Risen 2: Dark Waters

• 3 months later...

Well, I guess the release date is closing in. I must say that I've regained my interest in this game after seeing a few more of these gameplay videos. When I read that the game was now divided into zones (islands), I lost a little interest. Then when I read it has auto-aiming, no swimming and a bunch of other things, I lost even more interest. I quite like the Gothic game formula, thank-you-very-much Piranha Bytes!

Anyhow, it still looks like a Gothic game:

http://www.eurogamer...gameplay-videos

Interest back!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, and you just have to love the land of the free:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/esrb-takes-the-red-out-of-the-risen-2-cover.aspx

I am sure that colour change saved many innocent little gamer brains in the good ole US of A.

I played the Beta a month ago, and was completely underwhelmed with it.

Was I the only one who didn't download that leaked beta?

I was turned off by the demo and purchased Risen during a steam sale. I had a lot of fun with it in the end however. I remember running away from an Ogre right into a camp full of those warrior monks. Chaos ensued with the Ogre killing all but 2 of the monks before dying. I was helping the monks with arrows but then they turned on me after the battle so I was forced to kill them.

Later as I was running around I could hear other monks talking about how they hadn't received word from that camp for a while and didn't know what was going on. It was a small thing, but made me that much more vested in the game world.

It was fun to explore places that were much too high level for me and sometimes finding dirty tricks to win anyway. When I first encountered the lizardmen, they were much to hard for me, so I took a running jump from a cliff to the roof of a house and arrowed it from there. Also a few more of those monks that were in the village were killed fighting with the lizardmen.

I really didn't like those monks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe, me too, all done. I have no idea why, but I'm kinda excited. tbh, don't really expect to finish it (seems to be how I roll these days...) but I think I'm going to have fun anyway. Yar!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Downloaded 90%, paused and restarted due to driver update, now mysteriously at 35% having defecated a couple of gigabytes out into the void.

Not a single game release that goes properly, Steam. Please die so I can actually play games.

Installed, started...fiddled with settings forever. Looks nice, especially once I turned off depth of field. I hate blurry backgrounds. Movement felt a little clunky. Some guy wanted 500g to train me in Sneak, which is all I had so I said no for the moment. Then I ran down to a beach, saved game, and logged out...

...because I want to defrag the HDD. Every time I install a couple games via Steam, the HDD goes from like 0-1% fragmented to 12-17%, and it's all from the Steam game files, making things chunk a bit. I farking hate it. Install non-Steam games and the HDD doesn't do that. Steam installers suck, teehee. :lol: One argument for a SSD I suppose. Oh well, won't take long.

Loved the rainy weather sound/effects. My chr. looks suitably grumpy. I need to find more gold!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They sent my code too. Only problem is that I need to wait 9 more hours before I can even download the game. Very annoying since this was my most anticipated RPG. Oh well, I'll pass the time by beating up some kids at school.

Downloaded 90%, paused and restarted due to driver update, now mysteriously at 35% having defecated a couple of gigabytes out into the void.

Not a single game release that goes properly, Steam. Please die so I can actually play games.

If you close Steam before it has finished downloading a game/patch then you shouldn't lose any progress on the download. The % bar will reset though, so if you were downloading a 3gig file, closed steam at 2gigs and then fired steam up again it would carry on downloading that final 1gig but the % bar would be now telling you how much progress you've made on the final gig rather than the whole thing. That said, sometimes downloads do get corrupted and Steam will sometimes autocorrect and redownload bad files, I hope in your case it's the former.

Edited by Serrano

Since I'm a wuss, I was pleased that there is an Easy difficulty. Which I'm going to assume in this game is more akin to the average games "Normal" or even perhaps "Hard" difficulty. :p

insideR2.jpg

The insides! A big map (with a poster on the backside), a making of DVD and soundtrack CD, a huge bunch of really nice art cards in a pretty art box (really nice paper), a talisman (metal and what looks like leather strap), a textile pirate flag and three little stickers. I am happy with my trinkets :)