Investors now see Australia as a better place to invest than the USA or Germany.

Humodour

Why doesn't the US just admit they're already bancrupt and ready to default?

Why don't they just sell Alaska back to the Russians (or sell it to the Chinese for that matter). I seem to remember reading somewhere, that it is the greatest money pit and most subsidized by federal tax money place in the US :p

I'm investing in Australia too... bought some beer and a few bottles of wine :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm investing in Australia too... bought some beer and a few bottles of wine :p

Australia is cultivating vine grapes?

I didn't know there's even growing something down there... :sorcerer:

They grow more than just spiders and kangaroos 8)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why doesn't the US just admit they're already bancrupt and ready to default?

Why don't they just sell Alaska back to the Russians (or sell it to the Chinese for that matter). I seem to remember reading somewhere, that it is the greatest money pit and most subsidized by federal tax money place in the US :p

I'm investing in Australia too... bought some beer and a few bottles of wine :sorcerer:

Don't you ****ing dare! Alaska is awesome. They should sell off New York It's not really American in the first place.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sell Florida, lose old people and meshbacks. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sell Florida, lose old people and meshbacks. :p

To the british please.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Here's the core of the current U.S. debt crisis: a number in section 3101(b) of Title 31 of the United States Code is too low. It takes a simple act of Congress to amend the U.S. Code. That's it. The only question is how large a pound of flesh the various factions in Congress are able to extract in exchange for their "yes" vote. (And how soon we'll be back in the same situation again, as they don't have the sense to just abolish the limit and be done with it.) Yes, the aggregate level of federal debt is higher than I'd like it to be, but, based on the judgment of the marketplace, which is still willing to buy Treasuries at quite a low risk premium, it's certainly not high enough to constitute a "crisis" absent the artificial statutory limit.

About Australia, I get it. It's a stable developed economy, with generally sensible governance and reasonable debt levels, that isn't going through the current political troubles that America is or the intra-eurozone problems that burden the big economies on the Continent. And it has been a major beneficiary of the huge Chinese fiscal stimulus, given how much of its economy is resource-extraction-based and how much of those resources are sold to the PRC, helping it get through the current global downturn better than most.

(In some circles, investment in Australia is actually used as a proxy for investment in China. Because, as I mentioned, relative to other stable, developed nations, Australia's economy is pretty heavily focused on raw materials extraction and export, and because the chief buyers for those exported materials are in China, the variation between the Aussie economy and that of the rest of the developed world tends to be driven heavily by the level of Chinese demand for raw materials. So, if one projects further growth in China, investing in Australia is a way to profit from it without exposing one's self to the political and corporate-governance risks that direct Chinese investment often brings.)

Edited by Enoch

Here's the core of the current U.S. debt crisis: a number in section 3101(b) of Title 31 of the United States Code is too low. It takes a simple act of Congress to amend the U.S. Code. That's it. The only question is how large a pound of flesh the various factions in Congress are able to extract in exchange for their "yes" vote. (And how soon we'll be back in the same situation again, as they don't have the sense to just abolish the limit and be done with it.) Yes, the aggregate level of federal debt is higher than I'd like it to be, but, based on the judgment of the marketplace, which is still willing to buy Treasuries at quite a low risk premium, it's certainly not high enough to constitute a "crisis" absent the artificial statutory limit.

The marketplace didn't think there was a crisis in mortgage securities either until the whole thing collapsed. I'd say financing 40% of your budget through borrowing with no end in sight is a crisis, and that's even before social security and medicare turn to deficits instead of surpluses.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The marketplace didn't think there was a crisis in mortgage securities either until the whole thing collapsed. I'd say financing 40% of your budget through borrowing with no end in sight is a crisis, and that's even before social security and medicare turn to deficits instead of surpluses.

Well... and this is silly... we wouldn't be in this position if the same people pushing us towards a default hadn't blocked moves to try to raise revenue via tax increases on the top 3%

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Speaking only for myself I would not buy US Bonds right now if they took dried coyote poop as payment. But it is not because of the current "crisis" which as Enoch correctly points out is a made-up political theatre event. No I am convinced the US will without question spend itself into insolvency at some point in the not too distant future but it will not be next week. Right now the only investments I think are safe is real estate (which is never the wrong way to go) and commodities. But real commodities are over priced right now so be ready to sell before everyone realizes the world is not ending.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well... and this is silly... we wouldn't be in this position if the same people pushing us towards a default hadn't blocked moves to try to raise revenue via tax increases on the top 3%

Why don't we increase taxes on you instead? Why do people always assume someone else needs to pay for them?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Why don't we increase taxes on you instead? Why do people always assume someone else needs to pay for them?

'coz even Adam Smith understood the advantages of progressive taxation.

I don't mind paying taxes. I mind people with more money than I have spending a part of the money on corruption, so that politicians will give them tax cuts. :skull:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, among other things, right now I'm below the poverty line technically.

And because bumping up the taxes on the top three percent a very small number of points will create more revenue than kicking up the number of taxes on the lower economic demographics by a not-insignificant margin.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think it's ironic that I seem to be the only person who is sad that the USA has been bungholed. I quite like the USA. I very much like not having the world economy collapse like an Iranian general's breath.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think it's ironic that I seem to be the only person who is sad that the USA has been bungholed. I quite like the USA. I very much like not having the world economy collapse like an Iranian general's breath.

Hey, it could be worse. The U.S. could be in as bad a situation as the Eurozone is.

Anyhow, it looks as if the immediate debt-limit faux-crisis has been averted (pending the Senate vote tomorrow). The austerity measures will hurt, certainly-- even if certain spending is wasteful from a particular point of view, it's a profit for somebody, and taking it away means taking away income, jobs, and GDP. (Sure, there are areas where the government is doing a lot more than it should, but that doesn't mean that the transition to them doing less won't be painful.) And, the political process being what it is, when the details are hammered out, they probably won't do much to get at the real reason why America's long-term fiscal situation is a problem-- that would involve tackling health care costs in a meaningful way, which would anger too many people both on the left (medicare/medicaid beneficiaries) and on the right (healthcare providers and the pharmaceutical industry).

Also, I just took a look at the legislation that will actually address the debt limit issue, and now I need another drink. It's going to be causing a lot of work-related headaches for me over the next few months. I mean, the core provisions were passed as amendments to the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985! (Which, ironically, is what Congress produced the last time that there was a self-inflicted "crisis" because the opposition tied the nation to the railroad tracks and demanded a ransom before voting to raise the debt limit.) So, now, every time I need to understand part of the new law, I'm going to have to find the text of a 25-year-old law, along with all the amendments and legal interpretations (at least part of the original has been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court) it has gathered over the years to find definitions sections and other important context.

With Italy tanking I'm asking myself for the first time if it's worth going abroad, lungfish style. Just hole up somewhere dirt cheap and full of mosquitos with a shotgun and plenty of rum. Live on ...I've no idea. Come back in five years when the dust has settled. :)

-Elwood Blues

With Italy tanking I'm asking myself for the first time if it's worth going abroad, lungfish style. Just hole up somewhere dirt cheap and full of mosquitos with a shotgun and plenty of rum. Live on ...I've no idea. Come back in five years when the dust has settled. :yucky:

There is always Australia. ;)