Dragon Age 2

Gorth

I was saying that that's what DA2 needs (and honestly, most other fantasy games), a unique art style.

Is there a specific game that shares DA2's art style though? You said "pick any random" but I know you don't mean that (since I used The Witcher). I am actually unaware of one.

I don't see DA2 significantly different from Oblivion type fantasy graphics apart from the strange color palette and a heavy anime influence. In fact I'd even go so far as to say that it heavily resembles the standard fantasy JRPG, perhaps even more so than it does the western type fantasy.

Take it like this:

All the games I listed use their art style to convey a particular mood. That's really what makes them "unique" - good integration with gameplay and storyline.

Disciples II = dark, melancholic, disturbing

Shadow of the Colossus = nostalgic, fairy tale, sad

Witcher = grim, depressing, filthiness

Torment = outlandish, alien, eccentric

What does DA2 convey, just from looking at it.

What did DAO try to convey? In my eyes, nothing. It was supposed to be "grim and dark", but really ended up being muddy to look at and out of sync with the storyline. There was no "mood" you could put your finger on.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"1. Disciples II

2. Shadow of the Colossus

3. Planescape Torment

4. Final Fantasy X

5. Myth 2 (modest but convincing)

6. Witcher

7. Temple of Elemental Evil (completely generic, but pleasing on the eyes)

8. Gothic 2 (in its own rough way)"

HAHAHA L0LZ This list is your best examples? And, it gets worst with #7. HAHAHAHAHA!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

rpg games with good/interesting fantasy art design?

imo:

morrowind

planescape torment

final fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, 12

diablo 1

guild wars

i'm sure there are many many others

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Final Fantasy IX was very good in terms of design. It was unique even for a FF game. others - not so much. more like recycled ideas from the past. Amano's losing his grip.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

7 and 8 definitely feel a bit like retreads/recreations of 6, but still look fantastic in their own ways, so I included them. 12 i just kinda threw on there without thinking much about it cause I liked that there was a lot of arid desert-like areas in it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The unknown Cryo adventure game Salammbo has the best fantasy art design of all time.

As for RPGs, Morrowind's the best by far. I'm also quite fond of the Witcher & Drakensang, whose art styles are perfectly antipodal, i.e. grim & dreary vs whimsical & fairy-tale like.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

How is arid desert interesting?

i don't know man, it just was. which is why it stuck out to me. "this desert should be really boring, but its not!"

*shrug*

*shurg*

"7 and 8 definitely feel a bit like retreads/recreations of 6"

O RLY? 8 is nothing like 5 or 7 in terms of grahpcs, artwork, and the like. FF8 iis the awesomness of art design.

The unknown Cryo adventure game Salammbo has the best fantasy art design of all time.

heh, I used to confuse this game with Torment all the time when looking at the screenshots :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"Character design in FF8 was as cliche as any other FF. FF9 and FF10 are more unique."

No.

"Do you put an effort to appear as a retard or does it come naturally?"

Please tell us how unique and special TOEE artwork and graphics are again. Thanks.

"Character design in FF8 was as cliche as any other FF. FF9 and FF10 are more unique."

No.

Yes.

*Sigh*

...can't believe people are actually discussing which art is "better". You would think this was the internet or something.

Besides, people keep forgetting the greatest sandbox grand strategy/crpg of all times: "Lords of Midnight" which had it's own unique art style.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Besides, people keep forgetting the greatest sandbox grand strategy/crpg of all times: "Lords of Midnight" which had it's own unique art style.

Yep, it was just a black screen in every direction. Very art nouveau. People put hundreds of hours into it, mostly because they couldn't see the exit button.

Edited by Hurlshot

That's basically how he responds everytime someone says anything. I just played along.

Art is important, but not being generic isn't as easy as everyone thinks. And it is certainly not a deal breaker for me. My favorite art in a game? Final Fantasy Tactics.

Yep, it was just a black screen in every direction. Very art nouveau. People put hundreds of hours into it, mostly because they couldn't see the exit button.

Black screen? :)

Ingame screenshot:

10493359.jpg

If anything, it was very white and blue.

Hundreds of hours?... don't be silly, people put thousands of hours into it :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Boo, I definitely would not say DAO had good art style.

DA2's looks unique to me. I could break down individual components of it and say "this looks to be from here, and that looks to be from something else" but the synergy of it looks unique.

Though we haven't seen much aside from the opening area.