What you did today

Tale

Woke up this morning with that odd mix of laying so comfortably I really didn't want to get up.. but with that annoying pokey headache just lurking on the edges which wouldn't actually let me settle back properly.

Then we got the phone call from family about one of my cousins just died. Looks like melingitis. She went through her graduation ceremony the other week, then this week gets rushed into hospital, and suddenly slips into a coma and then brain death with no-one at the hospital realising just what it was she had.

Jesus Christ! Sorry to hear that. Meningitis is... well... you know. Meningitis is a ****.Nearly lost my mum, and one of my exes to the ****ing stuff.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Damn, that sucks, Raithe. Condolences if you were close.

Today being Turkey Day in the US, there's absolutely squat going on at work. Well for the other members of my team, I've got some poorly spec'd out work to do. Also, team is due to be 'decimated' in the future - but as there's only eight of us, I think we're all fine.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Condolences Raithe, that is terrible. And so sudden too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What's really.. the folks at the hospital apparently missed her going into a coma. First they missed the telltale rash of meningitis and were only keeping her in overnight so they could figure out what virus was having her feel sickm her mom went home for some things, came back and found her unresponsive in the hospital bed with blue lips. When she raised the alarm, the nurses realised she'd slipped into a coma, and by then it was too late and she was already brain dead.

But yeah, she only turned 18 a few weeks back. Had her graduation ceremony last friday.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What's really.. the folks at the hospital apparently missed her going into a coma. First they missed the telltale rash of meningitis and were only keeping her in overnight so they could figure out what virus was having her feel sickm her mom went home for some things, came back and found her unresponsive in the hospital bed with blue lips. When she raised the alarm, the nurses realised she'd slipped into a coma, and by then it was too late and she was already brain dead.

But yeah, she only turned 18 a few weeks back. Had her graduation ceremony last friday.

My condolences. Medical negligence makes me very, very angry, so I can't really write much else.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm sorry to hear about that, Raithe. Were you close? I mean, it's terrible to lose family, but if she were a close friend also that would just suck even worse. God rest her soul.

I'm getting ready to head out in a bit to the outlaws for Thanksgiving dinner.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm sorry to hear about that, Raithe. Were you close? I mean, it's terrible to lose family, but if she were a close friend also that would just suck even worse. God rest her soul.

I'm getting ready to head out in a bit to the outlaws for Thanksgiving dinner.

I wasn't that close with her, but it's hit my mom kind of hard. It's her side of the family, and that part of the family hasn't had the best time of late. Technically, she's my second cousin, her father (my actual proper cousin) went out with brain cancer the other year over christmas.

He did the whole "Right, I've got 3 months to live. I can take chemo, and potentially stretch it out to 6 months while feeling pretty damn miserable for most of it and not being myself. Or I can spend the time I do have with my family, being myself, and make sure we all have good memories."

So to have this suddenly happen out of the blue as well, isn't really settling well with my maternal family.

Edit: And on the totally unrelated and unemotional sidenote, I've had my C drive defragging today..and it's still going strong..about 5 hours after it started. When did 1 gig take this long...

Edited by Raithe

I should have started a defrag before I left for the inlaws. My niece just loves me. Everyone had a great time and I think Miami one the game. Woo Hoo!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hm , mom had her visit to the hospital this morning, the general checkup on her hand after the surgery. A few bits on the phsyio, and now she doesn't have to wear the splint alll the time.

Distracted the dogs with a couple of ham bones, and now trying to sort out what I should be doing this afternoon. Don't know why but I'm just feeling all worn down for some reason, need to gather my mojo back up into something effective.

After watching a suit get into it with a homelss guy (and lose) was wondering what the different variations of that term is. Surveying the office, most common usage is just someone whose suit has gone to his head, creating some arrogant douchebag. Super quiet day, bookstore here has Black Friday sales (Canadian stores want to keep people here), so that's my lunch plan - although I've nothing I'm burning to read.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

After watching a suit get into it with a homelss guy (and lose) was wondering what the different variations of that term is. Surveying the office, most common usage is just someone whose suit has gone to his head, creating some arrogant douchebag. Super quiet day, bookstore here has Black Friday sales (Canadian stores want to keep people here), so that's my lunch plan - although I've nothing I'm burning to read.

"into it"? Into what?

I'd say a suit is someone who enjoys wearing a suit. I'm not saying you can't get good suits. But how many people actualy wear good suits?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A fight, I missed most of the start of it though.

Woke up. Started PC. Browsed a couple forums for about 5 minutes, the (new) HDD made weird noises, Firefox froze again, then system froze. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not the HDD/hardware itself, something else has gone wacko that's causing programs (possibly FF) to wig out and then corrupt system data. Even hubby was like "weird, don't think it's the HDD now." Running a complete long-arse virus scan now;doubt that's it but may as well check. May have to reformat after all. Overdue anyway I suppose.

Pretty strange stuff. Gremlins...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's the ghost of Boone, LC. He has not appreciated being your plaything for three hundred hours, and WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE.

You must appease its Machine Spirit.

I think I may... I may have to stop drinking. :*

For the third time this month I go out and laugh it up on the beers with friends, sleep wrongly, and then am crippled all the next day with my back.

Still, I suppose if I just do it for a couple of months it could be cheap and interesting.

-Elwood Blues

Apparently, formatting (not the quick format...) a 2TB USB external hard drive takes a really, really, long time. I was hoping it'd be done by now so I could reformat/reinstall Win7 then do a quick system image backup of the clean install on it, but at this rate it'll be tomorrow morning. Stupid USB drive I bought was in FAT32 so I have to reformat to NTFS... :blink:

It's the ghost of Boone, LC. He has not appreciated being your plaything for three hundred hours, and WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE.

:)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After 8-9 hours ... 55% done! ... :blink:

I have a lot of errands to do this morning, so probably for the best anyhow.

Also...I've seen some videos of this years Black Friday madness. That stuff is just crazy...mob mentality. I'll never understand wanting something (materialistic) so badly that I'd put up with the risk of being trampled, pepper-sprayed, fist-fights over toys, camping out in line for days, etc.

After 8-9 hours ... 55% done! ... :blink:

I have a lot of errands to do this morning, so probably for the best anyhow.

Also...I've seen some videos of this years Black Friday madness. That stuff is just crazy...mob mentality. I'll never understand wanting something (materialistic) so badly that I'd put up with the risk of being trampled, pepper-sprayed, fist-fights over toys, camping out in line for days, etc.

Especially when most of the deals I see are of the "save 40 $ on something that costs 450 $"... Guess I haven't fully assimilated this consumerism thinking. :p

No, Nep, some of those deals are pretty damned good. Folks are even getting on Wal-mart (surprise) because some of its deals are so good that they should have anticipated mayhem and had extra security for the event.

Lazy day here. I might play some more PST with the wife or even enjoy the last bit of the holiday to play some skyrim. Depends on what she wants to do, I guess.

Obsidian Plays

No, Nep, some of those deals are pretty damned good. Folks are even getting on Wal-mart (surprise) because some of its deals are so good that they should have anticipated mayhem and had extra security for the event.

Lazy day here. I might play some more PST with the wife or even enjoy the last bit of the holiday to play some skyrim. Depends on what she wants to do, I guess.

I said most, not all. Seems like a classic example of promoting hysteria with (very) few significant discounts, so that the blood-tasting piranhas go into a shopping frenzy and buy a bunch of stuff at (near-)regular prices... Hardly an unknown phenomenon outside Black Friday, I grant you - and generally seems to work really well.

They have offers here to keep Canadians spending in Canada (patriotism ahoy!). Most aren't that impressive, bookstore had a Buy 3 get one free deal which didn't excite me much. Cyber Monday might have some neat deals though.

Edited by Malcador