Risen 2: Dark Waters

I've put one point in everything so far. I can't decide what to develop further. I've read that guns are very good, but I want to use swords. I'll also focus on cunning. I payed the prisoner in the tutorial 500 gold, so I could steal most things you could steal in the tutorial.

Best fight so far was the one with the escaped slaves. That was an intensive fight.

EDIT: Mother of God... I just met a guardian. I didn't last very long.

Edited by Labadal

I've put a fair number of hours in. The combat is a pretty clear step down from Risen, but as usual it gets better once you get more abilities. I've started to like fighting other people, but I still don't understand how to make fighting monsters interesting or fun. Spam melee attacks and use kick if they try to stunlock me has been pretty much my whole strategy. The combat could REALLY use some sort of a dodge move. Also the game explains parry and riposte very poorly, and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I restarted to get lockpicking on the first island, and beating the instructor (Severin?) was not that difficult since I had already gotten used to the combat system. The first time I tried he just kept kicking my arse.

Other than the combat, I've enjoyed the game quite a bit. I like the pirate setting, and dividing the playable area to individual islands seems like a good idea. All the islands so far have been more than large enough. The character system is also a nice change of pace from the usual PB system.

Does she leave you as per script or did you just make her mad? :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does she leave you as per script or did you just make her mad? :lol:

It happened when I was exploring, but it appears I continued the story. It won't be for long before we're back in action. I was annoyed because there are two monsters I can't handle on my own.

Since I'm probably not going to play much for the next day or so, could any of you tell me if you ever get another companion besides Patty? Or is she it? I mean, I like her and all, but variety is always nice.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I played without Patty all the way through, PB games are all about you fighting monsters, when you have partners you generally end up using them to exploit poor monster targeting AI. It was fun fighting 5 giant crabs with Blake though.

I take it you mean all the way thru the 1st island and the game isn't that short. :lol:

I know what you mean tho....companions usually make combat easy in one way or another. Since I tend to be terrible at combat in these games tho, I like having one around when I can. Plus I'm lazy these days...I like exploring more than combat. More relaxing. heheh

I did. You manually buy the DLC, enter in the code you got when buying the main game, and the transaction goes through at $0.00. Then you get a key by email that you enter into steam.

Since I'm probably not going to play much for the next day or so, could any of you tell me if you ever get another companion besides Patty? Or is she it? I mean, I like her and all, but variety is always nice.

There are multiple other companions, but I have only met Patty and another one. You get the second one when you get your own ship. The second one you get depends on if you side with the Inquisition or the Natives.

Thanks, Sisay, good to know.

On a humorous note: omg this had me rofl.

Running around the second island, I think the dividing into islands has its ups and downs. Obviously it limits your free exploration a bit, but each island is big enough that you have plenty of places to explore, including places that are clearly too difficult for you that you could go to anyway. So it actually helps me in that I don't get exploration anxiety and start rushing to systematically map the place out, and I still get to scratch the explore itch. I think later you get a ship and can go freely to and fro, as well.

I keep putting money & XP into cunning, but saving up a bit now so I can learn some sword moves and see if that improves the combat. Had to fight a certain big-mouthed monster before and that took a lot of frantic jumping and running away from its snappy jaws.

Running around the second island, I think the dividing into islands has its ups and downs. Obviously it limits your free exploration a bit, but each island is big enough that you have plenty of places to explore, including places that are clearly too difficult for you that you could go to anyway. So it actually helps me in that I don't get exploration anxiety and start rushing to systematically map the place out, and I still get to scratch the explore itch. I think later you get a ship and can go freely to and fro, as well.

I like the notion of it not being one big land mass, like most games. That gets old too, so even if it does limit exploration a bit it's still maybe a change of pace, as long as each island doesn't feel like a complete duplicate of the others. The one thing I read in a review that disappointed me was that the sailing is never you on the ship - essentially just loading screens. Not very pirate-like.

Feeling better for the moment, might dive in a bit again.

legend of zelda wind waker has lots of sailing, i found it to be very satisfying, would be nice to see that much emphasis on sailing in a pirate game

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

All I've bought are Sneak back in the tutorial, some striped pants, a bandana, a pickaxe, and a cheap ring. Tried to drink some big dude under the table but failed because I couldn't hold onto a bottle or something, so I lost 50g and now he wants 500g to try it again. I sell most of the flowers I pick (are they useful later or something?) and all of that, but even w/exploring around, killing all the crabs and looting 10g chests .... I'm so poor. :(:lol:

The pirates by the river having an F word argument was funny. I'm at the lighthouse now.

Edited by LadyCrimson

You can use flowers to brew potions, but in Risen 2, it seems such crafting skills are only available after the midpoint in the game - same with crafting muskets, guns, etc. - and brewing potions is tied to Voodoo. There are also some rare flowers that give permanent stat boosts. In older PB games, you never want to eat them because they can be brewed for even more powerful permaboosts, but I'm not far enough here to know when/if that happens.

I love the economy because you always need money and you're always so poor. It also makes double-crossing quest givers to pocket an extra 100 gold, or picking gold as a reward instead of some rare item, actually important; that stuff, and the Treasure Map chests filled with precious metals, have been my sugar daddies, though I'm still perpetually short.

Done most of the quests on the second island, going with the Inquisition, exploring a bit now. With the musket I can take on ghouls and such that I couldn't before, so I should be able to look around. Can't wait till I try the Monkey Training skill.

Btw, re: the lockpick quest ... do I need to get all of Largo's clothes back? I thought I only had to get one of them...I got the boots, but the blacksmith dude still won't "believe" me and I can't get a lockpick.

You only need one, I had the boots and hat, mentioned the hat and he believed me, but I think I had the option to mention boots, too. Try wearing / not wearing the items in question, as well.

If you do need another one:

the easiest one that doesn't require any skills is to simply by Largo's shirt off his guard, 150 gold. It's actually a good investment - it's a good shirt you can wear for a while, and later Largo rewards you for returning all of his items.

Tried taking the boots off etc, still no option to mention them. I'll try a 2nd item.