there. (Except movies--some movies are doing better in that regard.) :thumbsup:

The female Dwarf ranger is still my favorite concept art at the moment; everything about it turns expectations around and convincingly.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Honestly, plate armor's never been a big priority of mine. I tend to play classes with either medium to low armor, mostly leather or cloth. It always seems like most people and games focus on designing the plate though.

My parties always have a mix of armour 'weights,' so I view it holistically; and I'll most likely play each class in PE anyway.

Sounds like with the addition of the hand cannon, though, there will be more variety.

I'm sure plate holds a special place in mediaeval fantasy stories because there's always some kind of knight...

The breast bulge in that armor seems to be for pure aesthetics rather than titillation. I don't agree with it, but since she's completely covered and everything and the armor is otherwise practical I don't think it's particularly sexualized.

We have absolutely no idea how spell casting works yet so there's not a lot we can do to speculate what sort of armor requirements mages would have. We don't know that spells have somatic components, for example. So how do we know they need their hands free?

True enough. Sorry, I do tend to ramble.

Hhmmm, I deifnitly like the complexity of his outfit. The breast plate does look very ornate, and that makes me think . . . you know what, you're a Mage, magic and all, would your plate just be 'plate' or would you incribe it with wards and such? The ornate etchings on the breast plate you posted made me think of that.

53953_1163293.jpg

And that is very pretty, very intricate.

Still I do wonder if there shouldn't also be reason for a Wizard to go a way other than heavy armor, if they so wish, just for choice. I can understand someone who wanted to play a magic using type character not wanting to use heavier armor, and being discouraged if it really is the best, or worse, the only, way to go.

Oh I don't doubt it, I just wonder what we'll see more of. I just think about the usual 'sword obsession' you see in RPGs to the point that plenty of other interesting weapons get ignored. I actually think the Rapier is an interesting weapon in general, I just wonder what people will use if given the freedom to use whatever they want.

The one hand free thing would be an interesting mechanic, and actually reminds me of DAoC as one of the spell casting classes, that, oddly, used piercing weapons in one hand, would keep one hand free to cast spells.

The breast bulge in that armor seems to be for pure aesthetics rather than titillation. I don't agree with it, but since she's completely covered and everything and the armor is otherwise practical I don't think it's particularly sexualized.

Eh, I'm torn. On one hand I'm actually fine with skimpy and more suggestive armors/clothing as long as the conservative alternative also exists, as well as the middleground styles in between . . . but . . . at the same time the breast bulge on the plate still bugs me. I kind of wish they'd left that out and given her a legitimate breast plate.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Honestly, plate armor's never been a big priority of mine. I tend to play classes with either medium to low armor, mostly leather or cloth. It always seems like most people and games focus on designing the plate though.

My parties always have a mix of armour 'weights,' so I view it holistically; and I'll most likely play each class in PE anyway.

Sounds like with the addition of the hand cannon, though, there will be more variety.

I'm sure plate holds a special place in mediaeval fantasy stories because there's always some kind of knight...

Plate holds a special place not only because it's associated with knights, but because it really was the BEST protection money could buy, period.

Now games usually have to nerf it to make other, lighter armors seem less sucky in comparison.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!