Some updates re: feedback

They wouldn't have an NDA saying "We shall not tell the gamers what's in a patch", but for example Obsidian couldn't say "Oh we want to give you another patch but we can't because Square wont' let us and we have to wait for them to do some clearance stuff", depending on the contract/relationship.

It's silly, but sadly, that's the industry norm.

The thing is there's so much stuff covered by the NDA that don't they usually like have to check anyways what info they can give. Can't remember who said it from Obs.

Hate the living, love the dead.

The demo is a spoiler and it makes the game looks bad. Now I know why ppl complain sooo much about story. Some of them haven't even played the full game ! Screw U haters. The next time U hate sth know it thoroughly first! This is sadly my last post on this forum. I'm taking a break from game since school year's about to begin. Hopefully when I'm back I'll se fewer haters and more DS3 fans...and I wanna see an expansion then.

Anyway, I really like to thank Obsidian for the feeds and DS3 still has lots of untapped potentials. Hope U guys are tapping on it.

U guys have my support.

Hasta La Vista

Edited by Raikiri123

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm coming a bit late to this game, but I just registered to air my praise and frustration with Dungeon Siege 3 -- hopefully more praise than frustration.

Let me first state that I bought Dungeon Siege 3 exclusively based on my past experiences with Gas Powered Games' previous iterations on a nothing but awesome RPG. DS 1 and 2 were epic: You could explore most any part of the 'world', gameplay was diverse and non-linear (for the most part) and mulitplayer made the game exponentially fun. Yes, there were issues, but the developers and MODDING worked to correct them. And the expansive community, wow. So much re-playability with custom-content.

I have played through the game twice now in Single-Player which is very fun and manageable. Just trying different actions to see how it effects the outcome is fun.

I know I'm only adding more logs on the fire, but I think until a patch is fast-tracked it needs to be continually echoed:

1) The Multi-Player camera was a major mistake.

a. Shared view space? This does not work. Release the shackles of shared-screen gaming for the PC (maybe consoles too?) and give us arrows or directional indicators where our party-members are. Not to mention the camera rotation and angle adjustment... I find half of my time spent in-game is trying to adjust the camera angle just so I can see where I'm going. Don't even attempt to see what may be ahead...

b. Auto-rotation and zoom restriction. In single-player the camera is manageable but the zoom restriction leaves much to be desired. Why must I be forced to view the ground only 10 feet in front of me, or the area 12 feet in front of me but blurry? Why am I not allowed to zoom out far enough to see who is attacking me? (Usually riflemen or archers who are able to see and shoot at me from 1.5 screens away, but I can only see their projectiles take my life away).

2) Linear gameplay. Yes, yes, yes I know, the game has a story to be told and a specific order with which to tell it. But part of what made DS3's predecessors so great was that you could jump and and go anywhere. Yes some things required progression, but if you so desired you could trek to easter island or the pyramids in the desert and get your face stomped in as an under-rated level character. Or head right to the mines.

3) Open development. Gas Powered Games did well to make DS1 & 2 community-compliant. By that, they envisioned re-playability through diverse expansion. CaveDog entertainment did the same with their lineup. (Google them, if you want to know who was running that outfit too). Yes, we all understand the risk of 'modded content' on a console, but remember who your demographic is for this game: PC gamers and mod developers. With RPG games comes the expectation to be able to open the doors and let loose a flood of custom-content. That obviously was not part of the plan with DS3: There are no developer tools, no mods and new content appears to be coming by way of sanctioned DLC expansions. If that is the case, so be it. But just remember what market share you are 'excluding'. By turning the focus away you're aiming for the 'play and forget' market.

That is all... Hopefully the camera update will happen. Sadly, if not my friends and I will end up in the 'play and forget' category and pass up future DLCs...

• 2 weeks later...

Not giving mod tools to the community does not ruin the market. Look at Microsoft with it's Windows...the community asked for the source code since the release of this OS and still they got nothing...while Linux is basically a community based OS and ofc it's much more reliable and secure, but a lot more people are using Windows ( because of various reasons, anyway this is another discussion ) In my opinion needing to mod a game equals that the game is crap and you should have not bought it in the first place. If I'm wasting a large amount of hours moding/polishing a game that I payed for it's not worth the trouble. If you start a franchise you need to pump new titles and expansion packs regularly so the community won't get bored. Take a look at Diablo series...1996 Diablo I / 1999 Diablo II / 2001 Diablo II LoD as you can see the gap between them is small and yet in such a small time they managed to make a completely new game. Just check Diablo II vs. Diablo II LoD, after 2 years they added 2 classes, new area, new gfx/resolution, changed the game mechanics 100%, tons of items and so many things to do. Indeed even in 2011 if you want a true action rpg/dungeon crawler you look at Diablo. Even Diablo has some mods but they popped up after so many years and look at your precious "Oblivion" such an "uber" game that NEEDS to be played with mods because otherwise the game experience is crap. Overall while I am paying someone for a service I expect them to do that service 100% and not just 50-60% and the rest is up to me because I have the tools...sounds kinda lol to me.

Not giving mod tools to the community does not ruin the market. Look at Microsoft with it's Windows...the community asked for the source code since the release of this OS and still they got nothing...while Linux is basically a community based OS and ofc it's much more reliable and secure, but a lot more people are using Windows ( because of various reasons, anyway this is another discussion ) In my opinion needing to mod a game equals that the game is crap and you should have not bought it in the first place. If I'm wasting a large amount of hours moding/polishing a game that I payed for it's not worth the trouble. If you start a franchise you need to pump new titles and expansion packs regularly so the community won't get bored. Take a look at Diablo series...1996 Diablo I / 1999 Diablo II / 2001 Diablo II LoD as you can see the gap between them is small and yet in such a small time they managed to make a completely new game. Just check Diablo II vs. Diablo II LoD, after 2 years they added 2 classes, new area, new gfx/resolution, changed the game mechanics 100%, tons of items and so many things to do. Indeed even in 2011 if you want a true action rpg/dungeon crawler you look at Diablo. Even Diablo has some mods but they popped up after so many years and look at your precious "Oblivion" such an "uber" game that NEEDS to be played with mods because otherwise the game experience is crap. Overall while I am paying someone for a service I expect them to do that service 100% and not just 50-60% and the rest is up to me because I have the tools...sounds kinda lol to me.

Then why do I feel that this game needs a total conversion mod or two?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game and i've got to say it was both enjoyable and very stable, only had one crash and that was when I was exiting the game so didn't really bother me. Liked the logical and tragic story that slowly revealed itself along with the sensible supporting cast and their realistic motivations, and even though i'm a rather ham fisted ape I found the combat none too taxing, which for me was suprising as action rpg's and I don't often gel.

I did like some of the more unusual and outlandish designs that permeated the gameworld and the vast array of choices that were presented to you along the way were suprisingly effective, still regret sending down the dapper old gent. I've made a save just before leaving to give old Jayne a damn good thrashing in preperation for the forthcoming dlc which i'll be snapping up when it comes out.

In summation: I found this to more than equal the original dungeon siege game, which quickly became tiresome to me without a strong narrative to hold the long bouts of automated combat together. I would however have liked the ability to look up and behold vistas at some points in the game (The forests of the Rukkenvahl, the grand chapterhouse and Jaynes spire to name but a few.)

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

• 4 weeks later...

All right, I have finally formed all thoughts together now to give you my opinion of Dungeon Siege 3:

Great game!

I do have some nitpicks, but I have a lot more positives. First the nitpicks, which are mostly technical: I wish multiplayer was better implemented. I have a copy of the game and I bought my mother a copy, but short of plugging in my controller into her computer, I still haven't figured out how to play a private game over our LAN network. In order to play together we had to play as public which wasn't what we wanted. Secondly, I'm still not fond of the health orb drops. There are a lot more that I've found now than in the demo, but I'd still prefer to have health potions. I also don't like save points on a PC game. I'd rather be able to save my game anywhere, rather than being stuck at one predetermined spot. I realize you have to do that on consoles, but on a PC game that shouldn't matter. I do wish that other controllers besides the xbox were supported. I have a Logitech Dual Action controller and I have to use an emulator to make it work.

And lastly, Steam. I don't mind Steam, per se, but I don't like it when I buy a DVD and it just installs it on my Steam client. I know that it makes updating it a lot easier, but I've just never been a big Steam user. I don't even know much of how it works (for example, I still don't know where this 'play offline' feature is).

Now, to the good!

I love the characters, particularly Lucas, Anjali, and Reinhart. I never warmed up to Katarina all that much, and I can't say why. Perhaps it's her accent, maybe it's just her personality. Maybe it's the fact that she pretty much complained at me all throughout the game as a companion :rolleyes: My favorite to play was Anjali, and my favorite companion was Lucas. Reinhart though was great too. All four characters were distinct and I liked that combat relied more on strategy and when to use what type of style. I found out, to my annoyance when I played it for the first time (before there were any patches available), that I'd pretty much made the game that much harder by neglecting Anjali's fire form when switching to that form made a world of difference in a boss fight.

The world is beautiful, though I must admit seeing Stonebridge was a bit of a culture shock, having just recently seen what Stonebridge originally looked like in DS1 when I replayed it. It took a long while to warm up to, particularly after I heard what they did to the Legion, which maybe that was what was intended, I don't know. There were the 'good apples' and the 'bad apples', like any city.

Combat is great. It doesn't hold your hand; I've died countless times, but I just went back in again and eventually, I won. Some characters fights were easier; others they were harder. It always gave me a sense of accomplishment at the end, I can say that. Granted, if you heard me during some of those really hard battles, you'd think I hated the game :) Yes, I was mentally cursing that much at times.

The biggest compliment: the game runs as smooth as glass. I had a hiccup in recent days, but it wasn't due to the game. I can run it on max settings without so much as a hitch on my overclocked quadcore, but even before I had my recent computer upgrade, it still ran great. It makes enjoying a game a lot easier when I'm not fighting the game itself because it's running poorly. I've never had a crash (well, okay that wasn't true; it did crash after I quit just now but I probably did that myself when I left it running for half an hour while I was elsewhere).

Another thing I liked was the DLC. For the price, I got a lot of hours in it and the story was good. I can't help but wonder if the DLC's choices will be incorporated in any future games. Just to make sure I had my bases covered, I did make Katarina choose a different option than the others just in case so I can see what happens.

The story in the main campaign was really good too. Every decision you make has a point and it adds up. Each side has merit. I was never fully happy with the outcomes of the Gent. I wanted everyone to be happy, darn it :lol: But it's a more one or the other, so I've done it all manner of ways and saved those games for importing for hopefully future games. The endings were good, as well. I won't spoil anything, promise. I'm not the type for violence out of hand, so I never did any 'justice' in that respect, but I tried all four of the other endings. One I felt was a cop-out because I felt Jeyne didn't get punished at all and I felt sorry for Anjali afterwards; the rest had a lot of potential.

I liked the game so much that I have played it fully three times already with all the different characters and I'm in the middle of my fourth.

I'm hoping for a sequel with Lucas, Katarina, Reinhart, and Anjali. One ending in particular could make for a great game (the most 'forgiving' ending for Jeyne), and there is always the possibility of other foes and the struggle to rebuild the Legion. I agree with Nonek in that this was a more than equal game to Dungeon Siege, which did, at times, grow tiresome (in particular the large dungeons that you could easily get lost in and spend hours trying to find your way out). I think a Dungeon Siege 4 would have a lot of potential, particularly with some of the issues still left unresolved.

I really like this game a lot, so I thought I should let you guys know before I go back to playing it. Besides taking a break for washing my dog, playing this game is all I've gotten done today! :lol:

Edited by DaemonDarque