What you did today

Tale

I avoid black friday like the plague for the very reason Nep cites. You might score some awsome deals, but the fact is there will be other sales before Christmas where I don't risk getting pepper sprayed by some crazy bimbo. Plus, a lot of the crazy sale merchandise is limited, so if you don't get to it in time, you end up buying something much closer to regular price. ...Or even at regular price.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've been a broke student for all my life so far, this is the first year that I can actually afford to some real Christmas shopping. Going to be interesting...

Got summoned for lunch by my dad today, he'd apparently had a major party yesterday (retired professors still need to entertain visiting dignitaries every now and then) so I got called over to polish up some leftovers. Forgot the Auchentoshan this time, so the visit was a bit dry. Conversely, it rained cats and dogs on the way back... Two farewell parties at work tomorrow (research group and research institute), so need to get the Charles Heidsieck, blueberry muffins, coffee and citron-merengue pies organized at the right moments... instead of playing SWTOR through the night. :blink:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Ironed 10 shirts in an hour, new record. Watched Spike's Star Wars marathon too, all in all not a terrible weekend.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ironed 10 shirts in an hour, new record. Watched Spike's Star Wars marathon too, all in all not a terrible weekend.

I should learn how to do that some day. Maybe start with one shirt. Of course I would need to buy an iron first :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I should learn how to do that some day. Maybe start with one shirt. Of course I would need to buy an iron first :thumbsup:

Goddamn hippies.

It's all about reducing the wrinkle-age to acceptable levels. Or just making it look like you didn't sleep in it :thumbsup:

I do envy the other devs that can pull the t-shirt and jeans look. Lucky people aren't client facing.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, read about my company on glassdoor. Funnily enough, two reviews mentioned the nice furniture and carpeting.

Reformat/reinstall went from fine to not so fine. After testing system RAM (it's fine) I'm installing Win7 again, only removing that stupid 100MB "reserved" system partition this time. Also, not installing any of the nvidia 3D or HD sound drivers since I need neither. Some people get weird blank screen BSOD w/the sound ones so I'll try anything at this point. Yup, it's gonna be a "computers suck, why do I even bother" week. :ermm: At least my XP pc is still lively. *knock wood*

In other areas: those Firefox persona things are pretty nifty...yeah, I'm only trying them out now. Gotta figure out how to make them myself so I can create more personalized ones. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been facepalming the last couple of days.. Our resident center-left political party wanted to highlight poverty in Denmark and choose an example that not only destroyed their point but made it impossible to discuss this issue in the foreseeable future. They chose a woman who had more than 3.000$ monthly (after taxes) which she receives in government welfare, not only is that not poor, it's actually a lot better than what most 40 hours workers get. :aiee: So now we have actual poor people (with less than 200$ a month in one of the most expensive countries in the world) being ridiculed because "their" party is full of idiots..

Fortune favors the bald.

I've been facepalming the last couple of days.. Our resident center-left political party wanted to highlight poverty in Denmark and choose an example that not only destroyed their point but made it impossible to discuss this issue in the foreseeable future. They chose a woman who had more than 3.000$ monthly (after taxes) which she receives in government welfare, not only is that not poor, it's actually a lot better than what most 40 hours workers get. :aiee: So now we have actual poor people (with less than 200$ a month in one of the most expensive countries in the world) being ridiculed because "their" party is full of idiots..

What was their reasoning?

~~

Up betimes and had one of those days where you never stop doing stuff and then you get to the end and wonder what on earth you've been doing!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ever since you took your humanitarian trip to India, I've actually had a lot of respect for you, Ros. I mean, I've known a lot of liberals who talk the talk in terms of charity, but you have walked the walk. Makes it easier to take you seriously when you talk about poor folks. It's been a couple years since I volunteered, and I used to spend a lot of time doing volunteer work at various places.

Anyhow, I think Walsh and I should take a humanitarian trip to the African veldt. Humanitarian trip or a safari.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ever since you took your humanitarian trip to India, I've actually had a lot of respect for you, Ros.

Well my trip to India was actually research for a book (although I did participate in some fund-raising while there to help build hospitals and schools).. However for actual humanitarian work I volunteered 2 years at a rehab back here in ol' Denmark.

Also I think you should indeed go to Africa - both a safari and humanitarian..

What was their reasoning?

The women had been in contact with a politician from the party and had given examples of her life - like how she had to borrow money to buy shoes and medicine for her son etc.. but when journalists dug through her budget it became apperant that she used over 600$ for dog food, cigarettes and a cell phone subscription.. Now if smoking is more important than shoes for your son then it's not poverty that your problem, it's stupidity. Incidentally his medicine was for asthma (perhaps related to her smoking in the first place?)..

Fortune favors the bald.

Ready to toss this computer in the trash.

Re-watching Limitless so I can drool over Bradly Cooper instead of see red over tech issues.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ever since you took your humanitarian trip to India, I've actually had a lot of respect for you, Ros. I mean, I've known a lot of liberals who talk the talk in terms of charity, but you have walked the walk. Makes it easier to take you seriously when you talk about poor folks. It's been a couple years since I volunteered, and I used to spend a lot of time doing volunteer work at various places.

Anyhow, I think Walsh and I should take a humanitarian trip to the African veldt. Humanitarian trip or a safari.

I'm not going near Africa again any time soon. The whole place is more bonkers than ever. Well, maybe we could go to Ghana. I hear it's pretty cool. Libya would be fun to visit.

I'm not sure what use I'd be on a humanitarian venture. I can barely lift a laptop, these days! I suppose I could get a flyswat and point at things. :p

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Urg, got about 4 hours sleep and trying to kick myself into some format of wakefullness.

Hm, between winter weather and the puppy, the garden's turning into a paddock looking place of mud.. and the kitchen floor and hall carpet inside is just.. looking fairly awful, muddy paws and the bones dad keeps giving him to chew on is leaving its mark even with multiple daily vacuuming.

I'm going to have to try breaking out the carpet steam cleaner at some point .. probably before I start getting the christmas decorations out soon...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm having terrible heartburn again. I'll be damned if this is a heartattack. One glass too many too close to bed time more like it, but I feel like hell. I hope I can get a few hours of sleep before I have to get up.

Obsidian Plays

It's always fun to struggle with those moments of creative genius.

Most especially when you can pull the draft of a brief together in a very short time.. and then when you sit down to rework a few sections, make the summary snappy, and then produce a companion document ... you end up shuffling a few words around over hours and not having any of it actually sound right... >_<

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's always fun to struggle with those moments of creative genius.

Most especially when you can pull the draft of a brief together in a very short time.. and then when you sit down to rework a few sections, make the summary snappy, and then produce a companion document ... you end up shuffling a few words around over hours and not having any of it actually sound right... >_<

The trick is to not go back to what you've already written. ;)

Why my job rocks, client calls up and asks " How do I input 7 am: 07:00 or 00:70?"

Today am doing my self-review for the year, so that's a tedious task.

Today's run was basically all on ice ... ah Climate Change :?

Meanwhile, we haven't seen a single flake of snow in Southern Finland this year. :p