Dragon Age 2

Gorth

dakkon didnt wear robes either. he had a samurai sword too.

ignus... well... certainly not the pointy hat type either.

bloodmage hawk is almost cool, but instead comes across as a lil goofy because of that shoulder armor... would look way better without that piece

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

bloodmage hawk is almost cool, but instead comes across as a lil goofy because of that shoulder armor... would look way better without that piece

He'd look far better if he wasn't in that stupid bear hug pose, I quite like some of the things I'm seeing in DA2 but the news that we're losing strategic cam is a bit of a kick, it suggests to me that strategy isn't going to be so prominent this time around, I'd been ignoring the comments that this is Dragon Effect 2 but it really is looking that way, shame.

If they can improve on Dragon Age's story (characters were pretty cool but the overarching plot was meh) whilst not totally nerfing the strategy aspect I'll buy it, reserving judgement for now.

In the gameplay vids I've seen, it's not that prominant. I think the bloodmage Hawke is the best looking part of the game so far. I've even gotten used to the nutella across the nose.

He'd look far better if he wasn't in that stupid bear hug pose, I quite like some of the things I'm seeing in DA2 but the news that we're losing strategic cam is a bit of a kick, it suggests to me that strategy isn't going to be so prominent this time around, I'd been ignoring the comments that this is Dragon Effect 2 but it really is looking that way, shame.

The PC camera can be zoomed out and they've talked about giving us a free cam when paused. Instead of looking down, it always remains at an angle though.

As I understand it, they haven't finalized the PC camera yet.

If they can improve on Dragon Age's story (characters were pretty cool but the overarching plot was meh) whilst not totally nerfing the strategy aspect I'll buy it, reserving judgement for now.

At this point, I'm more interested in the story and companions than the mechanics. I have no idea what the central conflict is, however, which I find worrisome.

In ME, I know it's Reapers! With sides of Saren+Geth and Harvesters.

In DA:O, I knew it was the Blight and Loghain.

DA2? Not a word.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

You might cite the exceptions, but one stroll in the mages' tower in DA pretty much tells the whole story on how mages look in the game. ...And the bloodmage Hawke looks just as goofy anyhow. No robes, but ridiculously large stylized armor pieces that don't even cover vital areas? It just looks stupid. I mean, I don't mind cloaks and hoods and other looks, but the art work in games today jsut boggles my mind. It's the animeification of games today that I find the most irritating. Over sized armor and weapons so ludicrous they defy any pretext of functionality.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

robes and staves. some guy wearing a dress and leaning on a stick does not scream Manly. *$#@ tolkien... the notion that mages should be crotchety old men who wear robes beyond their bathroom door, AND while adventuring, is an unfortunate legacy o' the hack with the horrible prose style.

don't blame the poof factor on game developers... blame on tolkien, and those who loves tolkien.

Gromnir wants to play a mage that can find a freaking pair of pants.... altering geography would be nice, but gots 0 to do with power.

HA! Good Fun!

Did Tolkien really start that? I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that very little of Tolkien's mythos was original.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Did Tolkien really start that? I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that very little of Tolkien's mythos was original.

I don't pretend to be able to read Tolkiens mind, but wouldn't be surprised if his "wizards" were influenced by the contemporary (of his time) perception of Druids. I.e. old wise men in flowing robes, wielding wooden staffs and mystical powers. Seems like Bioware has done a 180 flip and gone from Peter Jacksons Tolkien interpretation to Anime style (like Cant suggested). Whether that is a pro or a con depends on how you feel about Anime I suppose.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

At this point, I'm more interested in the story and companions than the mechanics. I have no idea what the central conflict is, however, which I find worrisome.

In ME, I know it's Reapers! With sides of Saren+Geth and Harvesters.

In DA:O, I knew it was the Blight and Loghain.

DA2? Not a word.

The trailers and interviews seem to hint that

Flemeth and the great change will be the central conflict in DA2.

The Tolkien's wizard seem more in touch it the general archetype of the wizard that had been popularized by ancient myths. Gandalf is a mentor/hermit figure, which kinds of puts him at the same level as Merlin from the Arthurian myth. Maybe that was the inspiration, seeing as Tolkien borrowed a lot his myths from Anglo and Nordic mythology.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm also convinced that Merlin is the inspiration for Gandalf. And Merlin is of course inspired from the druids, so you are both right.

I would really appreciate to see armors and weapons that reflect some kind of practical sense. I mean, for a dinner, you can wear inpractical suits, but when you have to fight, you would avoid having a 50 cm shoulder protection with spikes, just to avoid being wounded by your own armor or even just unbalanced by the lack of symmetry.

We also have to remember that mages in Tolkien texts are more like demigods then common cannonfodder. Why would they need armor? And they wear robes (like people have already said) because they strongly influenced by ancent druids and mystics. No idea why they wore robes, comfort maybe? :)

After the firearms became more popular in the real life and kinetic energy of the tiny lead ball was more then enough to pierce even the strongest armor, we got really silly uniforms. My personal hatered is reserved for the Croatian mercenaries around the time of the thirty years war.

329px-Origin_NeckTie.JPG

Yes, those guys are the reason why we still wear noose around our necks. Croat -> Cravat -> Kravaatti (fin).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

i had always been told that gandalf was inspired primarily by odin? wide pointy hat, robes, and a staff... he's just missing the eyepatch and the crows right?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i had always been told that gandalf was inspired primarily by odin? wide pointy hat, robes, and a staff... he's just missing the eyepatch and the crows right?

Odin usually comes as the All-knowing Sky Father rather than the mage. The reference probably comes from Gandalf's names Olorin and Stormcrow, and mostly visually being the same image as Odin the Wanderer (even acknowledged by Tolkien himself) but his character comes across as a mentor to both Frodo and Bilbo. Just like Merlin was to Arthur.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

"Stormcrow" was an insult used only by Wormtongue in the Two Towers.

Many are my names in many countries', he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Thark

village_idiot.gif

Odin usually comes as the All-knowing Sky Father rather than the mage. The reference probably comes from Gandalf's names Olorin and Stormcrow, and mostly visually being the same image as Odin the Wanderer (even acknowledged by Tolkien himself) but his character comes across as a mentor to both Frodo and Bilbo. Just like Merlin was to Arthur.

ok yeah its the image part i'm remembering, i agree that personality wise and role wise i agree gandalf fits in better as a merlin type, though i dont remember how much mentoring odin did for the other characters in that mythology

I do not remember Tolkien mentioning much about Kalevala, except for borrowing old finnish when creating the elvish language.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Stormcrow" was an insult used only by Wormtongue in the Two Towers.

Many are my names in many countries', he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Thark

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Seems like Bioware has done a 180 flip and gone from Peter Jacksons Tolkien interpretation to Anime style (like Cant suggested).

I see very little anime influence. If anything, it has a very 1990s American superhero comic feel mixed with 300.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't understand why Tolkien was even dragged into this. It's D&D that started the image of the wimpy mage in robes that hurls down fire & lightning on enemies. The typical image of magic in fantasy is completely alien to Tolkien... since Arda was supposed to be Earth in a forgotten, mythical age.

Gandalf is even weary of using his magic to light his staff in the book, because this might reveal himself to enemies. The only open use of his magic was in the fight with the Balrog.

The only example of somebody using magic freely & openly, would be L

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I tend to associate oversized gear and armor spiked with over the top fins and decorations with anime, but I suppose it's a trend that transcends anime. I see it also in Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40. WoW is rife with over the top kit. That's one of the things I enjoy about New Vegas. There doesn't tend to be over the top armor, even the stylized version of Roman armor and the Fiend garb appears to be functional in that it wouldn't provide substantial hindrance to the wearer. The things that people can and have used to make armor look fierce doesn't impede the function, such as feather or fangs or skins. The Legion armor looks kind of silly, but it's believable and the NCR body armor serves a real purpose.

Now, because of the Dragon Age setting, I can see a lot of personality in armor because a lot of the characters would be forced to provide their own weapons and armor. The uniforms would be less constrained. In those cases, using a variety of means and materials to tinker with the armor make more sense. Same with the bandit armor in Fallout. Some forces would have stricter requirements, but there's always some way for a determined soldier to differentiate his armor, weapons, and other gear. That's true even today, although getting too far out could draw unwanted attention.

That whole argument goes beyond how the devs depict mages. I don't care how someone else decides to garb his character. What I want is to avoid the tendency to have the best gear in the game to look like a shopping trip to Idiot Island fashions.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

*tries to picture Cant in a bikini chainmail...*