What you did today

Tale

Seconded. Watching you go through High School and into College is one of the best parts about being in this community.

Said in a non-creepy and stalker-tastic manner.. :rolleyes:

One of those incredibly rare days when I have no-one around today that I have to deal with. The dogs are with my sister, dad's taken mom out.. I thought I'd be able to focus with no distractions and get some serious work done.

Instead, I've just found myself totally scatterbrained all day.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

today I looked through some of my old posts on this forum, it's pretty weird that I've been here for like 6 years now. I'm only 19. I practically grew up on this forum. Thanks for all being so entertaining :rolleyes:

I've been using BIS forums (and now here) since like 1999. So that's like 12 years. And I'm only 23. So yeah, I also feel like part of me grew up on here.

Just an update for those interested - I am now regularly seeing that girl I was (am!) in love with. We usually wake up together and ****. It's great.

Also, I am doing awesomely at organic chemistry and Spanish (mid Distinction average last sem, aiming for a full High Distinction average this semester). Next year I will transfer to the ANU (Australian National University) which is the top university in Australia and one of the top 20 in the world.

So let's see:

1) Study/career finally path sorted - check (materials science!)

2) Finally found a girl who I am deeply in love with who is also deeply in love with me back and in a healthy relationship - check

3) Going to Costa Rica for 5 weeks in January to do conservation work and adventure sports - check

4) Moved in to a share house full of people I actually identify with and have a lot of fun with - check

5) Successfully learning another language fluently, Spanish - check

6) Seeing The Jezabels live in October - check

Life is excellent and Summer is approaching!

You left out point 7.

7) Murdered by jealous forumites. And Shryke, who basically joins in to be sociable.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now it will only get worse from here on out. :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now it will only get worse from here on out. :thumbsup:

Miserable bugger. It's Saturday!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just another day, except it's just personal tasks rather than corporate master tasks :thumbsup:

Messed up my own dreams by watching JCS and reading a 40k artbook, ended up dreaming I was some sort of Christian Space Marine, ah well, beats the ones about work I suppose. Had fun at the dentist, now it's back to cleaning up.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still scratching my head and trying to puzzle out last night. Bloke I know had a pint of beer spilled over him by some other's fellah's flung shoe in the pub. Man whose pint it was got a new pint bought for him, but man A was soaked. No real apology, so man A gets shirty. Tells the offender to do the proverbial. Offender gets highly aggressive in return, nearly goes to a fight outside. Landlord and others had to restrain us.

My own reaction was to pitch in on the side of man A. Firstly cause I know him,an d secondly because I know he's havinga rough time, redundancy etc. But it occurred to me today that I probably didn't help calm things down. Plus I simply can't cash the physical exertion IOUs any more. Bloody close shave.

I can't work out if I did the right thing or if I'm going to have to be more cowardly now. Pretty grim thought.

-Elwood Blues

A mere 9 hours until Monday, joy. Wasting the morning watching the dogs and trolling English football fans - amazing bunch of xenophobe dregs they are - but now that that's done my plan is to motivate myself to do work tomorrow. May pay a friend to jab me with a stick every 10 minutes.

accepted a bid to a fraternity last night. pledging starts tonight. I'm sure I'll laugh about it all later.

Get your ass ready for the gayest time in your life :thumbsup: Good luck!

@Wals: You don't need to win the fight you just need to stand your ground, and always remember "chicks dig scars"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

accepted a bid to a fraternity last night. pledging starts tonight. I'm sure I'll laugh about it all later.

Get your ass ready for the gayest time in your life :thumbsup: Good luck!

Luckily their hazing process has 3 rules:

1. no gay stuff

2. no physical hazing

3. no forced drugs

SO I SHOULD BE FINE RIGHT GUYS?

Picked up my first smartphone in Sprint's new 4G Samsung Galaxy II. I've played with galaxies before and know I love them, this particular one is super-thin and 4G seems to work OK where I am (Philadelphia). :thumbsup:

Wondering what the easiest way is for me to put my music on there too.

1. no gay stuff

2. no physical hazing

3. no forced drugs

I dunno, they could mentally haze you. Although not sure how without violating #2 (well and some laws no doubt, I imagine psychological torture or attempts at it are illegal).

1. no gay stuff

2. no physical hazing

3. no forced drugs

How strict is the enforcement and how would you like to be remembered as the guy who ratted the sorority out?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I was in a Fraternity, people who badmouth them usually have no idea what they are like. First off, they are completely diverse. I don't mean they have a lot of different races (although mine did.) I'm talking about all sorts of different guys. At the end of the day most fraternities are just a group of guys focused on two things, school and partying. You can get the same sort of thing living in the dorms or even an apartment, but frats tend to be more organized. Many of these fraternities have roots that go back to military institutes, and that is why they have rituals and other processes.

I was fairly anti-frat before I joined one. I also couldn't stand talking to most of the sorority girls, and then I married one. I won't say there weren't frats on our campus with a lot of douches, there are plenty, but you typically get a ton of different personalities in one house, particularly now that hazing is pretty much illegal.

I didn't even drink when I joined my fraternity. I waited a full year, until I was almost 21, before I started drinking. That was never held against me. Most of the guys in my house worked their way through college. It was a great experience and I still catch up with many of the guys regularly.

I guess I'm not knocking fraternities necessarily, but I AM knocking jock attitudes (and yes, the silly rituals and pecking order that go with them). They are unthoughtful, cater to the lowest common denominator, and hold people back.

I have never experienced a fraternity, but I am imagining them to be just worse forms of the jock colleges and jock structures in high school and university here.

So I'm glad you found something worthwhile in your fraternity, Hurlshot, but the good parts of what you're describing sound like any typical dorm/college experience at uni, while it sounds like you're glossing over the bad parts because you take them for granted. The traditional and ritual rubbish associated with jocks (and hence frats, based on popular media representation of them) is NOT required for that positive experience to occur and for many people taints it.

I guess I'm not knocking fraternities necessarily, but I AM knocking jock attitudes (and yes, the silly rituals and pecking order that go with them). They are unthoughtful, cater to the lowest common denominator, and hold people back.

I have never experienced a fraternity, but I am imagining them to be just worse forms of the jock colleges and jock structures in high school and university here.

So I'm glad you found something worthwhile in your fraternity, Hurlshot, but the good parts of what you're describing sound like any typical dorm/college experience at uni, while it sounds like you're glossing over the bad parts because you take them for granted. The traditional and ritual rubbish associated with jocks (and hence frats, based on popular media representation of them) is NOT required for that positive experience to occur and for many people taints it.

college in the US isn't like it is in the movies lol. some frats have all jocks, some have none. it seems like you're pretty ignorant on the subject to be honest so I don't see why you're claiming them to hold people back. actually, frats are a great way to network for post-college careers (I know plenty of kids who got their first job through a father of someone else in the frat, or a friend of a friend, ect.)

Never involved in fraternity due to living off campus and generally avoiding other students (woot enginering), but for the most part they just had normal parties and get togethers, nothing fancy or exotic from the people I knew who were part of one. Agree on the networking benefit though, so it's a useful tool.

I didn't have anyone in my house participating in school athletics (except for a couple trainers for the football team) so I'm not sure what Krezack means about the jocks. In fact I'm not quite sure what a jock school is.

To be honest, most of that I consider the jock types don't end up in college. They have their glory days in High School and then they kind of top out there. I don't know about them having rituals other than drinking beer and watching football. Which I enjoy every once in awhile myself, so maybe that makes me a jock.

I worked in an office as a student employee for 3 years during college, and sure enough, it was a frat brother that got me the job.

As I mentioned earlier, the rituals and chain of command are a product of most fraternities being born at military institutes. They may not be for you Krezack, but they mostly revolve around acting honorably and virtuous. They are about discipline and loyalty, and it's about bonding together to help each other through tough times.

Do some groups mess it up and go overboard? Of course, these are a bunch of young guys, there is going to be some stupidity. I chose a house that was considerably older in average age, our President was 25 and we had a few graduate students living in the house.

I'm not glossing over the bad stuff. Some guys drank too much, some guys never got a hang of the school part of being in a frat, and some guys were just ****. But when I graduated, looking back it was one of the best choices I made at school. Just the fact I met my wife and mother of my children at a basement party made it all worth it.