So what have I missed?

Arkan

I haven't been gaming that much, but recently got back into Morrowind (finally getting to the expansions, hah!). I wanted something to do after that, so I figured I'd find out what Obsidian was up to!

I see the did a Dungeon Siege game? Ummm...how is that? How did Alpha Protocol turn out? It seemed to be a pretty ambitious project for Obsidian.

Here's the crazy thing:

I. Haven't. Played. Fallout: New Vegas. Yet.

What is wrong with me!? That's what I planned to pick up first. What am I in for compared to FO3?

Off Topic:

Any oldies (posters) still around here?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Alpha Protocol is a cult hit, probably one of the most dynamic cause and effect games ever made. It didn't sell great, but quite a few of us loved it.

Dungeon Siege 3 was decent for a hack & slash game, I think it met expectations in terms of sales. It wasn't a blockbuster but it seems like it was a smaller project in terms of scale.

FO:NV is awesome. It is FO3 with better atmosphere and real writing.

Lots of old posters here. And don't mind it. I haven't played DS3 (demo excluded), F:NV (well, without a dl'ed version 0_0), NWN2 either, even if all of them are in my Steam Library.

AP's I did, and it's great, so you should definitely try it yourself, stupid bashers be damned.

As long as you aren't braindead (so you can read, and pick an option in a dialogue wheel) AP definitely will please you...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

As long as you aren't braindead (so you can read, and pick an option in a dialogue wheel) AP definitely will please you...

This is more or less the reason why a lot of people find Obsidian fans incredibly obnoxious. Apparently disliking one of their titles without being braindead/untermensch is impossible? Puh-lease.

• Like 1

This is more or less the reason why a lot of people find Obsidian fans incredibly obnoxious. Apparently disliking one of their titles without being braindead/untermensch is impossible? Puh-lease.

Yup, the problem is on both sides though. Already have heard multiple times that Alpha Protocol is completly unsalvagable trash and you're a delluded fanboy to think otherwise.

Anyway, DSIII: Decent Story, fun. But, (one of) Obsidian's lowest budgeted games and it shows. There's not too much in reagards to choice and there's nothing exceptional. Stil, enjoy it very much though.

Edited by C2B

No, I was more talking about a lot of people having issues with things the game plain tells you to do... like you know, aiming. Or gathering intel. Or all those other major "issues" which aren't issues at all.

Yup, the problem is on both sides though. Already have heard multiple times that Alpha Protocol is completly unsalvagable trash and you're a delluded fanboy to think otherwise.

Yup, heard it too. Funny enough from people not even playing the game.

Just look up the AP boards. There's this one thread of a guy stating OE needs to fix about 12 things to make the game good. And afterwards mentions he hasn't even played the game.

Stuff like that? Way too common. Do I understand the hate? Not really...

Now if people actually have good arguments I wouldn't mind them. But so far I know everybody who played the game loved it, it's just that don't which talk smack for some reason. Don't ask me to understand that...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Suffice to say that you should make up your own mind about AP. It's dirt cheap now, so pick it up. If it works for you, then it's a wonderful game - it's been the most replayable RPG for me for a long time.

New Vegas is pretty much guaranteed to tickle your fancy, so definitely go for that.

• Like 1

Hey Arkan. Been awhile.

Alpha Protocol was a janky, unbalanced game, but the dialogue system and the absolutely insane number of things that the game keeps track of and responds to as you play more than made up for that in my mind. The stealth and pistol skills are absolutely broken and therefore should be taken as your specialties. It will really minimize frustrations down the line. It's been as low as $2 on steam sale before.

Dungeon Siege 3 is the closest Obsidian has come to releasing a bug free game so far. It was rock solid stable for me and performed pretty well. It's a pretty basic ARPG and the loot is lacklustre, but it was fun while it lasted. Should be able to find it fairly cheap as well. It uses Steamworks if that matters to you.

You should feel bad for not having playing FO:NV yet.

Hi Arkan long time no see.

Hey Arkan. Been awhile.

Sup, playaz!

You should feel bad for not having playing FO:NV yet.

I do. ;(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

...good ta see ya, lad; not many o' us ol' Islanders left hangin' on...dunna feel too bad 'bout not gettin' round ta the newest & shiniest; I ain't even got 'round ta me yearly Torment runthrough, let alone anythin' new on the horizon...this settlin' down shyte ain't all she's cracked up ta be :bat: ...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

"alpha Protocol is a cult hit, probably one of the most dynamic cause and effect games ever made. It didn't sell great, but quite a few of us loved it. "

Not a cult hit. People misuse that term so much. It wa sa bomb, and it sucked.

"Dungeon Siege 3 was decent for a hack & slash game, I think it met expectations in terms of sales. It wasn't a blockbuster but it seems like it was a smaller project in terms of scale."

It didn't meet expecations. It failed. I never bothered to play it thoguh 'cause the demo showed it was badder than bad.

"FO:NV is awesome. It is FO3 with better atmosphere and real writing. "

Don't comapre this to FO3. FO3 sucked. FO:NV is awesome, and simply a fantastic game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Arkan, you remember Volourn. He's still the same, but not to worry, we're all confident he'll reach a breakthrough soon. ;)

• Like 1

Suffice to say that you should make up your own mind about AP. It's dirt cheap now, so pick it up. If it works for you, then it's a wonderful game - it's been the most replayable RPG for me for a long time.

New Vegas is pretty much guaranteed to tickle your fancy, so definitely go for that.

I want to play AP, I have played NWN2 and F:NV and loved them both

You mentioned its dirt cheap. Where can I buy it, on Steam?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"alpha Protocol is a cult hit, probably one of the most dynamic cause and effect games ever made. It didn't sell great, but quite a few of us loved it. "

A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base.

It's a ridiculous and useless term because anything that has a handful of fans applies, but it's used correctly. Even if misused in the way you intend, it would still be accurate - this forum alone displays enormous cultlike dedication to the game and it has displayed incredible longevity for a game - more successful games have been wiped off the map but this is still being played regularely by many people.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized who I'm talking to. Bye, this thread. Sorry for contributing to your eventual Volourn Derailment.

Edited by TrueNeutral

It's $20 on steam right now, but it's been as low as $2 in steam sales.

It's $20 on steam right now, but it's been as low as $2 in steam sales.

Excellent, thanks. I'll buy it tonight :)

Update : The purchase is done, once I install it I'll go the AP forums to say hi.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, will be said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fan base.

It's a ridiculous and useless term because anything that has a handful of fans applies, but it's used correctly. Even if misused in the way you intend, it would still be accurate - this forum alone displays enormous cultlike dedication to the game and it has displayed incredible longevity for a game - more successful games have been wiped off the map but this is still being played regularely by many people.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized who I'm talking to. Bye, this thread. Sorry for contributing to your eventual Volourn Derailment.

You just have to read a couple of the love letter threads about Steven Heck and SIE in Alpha Protocol to know it is totally a cult classic. The game definitely has a following. Dungeon Siege 3 managed about the same sales, I believe, but it didn't really create the same type of fanbase.

But yeah, it's Volo. Welcome back Volo, we missed you.

Dungeon Siege III actually sold a lot more than Alpha Protocol last time I heard. Alpha Protocol fans tend to be very vocal, that's all, but the game didn't do well at sales (it needed some extreme price cuts to reach a slightly larger segment of the public). Dungeon Siege III, on the other hand, never seemed to inspire anyone but sold decently for a low-budget title. Probably not Slam Dunk enough for Square though, especially considering that another Dungeon Siege now would have the handicap of the lukewarm reception of DSIII, especially if they'd like to pursue that direction again.

...wishful thinkin'... :devil:

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Arkan, you remember Volourn. He's still the same, but not to worry, we're all confident he'll reach a breakthrough soon. ;)

We've been hoping for over a decade, aye? What's a bit more time gonna hurt?

...wishful thinkin'... :devil:

Ah, the good ol' Sarfy and Volo back-and-forth.