RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Diablo III might come to consoles, apparently.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

half of the diablo games have already been released on console.

the only diablo game not released on console was the second one.

diablo 1 was released on the playstation.

hmmmm, trying to think of more ways to say the same thing... :(

i'll get diablo 3 on pc, and then again on console IF the console version lets you do 2-4 player local coop. if it requires you to use system link or go online to play with people who are sitting next to you on the couch then i will have zero need for a console version

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm less upset about the ammo than the multiple bases. I loved having a research base, a military base, and a manufacturing base. Still, everything else sounds sublime, so I'm planning on it as a day one purchase.

Not having to manufacture individual clips will also be nice, that was a pain in the original.

It was part of your resource management. What do I do today?... ammo or body armour? Maybe a shiny new cannon for my latest troop transport. X-Com 3 did the multiple base thing quite nicely, as different construction sites had different "layouts", so you could rarely build 2 identical bases.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't see the big deal about Diablo 3 on consoles. Unlike RTS's, an action-RPG works just fine with a controller. Diablo 3 isn't exactly a complex game, it's about hacking and slashing and getting neat loot.

But it's done by point and click.

Controls tend to be kinda important for the design of action games.

For instance how do you single out a boss in the middle of trash mobs when all you have is a gamepad?

I don't see the big deal about Diablo 3 on consoles. Unlike RTS's, an action-RPG works just fine with a controller. Diablo 3 isn't exactly a complex game, it's about hacking and slashing and getting neat loot.

But it's done by point and click.

Controls tend to be kinda important for the design of action games.

For instance how do you single out a boss in the middle of trash mobs when all you have is a gamepad?

go play diablo 1 on console, then come back to me.

(forget it, here is the answer: it's not that hard. you play about 75% as well as you do when you have a mouse and keyboard)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

there's a 2-player co-op if I'm not mistaken

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah diablo 1 DID have multiplayer on playstation and it WAS awesome.

100% of the game is present, it just doesnt control with the same level of 100% accuracy, its still perfectly playable though, i played diablo on both and had no problems

(forget it, here is the answer: it's not that hard. you play about 75% as well as you do when you have a mouse and keyboard)

And you think that 75% of a game will sell fine?

Can't say I agree.

Quite so. Imagine if Blizzard had cut Starcraft II into three parts and made people pay full price for each of them. That would have never sold.

I'm sure that such an unknown and unanticipated game like Diablo III could never sell well on consoles.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Imagine if Blizzard had cut Starcraft II into three parts and made people pay full price for each of them. That would have never sold.

Not sure how seriously you meant this but Stracraft II did fail to meet sales expectations.

Not sure how seriously you meant this but Stracraft II did fail to meet sales expectations.

That claim is false.

No it's not.

If it was a failure, they wouldn't press on with 2 expansion packs.

Of course they would.

In fact they would seek ways to make even more of them.

Mind you - right now they don't need to.

But then they had no idea how much money licensing tournaments would bring.

About the sales figure - keep in mind half of it is Korea.

Anything Starcraft could sell at least a million there.

Compared to other high profile exclusives Starcraft 2 sold below expectations.

Blizzard is simply smart about their games and looks for profit outside direct sales - hence trading wow mounts or taking a cut from Diablo 3 auction house.

That claim is false.

No it's not.

Sounds like they expected every korean to buy 3 copies each or something.

CDR stops it's madness

TERA beta signup, if anyone actually cares about that game.

Edited by Oner

Well that's good news that CD Projekt has seen the light.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra