new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

It's not new science.. but damn it, it deserves to be mentioned..

John Paul Stapp, Scientist and Human Bullet

While other so-called heroes run around saving useless things like kittens and

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now there's a man who can rest easy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Let's get back to the "hard" sciences, shall we?

Britons don't wash their hands when leaving the toilet

One in six mobile phones in Britain is contaminated with fecal matter, according to research made public Friday that cited poor hygiene as the cause.

"This study provides more evidence that people still don't wash their hands properly, especially after going to the toilet," Dr. Val Curtis of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said in the report.

In the study, researchers in 12 cities took 390 samples from mobile phones and hands, then analyzed in a laboratory what they had found.

Londoners had the highest incidence of the E. coli bacteria, which are associated with fecal matter, on their hands (28%). The bacteria can result in food poisoning and, in extreme cases, can prove fatal.

Un-f-believable.

I mean that they even make studies on this. :sorcerer::lol: :lol:

Another good reason not to live in London.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And to highlight other matters NASA books charter space from Virgin

I thought that article was going to be about NASA booking a flight for a virgin.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Too lazy to browse more than a handful of pages back and see if it has been mentioned.

Brain Cells Fused with Computer Chip

The line between living organisms and machines has just become a whole lot blurrier. European researchers have developed "neuro-chips" in which living brain cells and silicon circuits are coupled together.

The achievement could one day enable the creation of sophisticated neural prostheses to treat neurological disorders or the development of organic computers that crunch numbers using living neurons.

Found it interesting, amusing and scary at the same time. Sort of like the Cylon organic/machine interface thing, enabling direct contact between organic and mechanical information systems. Time to consider the blue pill? Cyberpunk becoming trivial real world literature?

On a related note, I wonder if organic computers will not only be prone to virus attacks, but also senility. Maybe I should consider a career as computer therapeut for depressed computers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Too lazy to browse more than a handful of pages back and see if it has been mentioned.

Found it interesting, amusing and scary at the same time. Sort of like the Cylon organic/machine interface thing, enabling direct contact between organic and mechanical information systems. Time to consider the blue pill? Cyberpunk becoming trivial real world literature?

On a related note, I wonder if organic computers will not only be prone to virus attacks, but also senility. Maybe I should consider a career as computer therapeut for depressed computers.

Posted March 2006 with no news since.

I wouldn't expect an effective mind-machine interface anytime soon.

Define 'no news'

Your knowledge of the combined works and publications on the subject is astounding (and frankly not credible).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Define 'no news'

Your knowledge of the combined works and publications on the subject is astounding (and frankly not credible).

Pff, that probably sounded a bit harsh(er than intended). Rather than editing, just clarifying that it is an objection to the sweeping generalisation of 'no news' on the research area (or whatever the 'no news' is supposed to cover)

'm fatigue irritated, but it occurs to me that a lot of this academic research is unfocussed and unbelievably slow. At least compared with research inside companies.

Also, while academic researchers invent ideas, real technological leaps come when those concpets are married to manufacturing kno-whow so that novel technologies can be made at a cheap enough price to transcend performance s-curves.

Discuss, or ignore, too tired to choose. :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

OMFG!

That would make for a cool party trick :sorcerer:

I wouldn't expect an effective mind-machine interface anytime soon.

I disagree. We already have a variety of brain implants on the market (all for medical purposes, but their variety of purpose should signal their commercial versatility beyond health purposes). These are called brain pacemakers.

We also have bionic eyes soon to be on the market which are digital video camera glasses connected to to a computer that sits in the shirt pocket and sends the processed versions of the images the camera picks up to an implant in the vision centres of the brain which can receive wireless signals.

We've also decoded brain signals and converted them into real images using computer software.

Is it really such a stretch to imagine that in the next few decades connections between these various developments will occur? E.g. brain implant as above which communicates with a pair of bionic eyes. The bionic eyes could analyse incoming data to AND from the implant, process it and display it "on screen".

Heck, bionic eyes don't even need to process data coming FROM the implant to provide an effective mind-machine interface (insofar as our current GUI interface with computers is effective): the bionic eyes already come with processing capacity, and this could be extended to include computer vision intelligence algorithms for analysing the image and then displaying processed data highlighting meaningful information about the image on screen in the eye. And something like a combination of modified cochlear implants and sound processing algorithms could also be incorporated into this bionic eye to provide sound processing to complement hearing (while opening up the opportunity of voice commands to control and manipulate the interface).

Mind-machine interfaces are going to be here relatively quickly. And they'll be useful - how useful depends on exactly what your expectation of a mind-machine interface is. But imagine the above described implant combination combined with wireless access to the Internet. Possibilities expand rapidly.

And then, there's this.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lie. Evolution doesn't exist. God created the Earth in seven days for humans to enjoy and destroy.

Awesome. How much does it cost to hire a circular saw and a continuously looped tape of There Goes the Neighbourhood by Bodycount?

-Elwood Blues

Faster-than-light neutrino experiment to be run again

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern (the home of the Large Hadron Collider) in Geneva toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away in Italy seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second earlier than light would have.

In short, the guys at the LHC project, having fun flinging particles left and right (and sometimes in circles), still have no clue why something appeared at the target ahead of schedule (like, it was supposed to appear at the speed of light).

Now they are trying to restructure the experiment and see if a) it re-occurs and b) doesn't destroy the universe in the process.

That's a lie. Evolution doesn't exist. God created the Earth in seven days for humans to enjoy and destroy.

Awesome. How much does it cost to hire a circular saw and a continuously looped tape of There Goes the Neighbourhood by Bodycount?

Actually, gravity doesn't exist either. It is just an illusion properly explained by God's will. How else do you account for the way angels fly?

HAL isnt radiation proof, it just helps the poor bastard wearing the 132 lb tungsten vest. This is the same robot they developed to help the old and infirm.

This new type of HAL robot suit supports the weight of protective clothing made of tungsten and enables the wearer to work on the site without feeling the burden,"...

HAL isnt radiation proof, it just helps the poor bastard wearing the 132 lb tungsten vest.

As with many prototype products you could argue that they're really just a collection of different successful products used at the same time. The very logical next step and commercial product here is a HAL suit with a built in radiation vest.

After all, this new version of HAL was altered by Cyberdyne solely to accommodate radiation vests.

Original AFP article which others seem to be citing (hosted here by PhysOrg): http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-11-japan-...ot-nuclear.html