Commercial success

The game isn't even in the Top 10 so it will never shift a million units. Maybe longterm, but that's not what publishers are interested.

It is, though? And what Top ten do you even mean?

Also a million units isn't that unbelievable a goal.

Edited by C2B

Have to remember those european charts only have few opening days in them and there's no numbers for digital sales (only the stats of how many people are playing it on Steam). Also the goal was to ship million units, still plenty of time for that. Lots of gamers are waiting for the price to drop as well. I would imagine they will still make a profit with the first sale campaings.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Have to remember those european charts only have few opening days in them and there's no numbers for digital sales (only the stats of how many people are playing it on Steam). Also the goal was to ship million units, still plenty of time for that. Lots of gamers are waiting for the price to drop as well. I would imagine they will still make a profit with the first sale campaings.

Again which charts are we talking about? DSIII is in the top 10 of multiple of them. And don't forget its just the opening day.

If you mean Amazon. Look at the List first. Then you may understand why. Also it was higher before (Since Preorders went out it sank somewhat expected)

DNF isn't even an AAA game, it's a B game sold at a price of a triple A product :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Post info here regarding how well Dungeon Siege 3 is selling.

It's in 2nd place on Steam.

3rd place(digital) and 16th retail on Amazon.com for the PC.

20th place for the 360 on Amazon.com.

18th for the PS3 on Amazon.com, as well.

It's among the best sellers on Gamestop's home page.

Not surprising considering how long its been since the last game. Preordering gives such missleading info, they seell the **** outta the game before it comes out, that way when it does come out, no matter how bad it is, they made a butt load of money so it was a great game right? Sorry they might have sold alot of copies but that does not make it anything less than a Gauntlet clone under a different name.

I actually think the marketing for FEAR 3 is on the low side this time around, I only heard about it last week.

High Profile First Person Shooter

This is already why it will sell more. The game actually seems to have gathered a lot of interest in this short time. Its at the top of several charts. Including Amzon and Steam.

Edited by C2B

Again which charts are we talking about? DSIII is in the top 10 of multiple of them. And don't forget its just the opening day.

If you mean Amazon. Look at the List first. Then you may understand why. Also it was higher before (Since Preorders went out it sank somewhat expected)

I was talking about the Neogaf PAL charts. It's quite sad there isn't as accurate info on games as there is about movie box office...

Hate the living, love the dead.

I was talking about the Neogaf PAL charts. It's quite sad there isn't as accurate info on games as there is about movie box office...

I just did a quick search and came up with this website. To be honest, I have no clue about this kind of thing... Would a site like this give a legit account of weekly sales?

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Since most people didn't bother to actually check the link:

Week 24.

United kingdom.

12 (__) 360 Dungeon Siege Iii (Square Enix Europe)

26 (__) PS3 Dungeon Siege Iii (Square Enix Europe)

Ireland.

19 (__) Dungeon Siege Iii (Square Enix Europe)

Denmark.

10 (__) Dungeon Siege Iii (Ubisoft)

Germany.

06 (__) [PS3] Dungeon Siege 3 (Square Enix Europe)

Those were the countries that we have info for.

I just did a quick search and came up with this website. To be honest, I have no clue about this kind of thing... Would a site like this give a legit account of weekly sales?

VGchartz is pretty much horrible rubbish, but the 'best we have'. Its numbers are made up of tiny samples blown up (e.g. call 50 stores x 5000), PC sales does not include digital sales (because pretty much no digital retailers release that information publicly), and pretty much, it's only a good ballpark for whether a game is selling over a million copies or selling half a million, etc. In other words - as reliable as occasional publisher comments about "game ships 1.5 million", etc.

Only way to know for sure, for DS3 or any game, is wait for the publisher's results at an AGM or something, or if the publisher decides to announce the sell-in/sell-through numbers.

My impression just from those charts is that DS3 has been selling 'well' (good but not lighting the world on fire), but how fast the sales declines in the first 2 months will be important too - DA2, for instance, was notable for how amazingly fast it dropped.

Week 24.

United kingdom.

12 (__) 360 Dungeon Siege Iii (Square Enix Europe)

26 (__) PS3 Dungeon Siege Iii (Square Enix Europe)

All three versions counted together it was actually the 9th best selling title that week.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p...p&ct=110015

@Tigranes The Neogaf ones are actually pretty good sources.

Edited by C2B

VGchartz is pretty much horrible rubbish, but the 'best we have'. Its numbers are made up of tiny samples blown up (e.g. call 50 stores x 5000), PC sales does not include digital sales (because pretty much no digital retailers release that information publicly), and pretty much, it's only a good ballpark for whether a game is selling over a million copies or selling half a million, etc. In other words - as reliable as occasional publisher comments about "game ships 1.5 million", etc.

Only way to know for sure, for DS3 or any game, is wait for the publisher's results at an AGM or something, or if the publisher decides to announce the sell-in/sell-through numbers.

My impression just from those charts is that DS3 has been selling 'well' (good but not lighting the world on fire), but how fast the sales declines in the first 2 months will be important too - DA2, for instance, was notable for how amazingly fast it dropped.

Awesome. Thanks. =)

No idea where this score comes from but at present it's #22 on Steam's top 100 played game list. Sounds good but if you check the stats it's only doing about 3x better than Oblivion which is a much older game and only just beating Duke Nukem which is a stinker of a game - rated 3.5 (BAD) by GameSpot! The real test of its quality, as aside from how much money it'll make, is how long it'll get played for.

Rank | Current Players | Peak Today | Game

#1 | 19,902 |24,657 | Team Fortress 2

#4 | 12,352 | 15,597 | Sid Meier's Civilization V

#14 | 4,082 | 7,604 | Total War SHOGUN 2

#18 | 3,240 | 6,906 | Empire: Total War

#22 | 2,727 | 4,220 | Dungeon Siege III

#23 | 2,184 | 4,342 | Duke Nukem Forever

#40 | 935 | 1,043 | The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition

Post info here regarding how well Dungeon Siege 3 is selling.

It's in 2nd place on Steam.

3rd place(digital) and 16th retail on Amazon.com for the PC.

20th place for the 360 on Amazon.com.

18th for the PS3 on Amazon.com, as well.

It's among the best sellers on Gamestop's home page.

No idea where this score comes from but at present it's #22 on Steam's top 100 played game list. Sounds good but if you check the stats it's only doing about 3x better than Oblivion which is a much older game and only just beating Duke Nukem which is a stinker of a game - rated 3.5 (BAD) by GameSpot! The real test of its quality, as aside from how much money it'll make, is how long it'll get played for.

Duke Nukem will get played just because it IS the duke regardless of the quality. And how long it will get played for doesn't really matter in the end in this case. Also I wouldn't say quality. Rather its popularity.

The real test of its quality, as aside from how much money it'll make, is how long it'll get played for.

I disagree with that. Some games are designed around an extended playing time. DS3 is primarily a campaign game, you play through a story. Sure, you can play from all 4 characters and you can mix it up with co-op, but it isn't going to warrant the hours that an online shooter like Team Fortress 2 or an open world modder's dream like Oblivion.

Which is great by me, I love a good story.