PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

Can't believe you fell for it C2B, he's having you for a laugh. ;)

Fine. Just didn't really had him as that much of a troll before.

Seriously though, can you remove the image links from the posts Tigranes? Magazine Scans.

Not a troll, just not naive. If the text wasn't too blurry to type up and run through babelfish I would have.

I'll sit on the fence until I see some reviews.

It doesn't float for you? The gold lays on the ground, but everything else hovers in the air. Armor, weapons, things like that just bob around at about chest height.

I'll have a look next time, but I always play in the 'iso' camera angle, so maybe I didn't notice. Sure looked like they were on the ground though. But if that's a bug for your game that's a very odd bug to happen.

The wider top-down angle? That's what I've been using as well. It's probably most noticeable on the big two handed swords, they stand up on point starting at about knee level with the hilt somewhere up above your head. Hopefully floating loot is a bug, because it's really weird. ;) The last time I saw unidentified flying powerups was Doom 2. :p

Does anyone else see floating armor, weapons and such?

Edited by Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

Does anyone else see floating armor, weapons and such?

yes, and it's a good thing. rotating items are easier to spot (since there's no light up button). one other thing I'd like to see is making the items easier to pick, because it seems you have to stand on top of them to receive the prompt

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

From the sound of it a gamepad is highly recommended.

I don't get why PC gamers suddenly decided that controllers other than M&K are unworthy of their time. Alternate controllers used to be a staple of any PC gamer's setup and besides, gamepads are a user interface like any other. You don't refuse to use a steering wheel for your racing games on the principle of the thing, do you?

Lots of games are designed to control better on a specific controller, and they're better for it.

Mouse and keyboard are the basic PC control whereas controllers are for consoles. Sure if you're into driving games you get a steering wheel, or a joystick for flight games but a console style controller for a computer?!?!? Where do you see those? I remember having a gamepad back in the days of DOS or something but that's eons ago. I can't recall having seen one since. I admit I don't go PC shopping very often but joysticks and steering kits are common, console controllers for PC's aren't.

I don't think enemy scaling works that way anyhow, at least it doesn't in Fallout. If I understand it correctly, if you meet a radscorpion at level five, it will scale to level five. However, if you go back and fight a radscorpion at level ten, the scorpion is still at level five.

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

The guy never explained how he can tell that DS3 has level scaling. We've never heard a single thing about this from the devs, and from your own experiences with the demo, you will know yourself - how can anybody tell if there is level scaling in the demo anyway? You barely level up three times and fight a dozen mobs, most of which you're bashing too fast to tell how much HP they have. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't remember a Lescanzi gunman miraculously gaining double hitpoints within an hour.

As for the control scheme, I suggested RTS-ish game-play option for PC quite a long time ago. However, even I suggested it by myself, I don't think it can achieved easily. In fact, more realistic aspects of my doing that was to see if the designers have better idea/plan or more realistically, if they put weight on game-pad control scheme, which is a rational choice considering the circumstances, to say at least. I made the "suggestion" since it's no brainer that it must be a major hurdle for multi-platforming for this kind of game. So, no surprise for my part. :rolleyes:

Er...level-scaling? What is the point of it in a non-sandbox style RPG like this one? Must be a misunderstanding of some sort. :o

The guy never explained how he can tell that DS3 has level scaling. We've never heard a single thing about this from the devs, and from your own experiences with the demo, you will know yourself - how can anybody tell if there is level scaling in the demo anyway? You barely level up three times and fight a dozen mobs, most of which you're bashing too fast to tell how much HP they have. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't remember a Lescanzi gunman miraculously gaining double hitpoints within an hour.

DS1\DS2 and most games you stay 'balanced' with the enemy because as the game progresses linearly and as you level up you encounter tougher foes (who provide more XP). Oblivion etc, is one of the few games I'm aware of with levelling foes and I hadn't heard of it for DS3. Then again everything else is changing so why not this?

The guy never explained how he can tell that DS3 has level scaling.

I think I know : in the help section, it's explained that as enemies become stronger, you will need to increase your ability scores to keep the same chance of inflicting effects. Of course, how he came to the conclusion that this meant that the enemies were level-scaled is anyone's guess :lol: .

Impression by GetWellGamers (SA User, Charity Owner and occasional Obsidian Focus Tester)

Having finally played the demo (After previously playing much more ) it's almost like a completely different game. Losing the sidequests, the interesting conversations, stopping it right as it starts getting good... I mean, I love you guys, but I think you showed what's probably the slowest and least interesting part of the story's build-up, and then somehow made it worse by cutting a lot of the retail version's stuff.

The PC control thing I can't say anything for, because I did all mine on the PS3 and thought the controls were butter-smooth with a controller, but in terms of the combat and the pace and the JAYNE KASSYNDER and everything, It gets a lot, and I mean a lot better after the point where the demo ends. I just couldn't figure out where all the bad reviews were coming from until I put some time into the demo-restricted version, and I don't think it does a good job of showing just how fun the game can be at all.

Just tested out with Anjali on hardcore and the regular Lescanzi swordsmen. The very first ones you see in the house, when you are Level 4, have 50-54HP; after you level up reaching the chapterhouse, they appear to have 80-100hp. Didn't see if they were doing any more damage. So there is a change, though it could be automatic level scaling or just manual encounter design.

If it is level scaling, it really depends on how nonlinear the full game is. e.g. in the demo it doesn't matter because everyone will be level 5 at the same point, but in the full game, we know that there are additional areas and quests near Raven's Rill - so for example, can you do other quests and come back to fight Vera the witch, or will she be level scaled? As long as encounters in a given hub/area are set at an appropriate range it shouldn't be noticeable.

I just couldn't figure out where all the bad reviews were coming from until I put some time into the demo-restricted version

sooooo... people actually do write reviews based on demo versions? :lol: I don't believe it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.