Highly stylized, high profile role playing game.

And is 2D!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

BG3 on the Infinity Engine...

It could of course also be a new Pac Man. The original dungeon crawl, slaying enemies and finding powerups that allows you to face your enemies while gathering the loot on the level.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2D Character Animator E-mail

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a 2D character animator to work on a highly stylized, high profile role playing game.

Soooo.. what is it that Obsidz are working on that is highly stylized and high profile?

A Commandos RPG with the beautiful graphics of Commandos 2 and hints of Alpha Protocol in the gameplay?

More seriously, if it is the franchise they couldn't turn down, what franchise could it be?

2D Character Animator E-mail

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a 2D character animator to work on a highly stylized, high profile role playing game.

Soooo.. what is it that Obsidz are working on that is highly stylized and high profile?

Someone's certainly thinking high of themselves. The only high-profile anything that Obsidian has is Fallout.

More seriously, if it is the franchise they couldn't turn down, what franchise could it be?

I'm not familiar with various "portable" devices, anything that is all the rage these days (only thing I can think of that makes good use of 2D art these days)?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't think anyone needs to point out why Purkake's clever jibe doesn't make sense. :)

Aren't we fairly sure already that Obsidian is currently working on, or wanting to work on, a smaller, mobile platform based RPG? And that it may well go down the more traditional CRPG route?

If it's an iPad/iPhone game I just hope they port it on PC/XBLA/PSN as well at some point, since I don't have a proper cell phone to actually play games on :)

Though "high profile" really doesn't sound like it's going to be a cell phone game, unless it's Angry Birds the rpg :)

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

Note that they use "high profile" not "AAA". Could that mean that it's actually the brand being high profile, and the game is some kind of spin-off? Some of the things speculated like Might & Magic and Deus Ex could lend themselves fairly well to a cellphone/handhelds RPG spin-off.

But at this point, it's really just speculation. The only thing I would be reasonably sure is that it's not a triple A, high-budget game.. just can't see it in 2D. Might just be biased though!

I doubt the game itself will be in 2D, I think they just require a 2D animator for animated items or UI elements.

It refers specifically to charachter animations, furthermore this line

This person should be comfortable creating characters in 2D, and have a strong understanding of traditional animation principles

Aside from the actual height of the profile, it's really nice to Obsidian move into the emerging mobile markets as well. I think their talent with story and characters has much more potential there than the current AAA scene. I just hope they don't just go the cheap throwaway cash-in route.

Yeah, having a deep and branching storline is exactly what people want to play on their cell phones.

Seriously, what a waste of time.

I hope something more "substantial" will be announced for E3.

There is a giant market that has room for various different genres, plus there has been deep stuff on handhelds for a good long time.

Sorry, if you are above such things.

Note that they use "high profile" not "AAA". Could that mean that it's actually the brand being high profile, and the game is some kind of spin-off? Some of the things speculated like Might & Magic and Deus Ex could lend themselves fairly well to a cellphone/handhelds RPG spin-off.

But at this point, it's really just speculation. The only thing I would be reasonably sure is that it's not a triple A, high-budget game.. just can't see it in 2D. Might just be biased though!

Aye, but if you look at the other open positions they ain't using AAA in those either. It pretty much comes out only when talking about applicants previous experience in games.

But yeah, at this point, it's really just speculation.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Maybe they have another offer from Square Enix. Could be a Final Fantasy 2D spinoff. Not AAA but fairly high profile.

That is interesting as Square Enix recently canceled another attempt at a western FF spin off.

There are accusations that Square torpedoed that project.

Link

Edited by pmp10

Maybe they have another offer from Square Enix. Could be a Final Fantasy 2D spinoff. Not AAA but fairly high profile.

That is interesting as Square Enix recently canceled another attempt at a western FF spin off.

There are accusations that Square torpedoed that project.

Link

Considering who was hit with the torepo I don't really believe that story 100%. That said its certainly possible.

That was already pre-Eidos acquisition running, no?

Obsidian should just contact Robertson, he did a tremendous job on the Scott Pilgrim game. and I don't think he'd ask a crapton of money for his work either (he looks like a nice guy :facepalm: )

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.