What are you playing now?

Gorth

Played the ME(h)3 demo, if you can call it play. I felt like a puppet strung up by Bioware's rigid storytelling. It took me awhile to realize how to move on from the first part to the second.. But as a I noticed how the Reaper cannibals kept respawning.. It could have taken me hours to complete it, but after that it was hardly a minute.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I just played the ME3 demo as well, same sort of impression. On visuals FFXIII-2 blows it out of the water. Even though FFXIII-2 is basically the same combat engine as FFXIII it still feels more distinct and different than ME3 and ME2.

The faults go beyond just "glitchy demo" so I doubt anything is going to be addressed in the 2-3 weeks till release.

And having played R3 , some little unknown kid getting blown up really not going to work on me.

Tried the Binary Domain demo.

Those... bleepity bleeps of bleeps! They have a system for dialogue where you hold R2 to get access to up to 4 face button commands or responses. This allows you to engage in a conversation without losing control and going into cutscenes.

I was going to build a prototype of that. :(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been playing one of the Ethiopoan kingdoms, haven't yet been stomped by Egypt but I have little doubt it will happen. I'm still very much in "why did they change this, how do you do this" mode at the moment though. Harold Godwinson is still king of England after William the Asterisks copped an arrow in the eye in a nice reversal of history, so I've not played long in game time. I'll probably try an Irish minor next, as they were always good fun in the original CK if you didn't get smacked early.

After having tested the game, I chose to change. Replaying now with the Komnenos dynasty. Of course, the objective is to become emperor of the byzantian empire. But it's hard at the moment. I think they made the byzantian empire to cohesive for the period. So, after having married a daughter of the emperor (to get a cb), I took my independency (hardest war I fought at the moment) and began to grab parts of my future Jerusalem kingdom. It seems easiest than grabing the emperor title the way I thought doing.

I may next time try ploting, it seems this mechanism can help weakening your liege.

I was given Chronicles of Riddick over Christmas, realised it was both Escape from Butcher Bay and Dark Athena.

Finally got around to installing it and had a short start up of it. Butcher Bay is showing some of its age visually, but it seems interesting enough. Plus its kind of amusing to hear all the voices and try to name the actor.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tried the Binary Domain demo.

Those... bleepity bleeps of bleeps! They have a system for dialogue where you hold R2 to get access to up to 4 face button commands or responses. This allows you to engage in a conversation without losing control and going into cutscenes.

I was going to build a prototype of that. :(

It's even better if you use a mic. :)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I've been playing one of the Ethiopoan kingdoms, haven't yet been stomped by Egypt but I have little doubt it will happen. I'm still very much in "why did they change this, how do you do this" mode at the moment though. Harold Godwinson is still king of England after William the Asterisks copped an arrow in the eye in a nice reversal of history, so I've not played long in game time. I'll probably try an Irish minor next, as they were always good fun in the original CK if you didn't get smacked early.

After having tested the game, I chose to change. Replaying now with the Komnenos dynasty. Of course, the objective is to become emperor of the byzantian empire. But it's hard at the moment. I think they made the byzantian empire to cohesive for the period. So, after having married a daughter of the emperor (to get a cb), I took my independency (hardest war I fought at the moment) and began to grab parts of my future Jerusalem kingdom. It seems easiest than grabing the emperor title the way I thought doing.

I may next time try ploting, it seems this mechanism can help weakening your liege.

I played a hurried, rough 100 years as a fringe Doukas and the empire always seemed to be on the edge of destruction. I counted more than a dozen civil wars where around half of the duchies had risen up against the Emperor - though, in many cases, the latter prevailed eventually. I think one King had a reign of 30 years where he did nothing but stomp on rebels.

I wonder if technology-wise the Seljuks and other Arabs are too weak, since they were also helped by many successful Crusades that conquered pretty much the entire coastline. But then, for the Byzantine Empire the real deathblow was neither Seljuk military power nor even the frequent civil wars, but the deterioration of the land system and tax infrastructure in Asia Minor that gradually destroyed the manpower and money base. I think in general Crown Authority needs to be reworked a bit, so that each step in the ladder is a lot more significant and it's a lot harder to change them at will.

I'm dividing my time between Reckoning and Skyrim. Have about 38 hours into Skyrim so far and about 13 into KOA and it's getting harder to choose which one to spend my limited time on. Both have their strengths and weaknesses for sure, but we'll see what happens I guess.

I think in general Crown Authority needs to be reworked a bit, so that each step in the ladder is a lot more significant and it's a lot harder to change them at will.

There are a couple of odd things. Crown Authority definitely, I've had zero problem increasing it and it really ought to be hard work to get people to agree to it given they're effectively voting themselves out of power. France always seems to invade Spain. Disappearing dlc because Paradox don't want their game getting pulled for having dlc available in places other than steam. Also, my King married the daughter of the- obviously highly progressive, heretic and black african tolerant- HRE's Kaiser and their son inherited some land in Germany. I guess it's not so extraordinarily odd that the emperor packs off his extremely eligible daughter to Deila Gabran since at least I was a king, but I only tried for her (with a 'haha, you're dreaming mate') because there wasn't a single Orthodox woman of any stripe or age available to marry, for some reason. Still, my father in law being King of Germany is great for scaring the locals.

Trying to fight the urge to replay Mass Effect 2. I'm tempted to do it just for perspective. Been spending too much time focusing on what I don't like. When I really enjoyed the game.

Man, Portal 2 has rather a lot of loading screens. And, considering that the game is being run off an SSD on a machine with a good deal more RAM than it needs, they take kind of a long time.

I'm finding the game entertaining, but best in smallish doses. After an hour or two, I start to wish for something with a bit more depth than "solve puzzle in the one way possible, take 1 step forward, admire clever design, listen to humorous banter, repeat." That worked with the first game because the concepts were all new and because the game was short. And while they're nailing the atmosphere and writing and such, the new elements in the puzzles aren't quite enough to stop them from feeling a little monotonous.

Is there any way to see what choices are in your ME2 save? I guess I can look for a save editor.

Man, Portal 2 has rather a lot of loading screens. And, considering that the game is being run off an SSD on a machine with a good deal more RAM than it needs, they take kind of a long time.

That's just like ME2. It sucks to know, that the reason my time is being wasted is because the need to show some pointless loading screen animation has top priority. There is only like one ping of disk activity during those ten seconds it takes to load a game or an area transistion. Long loading times for the sake of showing off, that sucks.

Is there any way to see what choices are in your ME2 save? I guess I can look for a save editor.

Gibbed's Save Game Editor.

Doesn't have any plot flags from ME2. Looks like he quit pretty early. I can't find anything to say if the save did a romance or what happened to Collector Base.

i tried replaying dragon age 1. it's... a lot worse than i remembered :(

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Gibbed's Save Game Editor.

Doesn't have any plot flags from ME2. Looks like he quit pretty early. I can't find anything to say if the save did a romance or what happened to Collector Base.

There's an updated version as well I believe, one of the other bioware community members added some functionality. Look for "modified gibbed" or some such. I'm not sure exactly how it got expanded though, or whether it just cleans up what was already there.

Edit: http://social.bioware.com/project/4373/

[Last updated for r1b7]

Epic Legion gave me his fixes for ME2 plot table---now included on plot tab. It should fix Conrad Verner bugs et. al. Thanks Epic!!

I'm adding modifications to XanderChaos' mod to Gibbed's save editor for the Xbox360. This version should support both pc and xbox saves (save/read either format) [Warning: I have tested this, but it may not be well tested

I noticed there is a lot of hex editing of variables which are not supported in the original Gibbed save editor so I've added accessibility to them in the editor.

A new version is is uploaded which has *all* of NuTitan's variables as well as other items on a player->skills/upgrades tab. See the README for more info.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I made it to Act 2 in Diablo 2 for the first time. Woo.

I still don't know why this game was so popular as it was. I have seen so many more entertaining dungeon crawlers than this. Oh well, the main story movies are really well made, even today.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I find Diablo to be a bit of a paradox. It's very solid, polished, pleasing, entertaining and the controls work really well, but it's just.. forgettable, somehow. Maybe it's the lack of ego-stroking, wits and humor. There is something, not alienating, but neither endearing about it. Just getting better and better equipment gets old pretty fast, but it's fun for awhile and it works well in LAN parties or with a group of friends.. Easy to get in and easy to get out.. Just like my signature in a way. I never thought of it like that really, ugh, I need to change it.. one day.

There's an updated version as well I believe, one of the other bioware community members added some functionality. Look for "modified gibbed" or some such. I'm not sure exactly how it got expanded though, or whether it just cleans up what was already there.

Edit: http://social.biowar...m/project/4373/

Checked that out. You can change who lived or died in your team in ME2, but not much else. Hopefully someone updates it to cover all quests and stuff.

I still don't know why this game was so popular as it was. I have seen so many more entertaining dungeon crawlers than this. Oh well, the main story movies are really well made, even today.

I think it's because it's so random and because it's about loot rather than about quests it's, very replayable with all those classes and builds. If you compared it to something like DS3, in DS3 you will always be on the same maps fighting the same things so it's predictable. In Diablo one game you could get one set of monsters in another you could get something completely different.

All those variables change how the game plays as long as you are playing it to experience builds rather than for the story or something like that.

I'd have to say though even as a big fan of Diablo and games like it. After playing War in the North I think the goalposts have moved as far as dungeon crawling adventures go. The otherhead view does not really do it anymore and to a lesser extent the one button killing too.

i tried replaying dragon age 1. it's... a lot worse than i remembered

I think it suffered from being in development for too long.

How many of those more entertaining dungeon crawlers were made previous to Diablo 2?

If I had to cast my mind back to those heady days of 2001, I'd say that several of the things I liked about Diablo 2 were visual. The horror aesthetic and then the desert and jungle levels looked novel to me. I also liked the random levels, monsters, and loot. I could play with my friends via hooking up our computers, which was something I'd only done in FPS previously

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.