Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Ripten: One Hour With Skyrim Finally Made Me a True Believer (Hands On)

Pretty funny and enthusiastic preview.

I'll opt out from commenting because I wasn't too impressed... though that may just be due to being tired from work and feel indifferent.

I think most people are impressed because 1) the faces actually look decent and 2) after Oblivion's inflated faces, anything's an improvement. :)

Looking at the pictures more closely...it looks like the people of Skyrim haven't heard of bathing, or at least, bathing regularly. They look like they haven't bathed in weeks/months/years.

I'll opt out from commenting because I wasn't too impressed... though that may just be due to being tired from work and feel indifferent.

I think most people are impressed because 1) the faces actually look decent and 2) after Oblivion's inflated faces, anything's an improvement. :)

Looking at the pictures more closely...it looks like the people of Skyrim haven't heard of bathing, or at least, bathing regularly. They look like they haven't bathed in weeks/months/years.

Speaking of rugged looking faces... Some people have been busy making a joke of it already:

Vl93Z.jpg

:lol:

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

The weird thing is that I should be waiting anxiously for a new Elder Scrolls game but time seems to be passing so damn quickly this year that it's not bothering me :)

Plus the fact Oblivion was so bad. My anticipation for each subsequent ES game has dropped following each iteration since Daggerfall.

Still, I am feeling more positive about this one than I probably should be based on Pete Howard's track record of continually mutilating the ES franchise with increasing fervor.

But I can't help wondering if I'm just letting my desire for another quality ES game get in the way of observation and common sense.

We'll see, though, won't we. :lol:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Pete Howard

Who?

lol.

Peter Hines and Todd Howard always come off to me like some 2 headed pr/developer creature.

The transposition was ineviyable at some point.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i have a feeling im going to play this game into the ground. then mod the hell out of it and play it into the ground all over again. just posting to say im excited.

111111 cmon already im getting impatient.

just realized its about 10 weeks away.... need to think of things to keep me mentally occupied for 10 weeks.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I loved Morrowind.

I liked Fallout 3.

I hated Oblivion. (Still haven't managed to finish it.)

I have no idea what to expect with this game.

Pretty much my feelings as well, though perhaps not quite as positive on MW.

I'm expecting, perhaps foolishly so, a big improvement from Oblivion to Skyrim. I think Bethesda learned some valuable lessons on how not to do things with Oblivion. And I think their work on FO3 can only make the ES products better.

So, I am surprisingly positive on Skyrim, especialy considering my extreme dislike of Oblivion.

I loved Oblivion.

I loved Fallout 3.

I adore Morrowind.

That's the order I played them, Oblivion I put down to being my first time, a shame to get your cherry taken by such a rough edged brute but it lead me to better things, I really don't think I could play it again though, my final run of Fallout 3 is suffering too, I think it's over familiarity.

Morrowind on the other hand I've only played once and it utterly drew me in, as a game I think it kinda sucks, an imbalanced jumble of half baked systems...which is half the appeal, leaping to Solstheim and back, jumping again and landing in the middle of the Ghostfence to get slaughtered by Daedra and corprus infected, Skyrim isn't going to top that, it probably won't keep me up at night pondering the nature of godhood and immortality either.

I'm sure I'll love it though

Seems I'm their little bitch :)

Bethesda has always been good at listening to their fanbase and trying to fix what went wrong with their games. Oblivion was just a case of over-fixing.

Let's face it, similar to CoD games they could just churn out another Oblivion clone and it would sell just as much. But they don't, and that's commendable.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

i LOVED morrowind

i loved oblivion (the first time through)

i loved fallout 3

i LOVED LOVED LOVED fallout new vegas

i'm pretty sure im goint to LOVE, or maybe even LOVE LOVE, skyrim. i'll be really really surprised if i LOVE LOVE LOVE skyrim. and be kinda disappointed if i only end up loving skyrim and not at least LOVING it.

so much love.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I loved only parts of Oblivion (both Gothic and even Two Worlds that came out in or around the same year, and did pretty much the same thing, were frankly way better). On the other hand, Shivering Isles was amazing, and Knights of the Nine was better than any questline in Oblivion as well.

People keep saying that, what exactly was so amazing about Shivering Isles? The dungeons were even more tedious than Oblivion, and you couldn't avoid going to one right after another. Agree about Knights of the Nine though.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Can't remember what I thought of the dungeons, but I do remember liking the story and quests more. They were way more interesting than in the main game, also the totally different terrain helped.

Wouldn't say it was amazing, but I did find it more fun.

People keep saying that, what exactly was so amazing about Shivering Isles? The dungeons were even more tedious than Oblivion, and you couldn't avoid going to one right after another. Agree about Knights of the Nine though.

I'm not a particular fan of the SI expansion, but I do think it is overall somewhat more interesting than the ultra-bland generic Oblivion setting.

It's still ruined by the basic gameplay mechanics, and the writing is still poor but at least Bethesda tried something a bit different.

Regardless, it's not even close to what was achieved in Morrowind, though it is a bit closer.

The environments in SI felt quite Morrowind-y after the ultra-bland Cyrodiil, Mania reminded me of Ascadian Isles and Dementia of Bitter Coast. I also remember a lot of the dungeons having small puzzles and little backstories.

I thought Knights of the Nine had some very good parts: the chapel attacks and recruiting the new knights and the backstories on what happened to the previous knights. It was probably the best thing about Oblivion, outside of some of the non-Bethesda mods.

However, way too much of the gameplay revolved around simply fighting enemies to get the magical foozles away in various dungeons. Lowest common denominator-type stuff all the way.