Battlefield vs Call of Duty

Cutlock

Have not seen a topic like this up here yet, so lets break it down from step I know that B3 comes out in 2 Days.

Fans: Both Battlefield and Call of Duty were both created to usurp Valve from that spot as Monarch of the FPS Genre which they got through Half-Life 2. Call of Duty came close, CoD 2 failed, CoD 3 put Treyarch off the map and Modern Warfare usurped Valve. Since MW, Call of Duty has been garnering more and more fans. Its easy to say, that they have more fans than Battlefield people who's fan rate started to drastically rise upon the release of Bad Company, as it was a steady pace before that, slowed a little by Bad Company II, but going far faster for B3, but its not going to be enough for Call of Duty, but that said, EA will finally likely have a stake in the FPS Genre. Gos to CoD.

Booty: Yes booty, by booty I mean treasure. Battlefield has always had far more to gain when you've played it, but nobody has ever been able to capitalize on that despite CoD not having this much needed feature. This is something I don't think that they improved at all in B3, how much you can get, they look to have improved the FPS capabilities shown in Call of Duty, but CoD has in one game with two developers passed this point quickly with Call of Duty Elite and the new cash system, but all in all, B3's system will probably run better. Gos to B3

Gameplay: Call of Duty features FPS gameplay to its extent. Battlefield 3 adds vehicles to the mix, Call of Duty offers more booty, who wins: B3, but that doesn't make it a better game.

Presentation: Battlefield has always had a better presentation, I mean look at Black Ops, they delved into the story so quickly with no explanation, just shooting. The story was very good, don't get me wrong, but honestly, it seems like a Cold War movie put into eight and less hours of gameplay. Gos to B3.

Maps: Call of Duty's maps are always going to be better, I mean look at how much experience Infinity Ward has had, Sledgehammer are the new boys in the game and they have some good ideas there. B3 cannot compete and this is what could make MW3 a better game, its maps, despite the fact that is gameplay is probably not going to be as innovative as B3's, it has the maps that make it feel as if it doesn't need to be innovative, as the maps are what is innovative less gameplay to the character means more room for the maps. Gos to CoD.

Lasting Appeal: Call of Duty hands down no argument.

Sales: Call of Duty hands down no argument, but it depends on the MW3 now doesn't it?

Sounds: Battlefield over CoD, MW3 over B3. This goes to Battlefield.

Who Wins:

CoD - Five out of Eight

Battlefield - Three out of Eight

Just because Battlefield got less than five doesn't mean its worse than MW3, because some categories are more important than others.

What is it you kids say these days ? 'Cool story, bro' ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Call of Duty is a game for people to prove they are the best, Battlefield is for proving that your team is..

Unfortunately the B series has moved closer and closer to CoDs style of play ever since Dice went over to the dark side (consoles).. and the quality has declined with every iteration because of this. Bad Company 1+2 is prime example of this, they removed the Commander, removed squad leaders and made it possible to spawn on any squad mate - and in all my matches, I've maybe had 10 or so games where my squad functioned and worked together. Which is very opposite of my experience in Battlefield 2 or 2142, where more often than not the commander and squads all work together and the entire team pushed forward together.

CoD (and the later version of Battlefield) will always be inferior games to me, precisely because they are so focused on the success of the individual player.

Fortune favors the bald.

Call of Duty is a game for people to prove they are the best, Battlefield is for proving that your team is..

Unfortunately the B series has moved closer and closer to CoDs style of play ever since Dice went over to the dark side (consoles).. and the quality has declined with every iteration because of this. Bad Company 1+2 is prime example of this, they removed the Commander, removed squad leaders and made it possible to spawn on any squad mate - and in all my matches, I've maybe had 10 or so games where my squad functioned and worked together. Which is very opposite of my experience in Battlefield 2 or 2142, where more often than not the commander and squads all work together and the entire team pushed forward together.

CoD (and the later version of Battlefield) will always be inferior games to me, precisely because they are so focused on the success of the individual player.

I think you will be happy with the decisions made for Battlefield 3 then. It isn't a complete return to the awesomeness of BF2, but it's a nice marriage of what worked in BC2 and BF2.

Battlefield 1942 is where it's at yo.

:)

There can be only one ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think you will be happy with the decisions made for Battlefield 3 then. It isn't a complete return to the awesomeness of BF2, but it's a nice marriage of what worked in BC2 and BF2.

They've made it impossible to change squad in game and still haven't brought back Commander, which is actually enough to keep me from buying the game. Imho it was one of the best features ever introduced in a multiplayer FPS. But you are right, they've brought back limited spawn and squad leaders, which is a very needed step "forward".

Fortune favors the bald.

I do like that my scout sets up a spawn station. One, it gives me something to do other than sneak around with my sniper rifle, and two, it is a pretty good match for the playstyle. I can sneak into a nice spot behind enemy lines and have my squad cause trouble.

Found them both pretty boring, really.

I like a simple well made shooter but not sure why they don't stick.

Not a big fan of the unlocks nonsense in MP, at least in BFBC2, but it does give people a sense of 'progression' apparently. Now Tribes was the best, looking forward to Ascend.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

So, gave the BF3 SP campaign a spin. Was a bit busy with other things, but was good mental-resetting for a few evenings, as games of this type tend to be. They still have a lot of room to improve, there's an abundance of QTEs that I found somewhat annoying. The campaign's also moved to a more CoD type corridor style, and Acti's boys frankly do that better. Though I really liked

the two russian levels, they have a different atmosphere and sense of urgency that is mostly missing from the rest of the game, where the waves sometimes seem a bit stretched out

. No fluid vehicle/foot changes this time around.

Still, a slick good-looking FPS production, I normally don't play a lot of them so can enjoy even the more cookie-cutter once when I get into one.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Users on Metacritic are tearing MW3 apart. Stark contrast to the "pro" reviews. Trollish angry fans I assume.....it can't be that bad, can it? :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can only comment on the SP campaign front, where I found MW3 to be better.

Though the Alexandre Dumas like empty killing of Soap without allowing us to control the original main character of the game irks me, but it could be just me

. Probably mostly due to the tighter controls, and neither of them is that memorable, frankly. I'll remember the farm exfil mission from MW1 a lot longer than either of these games. :lol:

Do you actually end up killing the French President ? When I was reading about Soap and Makarov in the spoilers that one was a bit random, heh.

Do you actually end up killing the French President ? When I was reading about Soap and Makarov in the spoilers that one was a bit random, heh.

No, you don't even see him as far as I can tell. :lol:

Ah ok, hard to tell with that series and its random stuff at times. Should be some playthroughs on Youtube soon, I can satisfy my curiosity on how exactly Soap buys it and Makarov.

Not quoting your spoiler (:lol:), but one thing I found kind of odd was that Ramirez (the other guy who gets a lot of air time in MW2) is completely absent from MW3.

His brain atrophied since Foley tells him what to do all the time.

His brain atrophied since Foley tells him what to do all the time.

Remind me to do "A day in the life of Ramirez" video. 2 mins of Sgt. Foley telling Ramirez to do menial stuff we do every day, "Ramirez, wake up" could be a hell of an alarm clock.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif