Arcanum

Minchi

"I agree. Obsidian tries to survive by taking jobs that none else will."

This is silly. develoeprs would jump at a chance at doings equels like NWN2, KOTOR2, FO3.5, and DS3. These are all sequels to million + selling games, and are guaranteed to sell. It's pretty much a fact that if CDProject was offered a game like NWN2 they would have dumped TW and done it in a heartbeat.

Obsidian just got NWN2 and KOTOR2 because of Urquhart's connections with BIO as once BIO passed on the sequels to do their own IPs they recommended their buddies. FO3.5 was for obvious reasons - connection to FO. And, DS3 was probably done b/c of Obsidian's rep for successfuls equels based on others' properties.

This idea, btw, that Obsidian is just like Troika is just plain dumb. Outside of their limited co connection to BIS/Interplay and they both make RPGs they have little in common. Might as well call Obsidian BIO 3.0 (and Troika BIO 2.0) since BIO has the same connections. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've been more engrossed with Gold Box era games like Pool of Radiance and no I'm not exaggerating. Troika claimed a lot of the game was nerfed because of the publisher, but then I find out stuff like a brothel was cut from the game. I'm sorry, but being able to visit some hookers like Fallout 2 and Arcanum would not have saved ToEE. I did manage to get to the final boss, but just quit because I was just not having a good time with the game.
foodndrink-2.gif I still have them installed [using DosBox] (along with EOB 1&2) Great games.

I had heard that it was not just the brothel but several things in the town, and perhaps elswhere.

You've probably seen it, but for those that have not... Here is a link to Tim's interview on MattChat, where he talks about the beginnings of Fallout, Temple, and Arcanum, among other things.

I am very impressed with the business model of Obsidian, they are always lining up new projects and they've gone to multiple publishers to stay active. If anything, Troika was the polar opposite.

Game design, I do see the similarities. But I loved the troika stable of games after they were patched, so no problems there.

I am very impressed with the business model of Obsidian

I am impressed but I'm also not impressed. They've managed to keep themselves afloat so far, but if their reputation keeps plummeting (Alpha Protocol was a pretty big stain on their resume... they've partially fixed that with New Vegas, but they've also cemented their reputation as a technically incompetent company, which is a very bad thing for some gamers, that just outright refuse buying Obsidian games at release now) they simply won't manage anymore.

I hope they can put together another couple of successful (and possibly more polished) projects to gain stability, so that they can work in a more serene way, but ultimately, it's all up to them.

(Patiently waiting for Flouride and funcroc to jump at my throat now)

(Alpha Protocol was a pretty big stain on their resume...

Their whole relationship with Sega seemed to be such a disaster, much more so than anything else they've done, that it is hard for me to believe that Sega wasn't a major contributor to the whole mess.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Their whole relationship with Sega seemed to be such a disaster, much more so than anything else they've done, that it is hard for me to believe that Sega wasn't a major contributor to the whole mess.

I wasn't present when they developed it at Obsidian, I don't know who to blame. Plus, despite its flaws, I personally enjoyed the game quite a lot. But you can't deny it's going to be much more prominent in Obsidian's portfolio compared to SEGA's.

I wasn't present when they developed it at Obsidian, I don't know who to blame. Plus, despite its flaws, I personally enjoyed the game quite a lot. But you can't deny it's going to be much more prominent in Obsidian's portfolio compared to SEGA's.

I am willing to admit AP is a black mark, even though I enjoyed it a ton, but reputations have a lot to do with what you did most recently, and the damage of AP was almost immediately wiped out by the release of FO:NV. It was well reviewed and it sold very well. In fact, i'd say Obsidian is in their strongest position ever right now.

Now if DS3 does badly, they lose all that.

DS3 will sell 1mil+. People predicting doom about games are just ignorant. There's absolutelyu no reason to think DS3 will bomb consideriung the success of the first two, Obsidian's history with sequels to popular games, and the publisher SS.

Edited by Volourn

I like Obsidian and most of their games but I have to say that one thing that's immensely tiring to read is the constant bickering about their company policies, whether the company is doing well or not, the talk that oh god OEI better shape up or they'll end up like Troika etc etc. This bickering has been going on ever since people found out that KOTOR2 had a large amount of cut content, and it's the same talk over and over again. They've been going for 8 years now and they are still releasing games. Play the games, enjoy them or not, but let's mourn the loss of Obsidian on the day they actually throw in the towel. Then we can also speculate wildly on what publisher was the evil guy, how crappy OEI programmers were for having all those bugs, how *amaaaaaazing* <insert game here> would've been if not for the cut content.

Btw, Arcanum, MotB and Fallout NV are some of the best RPGs ever and everyone who disagrees can EAT MY SHORTS oh yeah r00fles.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I pretty much agree on that. ^

All this yadda-yadda about Obsidian is really getting annoying by now. Don't want to know how annoying that is to the folks who work at Obsidian. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hey should buy some IPs like Vampire the masquerade or create something new o.o;;; But they are doing a good job keeping the whole group totally up and running. That's a good company to do that but other ones I seen like Capcom closed down too many studios and one of the major programmers just quit and now its they are going down hill after that. It just makes me sad to find out what happen o.o;;;

DS3 will sell 1mil+. People predicting doom about games are just ignorant. There's absolutelyu no reason to think DS3 will bomb consideriung the success of the first two, Obsidian's history with sequels to popular games, and the publisher SS.

I haven't heard too many people saying DS3 will bomb, is that out there somewhere?

I haven't actually heard much either way about DS3, it has been a fairly muted ad campaign, but I assume it is still early.

Actually, maybe it makes good commercial sense to adopt both IP and technology, if your strength is writing content, characters and stories.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is silly. develoeprs would jump at a chance at doings equels like NWN2, KOTOR2, FO3.5, and DS3. These are all sequels to million + selling games, and are guaranteed to sell. It's pretty much a fact that if CDProject was offered a game like NWN2 they would have dumped TW and done it in a heartbeat.

Obsidian just got NWN2 and KOTOR2 because of Urquhart's connections with BIO as once BIO passed on the sequels to do their own IPs they recommended their buddies. FO3.5 was for obvious reasons - connection to FO. And, DS3 was probably done b/c of Obsidian's rep for successfuls equels based on others' properties.

Have to say I agree with Volo. It may be a smart financial move doing a sequel to a high profile game but it also must also be pretty dang cool to work on these big name franchises. Star Wars, D&D & Fallout... who wouldn't want to work on a RPG in one of those settings? IMHO every sequel they've made so far has been superior to the original and I hope that trend continues with Dungeon Siege 3.

"IMHO every sequel they've made so far has been superior to the original"

No.

First you claim to agree with me then the enxt thing you spout is a spit in my face. :lol:

"IMHO every sequel they've made so far has been superior to the original"

No.

First you claim to agree with me then the enxt thing you spout is a spit in my face. :x

You do know what IMHO stands for right? Its a clear indicator that I was expressing my own opinion at that point which you may or may not agree with. :lol:

who wouldn't want to work on a RPG in one of those settings?

I wouldn't. Most creative individuals want to create something new and something own. I'm sure there are some who absolutely enjoy when corporate suits give inane orders and dictate what, when and how something must be done. From financial point of view those orders from above might be solid gold but from creative perspective it's pure poison.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I hardly think the actual content of any of those projects involved uncreative corporate suit dictated work. :lol:

Of course Obs wants to work on their own IPs eventually but it's not like they're forced into making cookie cutter.

yeah, because BIS/FU had to drag BIO kicking and screaming to change their planned their 3rd person real time strategy game into a D7D game. LMAO

You ever think these devs actually enjoy these IPs as fans, and love the diea of working on them as part of their jobs?

Espicially, in regards to D&D since many RPG fans either grew up loving D&D or at least knowing/plenty of it. And, if youa re gonna get into the RPG game devlopment those chances go up so it's logical that they'll be into D&D, V:TM and the like. And, KOTOR well.. It's SW. People tend to like SW.

But, yeah, the devs are 'forced' into making these Ip games... not.

Besdies, I doubt games like BG and PST were somehow 'creative poison' despite being D&D. R00fles!