Dragon Age 2

Gorth

please, Volo, show us some generosity and post one pic of a non-generic fantasy art

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Except thata rt is generic. It's typical fantasy. It's good but nothing special.

Except that its Frazetta who defined much of fantasy in general. Most of the artist who came afterwards strived to copy his ideas. So much for your knowledge of fantasy illustrators.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Except thata rt is generic. It's typical fantasy. It's good but nothing special.

Except that its Frazetta who defined much of fantasy in general. Most of what came after were copycats. So much for your knowledge of fantasy illustrators

Which is exactly why your post didn't make sense. Dragon Age 2 art is pretty obviously inspired by Frazetta's work too.

And sometimes.. all you want is generic, fun, fantasy.... There's no need to make something.. different and other..purely for the purpose of being different...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Except that its Frazetta who defined much of fantasy in general. Most of what came after were copycats. So much for your knowledge of fantasy illustrators

Which is exactly why your post didn't make sense. Dragon Age 2 art is pretty obviously inspired by Frazetta's work too.

I don't know where you see that. Most of Frazetta's work is Conan like low key fantasy. Definitely not the high fantasy anime influenced stuff of DA2. In the long run it might take some notes from Frazetta but it has no specific visual identity of its own, unlike his work which is instantly recognizable.

The man might have invented a set of ideas that became generic but his work isn't.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

x2. If you want to call for something non-generic, posting the primogenitor of what is generic now does not your point make.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I thought that was clear. The man had a particular, instantly recognizable vision.

Ripping off his work in a bland, straightforward manner, by lesser able individuals to create today's generic fantasy does not make his work generic - but their interpretation of it.

Homeworld is an example of a good interpretation of a famous SF illustrator. Relic took notes from Foss and at the same time put enough of their own artistry in it to craft a unique and recognizable game.

logosig2.jpg

"Except that its Frazetta who defined much of fantasy in general. Most of the artist who came afterwards strived to copy his ideas. So much for your knowledge of fantasy illustrators. "

I don't give a crap about fantasy illustrators. I commented on the pics themselevs. the who is irrelevant to me. That is reserved for super art geeks.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The problem Boo, is that I believe the art style could have been anything, and you'd still call it generic (an overused word today IMO).

They said one of their goals was a more unique art style. What other games out there share the same art style? Quantify your answers preferably.

@Maria

I was thinking of something plausible in a video game. As much as I like all sorts of fantasy art, the fact is that Torment was as far as a developer was going to go, and that was a freak occurrence in itself.

@Thorton AP

Any other random RPG you could pick. I'd even say that in the few ways DA differs, its even worse than the usual (drab color palette, overuse of certain colors)

The only real difference I see that DA2 has from "Two Worlds" or "Oblivion" is in the colors, and a larger influence of anime.

The Witcher would be a relatively recent game with a well done visual design. One that at least conveys a particular atmosphere.

At the very least, that's what I'd like to see in DA2. DAO did not have that. DA2 doesn't look all that different.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Any other random RPG you could pick.

So DA2 looks like The Witcher? Or Final Fantasy?

How can a game possibly look like every other RPG, unless you're indicating that the art style for a game like The Witcher is identical to all other RPGs (and hence, games like DAO and DA2).

Any other random RPG you could pick. I'd even say that in the few ways DA differs, its even worse than the usual (drab color palette, overuse of certain colors)

Is there any way you can quantify this more? I wouldn't say that DA2 looks much like DAO at all, and that's just from the little glimpses that we've seen of DA2.

Edited by Thorton_AP

I'm guessing the white-haired Chantry chick that's interrogating the dwarf is going to be the Miranda of DA2?

AFAIK, she's not supposed to be a JNPC, which is why the dwarf dude is doing some of the narrating. Not sure, though.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't know where you see that. Most of Frazetta's work is Conan like low key fantasy. Definitely not the high fantasy anime influenced stuff of DA2. In the long run it might take some notes from Frazetta but it has no specific visual identity of its own, unlike his work which is instantly recognizable.

The man might have invented a set of ideas that became generic but his work isn't.

Err...not sure where you got that Frazetta's work is all low key fantasy. I used to have a Frazetta painting on my wall of a wizard summoning a demon. Besides the Conan stuff he did a lot of horror/fantasy covers with all sorts of monsters and things (and he did science fantasy paintings as well).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Most is not a synonym for all. Frazetta did all sorts of stuff, but what he's best known for is his vision of swords and sorcery. Regardless, the point was not in his ideas but that his work is recognizable and well above the tons of average fantasy fare that followed.

I was saying that that's what DA2 needs (and honestly, most other fantasy games), a unique art style.

Of course, faced with the obvious and total mediocrity of DAO's art, they're promising something else this time around. (although to be honest, NWN and its expansions were completely mediocre in this regard as well). BGII would probably have been as well if it wasn't for the hand painted 2D graphics, or rather, if it was done with early 3d tech. *

I'm not seeing it in the gameplay videos so far, because like most Bioware promises, there is no grounding in reality once you peel away the PR drivel.

*Jade Empire was the sole exception. I hated the game but it was visually well designed.

Other examples of good visual design:

1. Disciples II

2. Shadow of the Colossus

3. Planescape Torment

4. Final Fantasy X

5. Myth 2 (modest but convincing)

6. Witcher

7. Temple of Elemental Evil (completely generic, but pleasing on the eyes)

8. Gothic 2 (in its own rough way)

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Most is not a synonym for all. Frazetta did all sorts of stuff, but what he's best known for is his vision of swords and sorcery. Regardless, the point was not in his ideas but that his work is recognizable and well above the tons of average fantasy fare that followed.

I was saying that that's what DA2 needs (and honestly, most other fantasy games), a unique art style.

Of course, faced with the obvious and total mediocrity of DAO's art, they're promising something else this time around. (although to be honest, NWN and its expansions were completely mediocre in this regard as well). BGII would probably have been as well if it wasn't for the hand painted 2D graphics, or rather, if it was done with early 3d tech. *

I'm not seeing it in the gameplay videos so far, because like most Bioware promises, there is no grounding in reality once you peel away the PR drivel.

*Jade Empire was the sole exception. I hated the game but it was visually well designed.

I wasn't meaning all to be all inclusive either. Must remember not to type in slangisms ("...and he was all up in my face, and I was like his stuff ain't all that and everybody was all like 'he went there' ")

I still wouldn't say Frazetta is best know for non-magical fantasy stuff, but meh...

What I've seen from DA2's art style isn't negative to my mind. Mind you I tend to have a high tolerance for weak graphical style if the gameplay is good, so maybe I'm not the best judge of things.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is there a specific game that shares DA2's art style though? You said "pick any random" but I know you don't mean that (since I used The Witcher). I am actually unaware of one.