What you did today

Tale

I made a seven layer dip and we took it to a friends for some pulled beef BBQ. I was doing my best Iron Chef impersonation, slicing jalepenos, when I cut into my thumb deep enough to cut into the side of my thumbnail. Nothing like cutting jalapeno seed deep under your flesh. mmm MMM MMMMM The whole meal tasted pretty damned good and the three of us put away some five bottles of wine. Two Pinot Noir, one Merlot, and two of those nasty White Zins.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Woke up early for some reason, usually if I get up at 3 am I figure something's wrong..so had to check the house - parents, sister, dogs, furnace, faucets, hot water heater and doors - couldn't sleep after that so I watched a rather nice, albeit brisk, documentary on WW2 called 'Apocalypse'. Not sure why NatGeo had 6 minutes of ads for every 8 minutes of show, but whatever.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Friend of mine tried his hand at brewing his own whiskey. Do you brew whiskey? Is there some other term I should be using? Either way, it was surprisingly decent. I'm no expert and usually stick to mainstream whiskeys like Jack, but he did a pretty good job.

Had a two or three glasses of that and played Gears of War 3. Good night.

It's called distilling, and nah I've never tried that. Believe it or not that's actually illegal in the US and quite difficult to do. Brewing beer is easy (well, brewing beer that tastes good is not so easy). Freshly distilled whiskey is clear and almost all alcohol. It's actually only called moonshine if it's made from corn mash. Commercial distillers age the fresh whiskey in charred oak barrels for the period of time. Jack Daniels for example ages their black label for seven years. During that time it picks up it's color and flavor interacting with the barrel wood and as the ingredients in the wort begin to chemically seperate and the alcohol breaks down. Then they dilute it to reach the percentage they want becasue fresh out of the barrel it's around 120 proof. There was a great show on Discovery about that a few years back.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Urg, trying to juggle finances.

I really need (or would at least find it ridiculously useful) to pick up a new external drive so I could back a bunch of stuff up. But trying to fit it in with all the upcoming expenses as we run into christmas and such-like...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Friend of mine tried his hand at brewing his own whiskey. Do you brew whiskey? Is there some other term I should be using? Either way, it was surprisingly decent. I'm no expert and usually stick to mainstream whiskeys like Jack, but he did a pretty good job.

It's called distilling, and nah I've never tried that. Believe it or not that's actually illegal in the US and quite difficult to do. Brewing beer is easy (well, brewing beer that tastes good is not so easy). Freshly distilled whiskey is clear and almost all alcohol. It's actually only called moonshine if it's made from corn mash. Commercial distillers age the fresh whiskey in charred oak barrels for the period of time. Jack Daniels for example ages their black label for seven years. During that time it picks up it's color and flavor interacting with the barrel wood and as the ingredients in the wort begin to chemically seperate and the alcohol breaks down. Then they dilute it to reach the percentage they want becasue fresh out of the barrel it's around 120 proof. There was a great show on Discovery about that a few years back.

Do you work in a brewery or something? Because that was fascinating to read.

Do you work in a brewery or something? Because that was fascinating to read.

No, I just watched the discovery channel. Plus I am a connoisseur of fine bourbon. One correction though, it's oxidation not alcohol that causes the chemical breakdown while aging in the barrel. I guess I sould proof read before hitting "add reply" huh?

IMHOP the best bourbon whiskey in the world is Knob Creek Small Batch. It's bottled at "barrel strength", undiluted like the regular brand which gives it a bit more heat but the wort uses molasses for the fermentation rather than corn sugar which gives it a more earthy flavor. More smoky, less nuttly like the regular brand. It's a little bit more expensive but I never drink more than one or two glasses a night anymore so I'm going for quality over quantity these days.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have tried brewing beer which is legal and there are tons of places to get equipment and ingredients from but I never could get the carbonation right. Either it was too fizzy and tasted like some weird cross between beer & ginger ale, or it was flat. I gave up after a little while. It is fun to do though.

Thomas Sowell

Just talked to him, said he has been aging it for 3 or 4 years now. It has the whiskey-color but I suppose it wasn't as dark as Jack is. Delicious all the same.

Been fighting with Steam. After the latest patch on friday I haven't been able to login to my account for some weird reason. I contacted Valve and they even resetted my pw. But it still won't let me in. It just keeps telling me that my pw or account name is wrong, even though I've copypasted it from the email I got from Valve support.

Edit: As I was writing this it turns out the password started to work.. I guess my 2nd ticket did some miracles...

Hate the living, love the dead.

And in some cases, whatever has been in the barrels before (say, sherry) plays a big part in the formation of the taste of the whiskey. As is the case of the above mentioned Auchentoshan. -_-

I had a boss was in the habit of saying that it's a proper gentlemanly life when you're enjoying whiskey and female company at the same time, and the whiskey has been aged longer than the female company. Though apparently he fell on tougher times and went to prison later on, I hope he didn't switch to cheaper whiskeys.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And in some cases, whatever has been in the barrels before (say, sherry) plays a big part in the formation of the taste of the whiskey. As is the case of the above mentioned Auchentoshan. :)

I had a boss was in the habit of saying that it's a proper gentlemanly life when you're enjoying whiskey and female company at the same time, and the whiskey has been aged longer than the female company. Though apparently he fell on tougher times and went to prison later on, I hope he didn't switch to cheaper whiskeys.

-_- Might explain how he ended up in the big house

Thomas Sowell

Husband. Skyrim. Cat brushing/playing/hugging. Skyrim. Dishes, house chores, roast in oven, shower. Skyrim. Check on roast, watch husband play Rage. Skyrim. Cooking/eating & noticing black kitty likes tortilla chips. Skyrim.

...it's a good life.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Been fighting with Steam. After the latest patch on friday I haven't been able to login to my account for some weird reason. I contacted Valve and they even resetted my pw. But it still won't let me in. It just keeps telling me that my pw or account name is wrong, even though I've copypasted it from the email I got from Valve support.

Edit: As I was writing this it turns out the password started to work.. I guess my 2nd ticket did some miracles...

You know a bunch of accounts got hacked? I'd cancel your credit card and get a new one issued.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You know a bunch of accounts got hacked? I'd cancel your credit card and get a new one issued.

I know. Which is why I changed my password in the first place. Somehow it got bugged with the new Steam patch or I typoed it twice (old password was working just fine after the whole hacking thing). Then it was still bugging after Valve resetted it, but I think someone just forgot to finish up the task, so when I replied back they actually resetted it like they said they would. Now I've changed it back to something I came up with myself and it's working just fine.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Good idea to not have Steam save your credit card details too, I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fathers' Day around here... watched some Sherlock Holmes, ate some roast beef and had some of that much-plugged field corner (Auchentoshan) with my old man. Good times were had.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I miss my dad so it's good to hear you had a good time with yours, Nep.

I guess right now I'm taking the time to catch up on folks on the board here. Lazy Sunday evening. Leftovers for dinner. Some sort of live streaming show on netflix. Maybe a little vino. Life. is. good.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Mr. Black kitty was finicky, but I finally found this one dry food he likes/will eat (it's very low-carb/no corn meal/no rice), but Mr. Grey kitty wants nothing but the wet food. He's losing weight because he waits for me to dish it out, which I only do once a day, splitting one small can between them, as a treat. I keep hoping that Mr. Grey will eventually realize he's not going to get wet food 2-3 times a day and will eat some of the dry, but if he doesn't start eating more soon he's gonna be a stick. Cats! :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I though of Reservoir Dogs reading about your cats, heh. Today is a typical Monday, but at least I'm having fun picking how to burn my last 5 days off of the year - even if all I plan to do is just hang around the house, hah. Should have done this sooner, here you have to arrange more than two days off about a month in advance.