What are you playing now?

Deus Ex: HR is one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

Only if you play it in DX9...

I'm playing it in DX11. Between the yellowness, the ghastly character models and the bland locations, I see nothing aesthetically redeeming about it. Horrible art direction.

I'm having a lot of fun, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Didn't much care for Desu Ex, but it deserves mention that Elias Toufexis (Jensen) is the hottest male voice actor in the business atm, beating even Mark Meer.

Jensen is also a much better character than that block of wood, Geralt of Rivia.

Edited by Drudanae
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Deus Ex: HR is one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

Only if you play it in DX9...

I'm playing it in DX11. Between the yellowness, the ghastly character models and the bland locations, I see nothing aesthetically redeeming about it. Horrible art direction.

I'm having a lot of fun, though.

I liked the art direction.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Didn't much care for Desu Ex, but it deserves mention that Elias Toufexis (Jensen) is the hottest male voice actor in the business atm, beating even Mark Meer.

Jensen is also a much better character than that block of wood, Geralt of Rivia.

Jensen's voice strikes me like the voice actor was trying to do a Clint Eastwood impression and kind of nailing it.

Heja Sverige!!

I thought Deus Ex was one of the few games with a more than decent art direction last year. Maybe its originality is a little overplayed (mostly because games suck with recognizable visuals, unless they're going for "weirder than weird"), but it feels like a convincing vision of the future to me. Execution in game was so-so, though, character models are really bad, animations aren't that good, textures blurry, etc.

I thought, like it's gameplay, HR's art direction veered wildly from segment to segment - the whole game is like a multiple-personality disorder turned into code. Brooding man in black and femme fatales in Elizabethan collars. Generic and sterile office environments and grey abandoned warehouses against a vast floating cityscape. Heavily armoured paramilitary forces and naked muscle-man. Intercontinental hover-copter (!) as your primary means of transport amidst conventional 20th century transport options everywhere else.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Apart from the boss fights.. I enjoyed the majority of DEHR.

The art direction was coherent and solid throughout, and the storyline pretty much held together, which is rare enough in most games today.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It should be noted I'm playing Deux Ex concurrently with Witcher 2 which has, to my mind some mightily impressive art direction. The character models in particular stand out as awesome.

Heja Sverige!!

Dragon's Dogma

If you're playing and in need of a Strider pawn, look for Manion (360). I'm trying to keep his skills and equipment up to date, lots of people really don't do that. I had one fighter pawn that I liked at level 4, but when I went back for higher pawns, it still had all of the same skills at level 9. I figure that most people are going to be doing warriors (for tanks) and mages (for support) as their pawns, so he might not have as much competition.

Beyond that, I am enjoying it but don't think I've really put the time in to judge it. I've only done one short dungeon as it is. It's nice that it has a variety of non-combat quests. But also lots of kill # of X quests, sadly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i was reading a negative review of dragons dogma where literally every negative they said about it was something i thought "why is that a negative, that sounds like something i would want in an rpg"

"limited fast travel, non scaling world, takes a long time before you feel powerful, main story that you cannot barrel through in just a few hours"

i still havent heard an answer for how combat works without the ability to lock on - in dark souls, locking on to an enemy was vitally important for certain tactics

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Re-playing Alpha Protocol, I'm reminded of what a gem the game actually is. And to be honest, the combat isn't anywhere as bad as some folks make it out to be.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

There's a soft lock. For melee targets, if you're looking at someone and they're close, it'll hit. Some swings are wide enough to hit multiple enemies. You won't be circlestrafing enemies, however.

For ranged, it targets whatever is near you and vaguely in the middle of your screen. Though, at least with magic, you can switch to an aimed targetting.

There's a soft lock. For melee targets, if you're looking at someone and they're close, it'll hit. Some swings are wide enough to hit multiple enemies. You won't be circlestrafing enemies, however.

For ranged, it targets whatever is near you and vaguely in the middle of your screen. Though, at least with magic, you can switch to an aimed targetting.

ok so that sounds workable at least, though I will miss circle strafing for sure - using a spear and shield in dark souls while carefully stepping around an enemy jabbing for weak points is currently the epitome of combat in a console action/rpg

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Opted to dig out the original Diablo, due to the tremulousness of me internet connection not likely being conducive to the third iteration. By crikey sirs, this is one damnedly atmospheric beastie. Down in the catacombs, and I swear i'm occassionally hearing a sprog crying, rather disturbing. Quite a good looking game as well, i'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Enjoying Dragon's Dogma still.

Had a moment where I was trying out crafting. Created a scroll for a spell. Thought "hey, do I learn this when I use it or what?"

Next thing I know, the innkeeper is on fire and fleeing the area. Lost about an hour reloading that save. And wasn't too bothered by it.

Deus Ex: HR

Likes: environment and artistic design, social mechanism when enhancing skill, sneaking XP awarded, story is ok

Dislikes: voice acting and dialogue, hacking(far too much of it and can take too long especially when a semi bug occurs which makes you lose a second of your time when the software detects you making you have to restart the hack attempt), weak gunplay, game plays very slow and will probably be a one playthrough and done type of game

Deus Ex: HR

Likes: environment and artistic design, social mechanism when enhancing skill, sneaking XP awarded, story is ok

Dislikes: voice acting and dialogue, hacking(far too much of it and can take too long especially when a semi bug occurs which makes you lose a second of your time when the software detects you making you have to restart the hack attempt), weak gunplay, game plays very slow and will probably be a one playthrough and done type of game

OTOH, it's the only game on the PS3 (and 1 out of 3 in general) that I have Platinum/100 % on. So I guess it was right up my alley.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Runefactory Oceans

White Knight Chronicles 1&2 (played 1 before but 2 came with a remastered version for free it's a huge improvement)

Atelier Meruru

Dragons Dogma

Sorcery (something I bought for the kids but was rather good).

Edited by BobSmith101

The first entry when I googled 'Desu Ex' made me laugh.

Sorry, but due to the "Personalized Websearch" in google, most of the people are getting different search results... So unless you want to link it here, most of the people would be wondering about what you find interesting in that link they clicked right now :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The first entry when I googled 'Desu Ex' made me laugh.

Sorry, but due to the "Personalized Websearch" in google, most of the people are getting different search results... So unless you want to link it here, most of the people would be wondering about what you find interesting in that link they clicked right now :p

desu_ex_by_doyora-d4ao3ix.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I decided to go out and get A Game of Thrones. It's solid so far, though there's not much character interaction early on. Haven't seen any effects of the choices I've made so far, so I don't know whether it has an effect or not.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)