Any chance of pure turn-based combat?

I dunno but I've always felt pure turn based (like ToEE, or my personal favorite, Silent Storm) is just superior. Pausable real time seemed like a concession to publishers (though I could be wrong maybe others prefer it). Especially with Xcom coming back and showing that people still have interest in purely turn based combat, I have some small hope PE could follow that trend ;).

• Like 1

But by doing both, they really will make it Arcanum 2!

It's a pretty fundamental thing and I doubt it'll change. I don't mind, I enjoy good TB and good RTwP, and there's Wasteland 2 for the former.

I admit that's tempting. Van Buren was planned to have such a switch but I wonder they will do a stretch goal for that. Well, if only Sawyer is sure that they will be able to satisfy both crowds, maybe, but, personally, I'd rather have one solid system.

Did he say something to that effect? Link?

Please consider turn-based over rtwp. It would make for a much better RPG.

Some are less bothered than others, but I really don't know many RPG fans at all who genuinely enjoy rtwp combat. It's widely regarded as the biggest flaw of games like Baldur's Gate.

Edited by Piccolo

In an absolute vacuum, I'd absolutely be on the turn-based wagon. I the context of what is known about this game though, what I'd have to consider is turn-based player-character-only control versus RTwP full party control. Much as I love Jag and X-COM, I feel that full turn-based control of a large party would be somewhat overwhelming and overshadow the roleplaying aspects of the game (the bit I really care about). And well, I don't trust present levels of AI to not spray me in the back with an SMG/triple crossbow.

So yeah, for the moment I'm supportive of the current design, though as a disclaimer I will add that I've never been one to particularly enjoy to combat aspect in *any* RPG. I tend to leave it on easy or normal and just get through it to reach the next interesting decision point. I leave my tactical turn-based combat urges to, well, to tactical turn-based combat games.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

While TB is always the best option I don't want to see them try to blend the systems together. They are going RTwP and they need to go all in.

I agree. I believe that TB is the purest RPG experience and, to me, it is preferable. But if they are set on RTwP (and given that the pledges so far worked under that premise), let them implement it well. I don't want to enjoy Eternity in spite of its combat.

I'm very happy with the choice of RTwP. I think most people who ask for turn-based want real-time outside of combat, which IMO creates a suboptimal experience. I'd be super happy with a fully turn-based WORLD like in Ultima 6 though, where I can choose to control just the one player character, or everyone in the party.

I just wish we could all be happy, that is, If the game had options for bothTB and RTwP, like Arcanum and ToEE did.

Its not like Arcanum is remarkable for its combat. And ToEE was kinda frustrating - awesome rules, underwhelming encounter design.

The point wasn't that Arcanum had great combat, just that it had both an option for rt and tb. It's not relevant that arcanum had poor combat, neither is it that ps:t had it. I'm was simply pointing out that you can have more than one option in one game, and still make it great~

I just wish we could all be happy, that is, If the game had options for bothTB and RTwP, like Arcanum and ToEE did.

Its not like Arcanum is remarkable for its combat. And ToEE was kinda frustrating - awesome rules, underwhelming encounter design.

The point wasn't that Arcanum had great combat, just that it had both an option for rt and tb. It's not relevant that arcanum had poor combat, neither is it that ps:t had it. I'm was simply pointing out that you can have more than one option in one game, and still make it great~

The fact that a game can be great in spite of bad implementations of both RTwP and TB is not support for both RTwP and TB.

Hhahaahhaahhahaaha. No.

It won't sell.

Just who the hell are you, mate? A publisher incarnate?

They're using Kickstarter to fund the development. People use that service to raise funds for stuff that wouldn't ever get funded or sell like Call of Duty. What, should they rip off Dragon Age's "sex scenes" to make the game more marketable, too?

Obsidian, please - RTwP is a poor man's combat system. TURN BASED combat shined in Temple of Elemental Evil, I couldn't go back to Infinity Engine releases after playing ToEE - RTwP was so chaotic and boring. Why are you choosing an inherently inferior, broken by design solution?

Please consider creating a proper TB combat system!

Edited by Phinelete

Make (optable) TB a stretch goal, or part of one. It seems likely the $1.1 mil will be far surpassed so why not. There seems to be some demand for it.

I can live without TB, but I do highly prefer it over RtWP.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Implementing a toggle-able TB/RTwP system (as in Arcanum) would be a bad idea. It would stretch the resources thin (money, working hours) and ultimately create a mediocre experience that would not satisfy either camp.

While turn-based combat is my personal preference, I'd much rather have a well crafted RTwP system that was specifically built for this game and its ruleset, than a half-baked hybrid attempt.

Edited by aVENGER
  • Like 1

I prefer turn-based but they've already stated they're designing the ruleset with RTwP in mind, and a hybrid system always does more harm than good (see Arcanum and its half-baked combat) and is usually something that gets crammed in as a request from publishers that won't tolerate turn-based-only (well, now they just don't tolerate that type of RPGs period, eheh).

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game though, but so far that's really been my only complaint.