Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

Tigranes

I can't believe you let us all die, you charlatan! You bloody yorkshire terrier! You ... you...

It's a special death spell, you arse! Even I know that! You have to cast thingy and it parboilds the whatsit and we're all fine. Potion of heroism.

Gone. Gone. And never called you a mother****er.

What do you mean you can't believe he let you all die? We already had 5 deaths before you showed up. I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner. :p

Edited by Deraldin

*is having fun reading but wishing that the Red Comet could make an appearance magically even if he doesn't know anything about the game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Next update has been mostly ready, but I'm currently dealing with some personal issues. It will come soon, and set us up for the very final battle with Sarevok. The attention is appreciated.

16. Iiiiiiin theee eeeeeeeeeeeeeend

1.jpg

Gorth: We're going after Sarevok now, aren't we?

Tale: We can delay no longer. The enemy awaits. It's time to hit him where it hurts. It's time to bring it on. It's showtime. FOR FREEDOM-

Sorophyx: What happened to him?

Gorth: Too much Mass Effect 3.

Nepenthe: Ooh, that's a wonderful game, that is! A tale of heroes like our one should aspire to!

Gorth: You just want more romances.

Pidesco: Grrrrrrr.

Nepenthe: It's all about emotional storytelling, man.

2.jpg

The Ducal Palace is closely guarded, and only those with formal invitations may enter. We, of course, acquired them from the assassins, Slythe and Krystin. Apparently the masters of ceremony in these parts never thought to write the invitees' names down on the invitations to prevent such accidents.

The remaining Dukes that Sarevok has not had killed or incapacitated, Belt and Liia Jannath, start the whole thing off.

3.jpg

The nobles are rather upset that Duke Entar got done in.

4.jpg

Sarevok's acceptance speech.

Sorophyx: Oh, dude, he's one of those people. You give him a podium and five minutes and he goes on for forty-five.

Gorth: But he's very clear and informative about his new policies and potential conflicts of interest. Aren't you interested in those things?

Sorophyx: Not really. I can't take him seriously with the spiky armour deal.

Gorth: You should judge them on their policies, not their style!

Sorophyx: How can I do that when I haven't been listening?

5.jpg

The procession is interrupted as all the noblemen turn into dopplegangers, obviously planted by Sarevok. Obviously the plan was to kill the remainder of the Dukes and seize control of the city, but I'm not sure why Sarevok would think that is not suspicious. I mean, look, he's not even doing anything. At least wade in and get a black eye, or something.

6.jpg

We save the Dukes and present Sarevok's diary as evidence of his crimes.

Pidesco: Rawr.

7.jpg

Sarevok decides that's too much trouble and attacks. Clearly, someone at Bioware decided a non-violent ending involving intelligent dialogue about Sarevok's guilt should not be an option. And a good thing too, who wants to solve problems with words?

8.jpg

Sarevok is teleported away before we can really do anything, though, and we must chase him to wherever he's fled. Belt offers to teleport us to the location...

9.jpg

Belt, you suck.

10.jpg

The maze is mostly empty, except a few high-level enemies and traps. (On the right, you see the corpse of a helmed horror we dispatched earlier.) Obviously, all we need to do is scout ahead with Sorophyx and proceed carefully. Except, you can't search for traps and hide in shadows at the same time....

11.jpg

Sorophyx: Oh, dude, that was two lightning bolts in a row. That really hurts.

Well just drink a potion, and get out of there before the lightning bolt comes back. You'll be fine.

12.jpg

Sorophyx: Son of a-

13.jpg

Dayum.

Tale: He's dead. There's nothing we can do. EXCEPT KICK SOME ALIEN ASS!

Gorth: Seriously, snap out of it.

14.jpg

That was sorophyx' third death, and so we cannot resurrect him according to house rules. Sorophyx was, of course, the only member besides Tale to last the entire campaign, and as the only thief, invaluable in many situations. Because we are so close to the endgame and a level 1 character will be useless, we decide to push on with five.

15.jpg

At the end of the maze is the Undercity; the story goes that Baldur's Gate is built on top of an older city, one that succumbed to some sort of catastrophe. It is here that a temple of Bhaal remains intact, and here Sarevok will make his last stand.

16.jpg

But before that, a hostile adventuring party awaits us, dispatched by the Iron Throne (the Iron Throne in Baldur's Gate that Sarevok commandeered is just a regional branch) to get rid of Sarevok, us, or both. They are incredibly dangerous, as their leader can fire detonation arrows at a rate of around 2 attacks per turn...

17.jpg

So we pre-empt them with two wands of fireball and a detonation arrow of our own. Sorry, I missed it with the crappy pause, but it takes out their cleric and does hefty damage on the rest.

18.jpg

We run back away from the fireball-spam.

19.jpg

Crap, Tale! Drink potion!

Tale: 'Tis only a flesh wound.

20.jpg

Tale: I LIVE!

Baldur's Gate and instantly healing potions: the real next-gen RPG.

• Like 1

21.jpg

Outside the temple, we meet Tamoko again. She has a miniscule role in the game itself, but does a pretty good job of showing who she is, why she wants to save Sarevok, and why she must now fight us. Pity the Forgotten Realms lore on Kara'Tur, as far as I know it, is pretty much "OMIGOD SAMURAIS SO KOOL".

22.jpg

Tale decides it would be real useful to explore this area.

23.jpg

Alright, this is it. The big bad. The head honcho. We'll either win, or die, or Tale will die in the first two seconds and we'll reload. This is it.

24.jpg

We spare no expense with potions of heroism and strength, and other buffs. Pidesco is only level 2/2, but has inherited the ring of invisibility and some high-calibre arrows from Sorophyx.

25.jpg

Here are the rules. We don't want to die here, but we don't want to cheese it out, either. It's possible to just abuse the fog of war and spam Wand of Monster Summoning so that Sarevok never lands a hit on you. Instead, we will begin combat, as you can see, by throwing the entire party into the enemy's line of sight, and also limiting ourselves to only 5 uses of the wand. (The wand of paralysis won't work on Sarevok, anyway, AFAIK.) Charge #1 sets us up.

26.jpg

Aaaaand all hell breaks lose. Sarevok has three lieutenants: Tazok (currently being flamestrike'd), a dumb brute, and Angelo / Semaj, pre-buffed mages that can cast 5th level spells and begin invisible. In addition, the central emblem is full of traps - we set off a web trap there already. Everyone starts on Tazok with the msot powerful projectiles possible, while Tale dispels invisibility.

27.jpg

Semaj tries to get away, but soon dies (see combat log), while two more charges of the Wand keeps Sarevok and Tazok at bay. Nepenthe's gotten himself webbed, but nobody's targeting him for now. Sarevok has a very fast movement speed, so we need to make sure he's kept busy for as long as possible.

28.jpg

Tazok too falls, but Angelo, the other mage, enters the scene. A fourth charge of the wand, but Sarevok's pretty much one-shotting these hobbos. (Meanwhile, Pidesco levels up. He is now able to memorize fearsome second level spells like... Mirror Image.)

29.jpg

Time's running out; we've used all five charges of the wand, and Angelo still has protective spells. Tale takes a big risk by casting a wild magic spell, and manages to successfully animate some undead.

30.jpg

This is what we've been looking for. We've saved up ten arrows of dispelling thus far; a successful hit debuffs the target completely.

31.jpg

Without the buffs, Angelo is toast in approximately two seconds.

32.jpg

And now it's everyone on Sarevok. We have no more summons available, but the skeletons, as technically a fifth level spell, prove a little more durable. We cast Greater Malison on Sarevok, but he's still invulnerable to most spells, so now it's all about magic weapons.

33.jpg

Nepenthe is on the brink...

34.jpg

But even as the summons fall, Gorth fires a well-aimed crossbow bolt into Sarevok's face, and he falls to the ground. Pidesco gains half a level from the great bounty of XP that follows.

TrueNeutral: Wait, that's it? We've won? Nobody died?

Nepenthe: I almost died.

Gorth: You don't understand, do you? It's not over.

TrueNeutral: What do you mean? We just killed him!

Gorth: Here's the thing about adventures, my poor, bugged shapeshifter. It's never over. There's always.... a sequel.

35.jpg

Now, for some stats, because that's what all red-blooded Americans like. They're not as comprehensive as they dont' include the dead members, but we see that Tale has eventually accrued a decent number of kills, having largely lived as a pacifist for the first half of the game.

• Like 1

36.jpg

Gorth has done pretty well for coming in so late.

37.jpg

We estimate that 11 of those 12 kills were via wand of the heavens, meaning he would have been just as effective at Level 1.

38.jpg

Poor Sorophyx.

39.jpg

I think the two kills are actually Tazok and Semaj, which is pretty amazing. Clearly, it's not about the levels, it's about the loot.

40.jpg

Nepenthe has done alright for himself, and ends the game as the only tank in the party after the fall of Oner and Walsingham.

Well, that's it. 16 updates from January 1 to March 9, and the Obsidianites have semi-ironmanned Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast. The survivors will pick up BG2 at some point in the future, though Risen 2 has booked up a fair portion of my life next month. Thanks for watching, and go like us on facebook.

Baldur__s_Gate_Dock_by_Zeltor.png

• Like 1

Instead, we will begin combat, as you can see, by throwing the entire party into the enemy's line of sight, and also limiting ourselves to only 5 uses of the wand. (The wand of paralysis won't work on Sarevok, anyway, AFAIK.) Charge #1 sets us up.

There are days where I have you under suspicion of being Lawful Good... ;)

Poor Sorophyx, 37% of all kills and he bites the bullet just before getting to backstab Sarevok :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Though from a while back....

Greylord still ruled!

:disguise:

Soooo, did everyone in the original party basically die along the way? Can't recall if Nepenthe was with us all at the beginning or not? I suppose I could go back and check.

you let me die on purpose, I can feel it! D:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I actually kicked all sorts of ass considering I entered the game 5 minutes ago.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just read this entire thread when I should have been studying. Awesome job.

Have you ever done an Ironman using full SCS? I love SCS but just thinking of doing an Ironman makes me weep.

Put me down for a armorless kensai in BG2. We'll see how long I last. (probably not long)

Edited by Azure79

Calax should come in for Sorophyx, and then Azure next before we start with Generation 2.

To be honest in this playthrough, the second half of the game was pretty easy for the most part. In fact, we could probably have survived with zero deaths if I played slowly and obsessively. Walsingham is the only casualty that came from a major 'boss' battle; otherwise, we smashed through Loup Garou, the demonknight, etc. all pretty well.

But full SCS is a different story- I think ironman is pretty impossible because the pre-buffed mages and enemy potion use alone make them far too powerful. You also end up using a fair amount of cheese like LOS/aggro, wand spamming, etc., which is why I didn't install it all for this LP. Generally due to low-level parties, one of the biggest causes of death in BG1 is disabling spells (Chaos, Emotion, Confusion, Hold Person, etc), and if enemy mages come into battle with Minor Globes of Invulnerability and Mirror Image, they'll always have a chance to get those spells off.

Currently working out how to handle BG2, as I'll probably be without my desktop in my continent-hopping May-August. Hope I can spare some time to get the installation done and make a start, but will also be in Canada next week.

• 9 months later...

Bumping old thread just to get into party for BG2 walkthrough, hope we will seen it soon!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"