Piracy

Mamoulian War

Or if someone copied a book I wrote.

by "copied" you mean didn't buy it? :* because as far as writers go (the real ones), they don't care, the more people read it the better, right? or am I alone in this?

We sure as hell DO care. It means money out of my pocket, and copying, scanning or xeroxing any copyright-protected book is illegal.

Yeah the thing is you've got artists like Di who see it as stealing, then you've got other artists like Cory Doctorow, Trent Reznor, etc who send the opposite message and encourage the free proliferation of their works and often pose economic or social reasons as their rational.

Interestingly, it is those people who are probably onto something according to a study by the Dutch government:

http://www.marketingvox.com/study-file-sha...ng-term-042837/

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/01/du...is-positive.ars

"Curiously, freeloaders consume paid content in the same amounts as nondownloaders—for games, freeloaders even buy more than non-downloaders."

So the artistic community is certainly not united on the matter.

Edited by Krezack

Yeah the thing is you've got artists like Di who see it as stealing, then you've got other artists like Cory Doctorow, Trent Reznor, etc who send the opposite message and encourage the free proliferation of their works and often pose economic or social reasons as their rational.

Interestingly, it is those people who are probably onto something: http://www.marketingvox.com/study-file-sha...ng-term-042837/

The publishing community is quite united. The Authors Guild sued Google, and got massive reparations for books they offered illegally online. And I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find any game developer on the planet who loves piracy, because they just want to, like, have more peeps enjoy the product they've created even if they can't pay for it.

Edited by ~Di

"Curiously, freeloaders consume paid content in the same amounts as nondownloaders

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And of course, you can occasionally keep coming to the library to update your 'borrowed' copy and play multiplayer too, amirite? :*

Honestly, there's little justification (if there's any) for piracy right now. Especially since, as long as you know where to get games and you can bear waiting a little bit, you can get them dirt cheap. Not to mention that games are a luxury. That said, I wouldn't think anything bad about someone that really did download games to try them and then either deleted them or bought them (I have met many people that do that with music). I have.. yet to meet someone that does.

Interestingly, it is those people who are probably onto something: http://www.marketingvox.com/study-file-sha...ng-term-042837/

The publishing community is quite united. The Authors Guild sued Google, and got massive reparations for books they offered illegally online. And I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find any game developer on the planet who loves piracy, because they just want to, like, have more peeps enjoy the product they've created even if they can't pay for it.

Of course the publishers are quite united, because they live out of another people creative work :* publishers != authors... here is some prime example how a free to download thing actually makes more money, than signing in with a publisher...

http://questioncopyright.org/sita-distribtion-numbers

if you can't be arsed to read it here is the summary...

Q. So how much money did you personally make releasing a Free film under an open ShareAlike license?

A. In the film's first year, I got about $132,000. I've received more since then.

Q. How much would you have made had the movie not been Free?

A. When I was still trying to sell conventional monopoly rights to distributors in 2008, the highest advance I was offered was $20,000; I was told by one reputable distributor that the most I could expect in my wildest dreams to make in a 10-year contract was $50,000, and more realistically I could expect about $25,000.

EDIT: adding in one more link which is worth to see, (just in case that you have missed it in the article :p) http://sitasingstheblues.com/license.html#total-compliance

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

And one very interesting link from one of the Indie studios, who participated on the Humble Indie Bundle (Wildfire Games)...

One of the most realistic views, on what's happening, from inside the industry, which i have ever read...

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13065

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The influence that piracy has on lost sales can not even be proven to begin with. Would person X have bought product Y at all to begin with if he didn't downloaded it? I sure do not know. Piracy is a side effect of technology being ahead of the business models that companies use. The only way is for companies to adapt (spotify) or to declare bankrupcty.

What the question is however, is how they should be punished. The current law makes them worse than 2nd degree murder, rape and arson, and actually stealing a box of DVDs from a store. This of course, is so excessive that it is not funny, and most people can smell the b-crap. The way it is now, pirates and crackers will be considered to be rebels against a corrupt system until it is changed. But again, the question is what is the proper measure?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Also a good source for backup copies in case a disk explodes.

I remember buying a copy of the PC port of Gears of War on a CD, I beat the game in 1 afternoon and naturally wanted to try it online. but then my system got corrupted and I had to wipe everything off the hard drive. so I tried to reinstall GoW. and it wouldn't let me. on any other system the PC would just reject the CD.

now, it might have been possible to download another version with my CD-key directly from the publisher, I never got to trying. but the idea of making the installation 1-time-only just blew my mind. did I download a cracked copy of the game afterwards? yes I did. because it seemed like the easiest solution. was it wrong? I don't think so.

P.S: the Wildfire Games post is right on the money.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But there are a lot of non-piracy routes to doing this. Demo's, rentals, preview videos

preview videos? right.

and aren't rentals essentially the same thing as piracy? or does the publisher get a cut every time I rent their game from some store? :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But there are a lot of non-piracy routes to doing this. Demo's, rentals, preview videos and all that are legal ways to check them out.

Demos ? uh ok. Rentals for PC games is a new one to me, and as for preview videos...you like the taste of manure ?

However one useful thing to have is consumerist friends, you can rely on them to buy mindlessly and then glean any input from them. Most useful thing I've come across so far.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Want some coverage and sales? Write an article how piracy is totally not killing PC gaming and wait until people pick it up and spread it everywhere :thumbsup:

It's not a realistic opinion either.

Plus indie development and multi-million tripple-A development are a world apart.

While he mentions Blizzards success, because they make quality software that runs on a wide range of machines, that doesn't change the fact that Starcraft 2 has been pirated in the same kinds of numbers that its sold, it also doesn't touch on any analysis of the fact that a majority of Blizzard's success has been due to the fact that they integrate the experience with DRM especially when it comes to addictive multiplayer functionality, just look at WoW, or Diablo, hell anything Blizzard has made in years. They all have DRM components when it comes to multiplayer.

So if we accept the author as correct, then DRM also cannot be a problem if the product is percieved to be of a particular level in regards to quality.

I could go on, but frankly the author is serving himself, and not actually supplying an unbias view on how piracy effects the industry.

Mamoulian War, a pirate? I don't know... I lean towards it being very likely though :shifty:.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

piracy is about selfishness and noit caring for other people.

this is true to an extent. but it doesn't change the fact that piracy isn't that big a deal, and it's certainly not theft. :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

But there are a lot of non-piracy routes to doing this. Demo's, rentals, preview videos and all that are legal ways to check them out.

Demos ? uh ok. Rentals for PC games is a new one to me, and as for preview videos...you like the taste of manure ?

However one useful thing to have is consumerist friends, you can rely on them to buy mindlessly and then glean any input from them. Most useful thing I've come across so far.

What's wrong with video previews?