What you did today

Gorth

Props to Nepenthe on this. I have to say as I get older and see relationships failing like autumn leaves the more I think that love is as much fixed in time as it is to a physical person. Love fades, and I do sometimes wonder if seeing is pale and wither would be worse than just losing it.

On the other hand losing because some ****ing **** decides it would be funny to mess with the love of my life chemically... I'm proud of being pretty civilised when it comes to rage, but if someone did that to either of the women I've loved I'd probably kill them. Definitely if they'd done it to the first one. :- I'm not advocating this, just making an observation.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have decided to learn how to play the guitar. I am trying to find a nice deal on a consignment electric guitar and an amp, nothing too fancy, there are a lot of ones out there for about $100. Then I'm going to take a group class in a couple weeks. I'm pretty excited about it.

I have decided to learn how to play the guitar. I am trying to find a nice deal on a consignment electric guitar and an amp, nothing too fancy, there are a lot of ones out there for about $100. Then I'm going to take a group class in a couple weeks. I'm pretty excited about it.

Cool stuff Hurlshot. Just remember, your fingers are going to hurt a lot. That's not a sign you should stop playing though, the more you abuse them the tougher they'll get and then you'll find they suddenly no longer hurt.

Cool stuff Hurlshot. Just remember, your fingers are going to hurt a lot. That's not a sign you should stop playing though, the more you abuse them the tougher they'll get and then you'll find they suddenly no longer hurt.

That's what I've heard, although I heard electrical is not as hard on the fingers as acoustic. I also heard classical guitars (because of nylon strings or something?) are easier too, but my goal is electric so I figure no need to start on something different.

That's what I've heard, although I heard electrical is not as hard on the fingers as acoustic. I also heard classical guitars (because of nylon strings or something?) are easier too, but my goal is electric so I figure no need to start on something different.

Ideally, it's probably best to start on an acoustic because generally speaking they're harder to learn on, making the transition to electric seem pretty easy, but there's nothing wrong with starting on an electric.

The best advice I can give you, as simple as it sounds, is not to give up. Every now and then (it happens more often when you're just starting out) you'll come across something that just seems impossible. For myself, I had a hard time learning barre chords. You'll find yourself saying "my fingers just won't move fast enough" or something along those lines, but the trick is to do everything very slowly, and very accurately. Anyone can build up enough dexterity to play the guitar, it may just take some longer than others.

And train your pinky fingers from the start.

I cannot stress this enough. People go "man, I can do all these parts with the other fingers and then it's not as painful!"

But then you get to that one bit that DOES require the pinky finger, and you will want to play that your usual speed and skill because otherwise it seems boring... and then you will feel the strain all the way up to your shoulders. :shifty:

Oh yeah, nearly forgot. I made my 'move' on my physio by casually mentioning I'm going to be singing for charity next month. She didn't go for the obvious opportunity to jump in. Nevertheless I'm nothing if not pig headed so I'll mention it again next session I get.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

i got a job offer today

on the phone at work as per normal, and was chatting to some bloke when he just blurted out that he was going to put me on speaker phone so the marketing guys could hear me.

apparently i've spoken to him a few times and he's always thought i had the right sort of voice to do some of their promo and tv work

so he gave me an email address and told me to think about it

rather out of the blue, but i might go for it :x

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Let me guess, the Warehouse voiceover dude died?

Go for it, sounds awesome for something out of nothing.

Let me guess, the Warehouse voiceover dude died?

Go for it, sounds awesome for something out of nothing.

haha nah it's for some car company

apparently they do a morning show on C4 or something?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Ah, one of those. Still, it's no small thing to hear your voice on C4... Mediaworks are going through a major revamp of that channel and it might well become a big player, as well.

So yeah... I'm pretty much done with college apps. Sent in my ED last night, and now I just wait... And play craptons of games...

Also, Raithe, that sounds frickin' horrendous. Sorry man.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I've been house shopping the past few weeks. It's been an interesting experience. In all I've probably checked out more than a dozen houses. Today, I viewed what seems to be a keeper. Now I just have to figure out how to afford it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

...by casually mentioning I'm going to be singing for charity next month.

That's your pick-up line?! Better start seducing that right hand of yours because you and it are going to have many lonely nights together.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...by casually mentioning I'm going to be singing for charity next month.

That's your pick-up line?! Better start seducing that right hand of yours because you and it are going to have many lonely nights together.

Unlike in the land of the midnight sun you can't just commence feeling a lady up and expect to succeed.

-Elwood Blues

There's always the : "You've helped me work my body.. now how can I help work yours?" approach.... :x

For the high note start to the day...some mysterious person (otherwise known as my sister) accidentally shut the dog in the front room all night.. so there are now two puddles that needed cleaning.... and said canine has reverted to extremely nervous and quiet behaviour...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Unlike in the land of the midnight sun you can't just commence feeling a lady up and expect to succeed.

Don't diss it until you've tried it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ideally, it's probably best to start on an acoustic because generally speaking they're harder to learn on, making the transition to electric seem pretty easy, but there's nothing wrong with starting on an electric.

The best advice I can give you, as simple as it sounds, is not to give up. Every now and then (it happens more often when you're just starting out) you'll come across something that just seems impossible. For myself, I had a hard time learning barre chords. You'll find yourself saying "my fingers just won't move fast enough" or something along those lines, but the trick is to do everything very slowly, and very accurately. Anyone can build up enough dexterity to play the guitar, it may just take some longer than others.

I found a nice deal for an electric with amp, strap, case, stand, and cord for $200, plus it came with four group lessons I can take in December. It's a Squier Strat, which I guess is the discount brand for Fender. So far I've been watching the DVD and trying to learn the first two chords. The hardest part has been tuning it, I got an auto tuner with the package but it seems to not work very well. I'm using youtube video to help as well. I'm pretty excited, but also overwhelmed by all the stuff I need to learn.

I found a nice deal for an electric with amp, strap, case, stand, and cord for $200, plus it came with four group lessons I can take in December. It's a Squier Strat, which I guess is the discount brand for Fender. So far I've been watching the DVD and trying to learn the first two chords. The hardest part has been tuning it, I got an auto tuner with the package but it seems to not work very well. I'm using youtube video to help as well. I'm pretty excited, but also overwhelmed by all the stuff I need to learn.

Don't worry. The first few chords are gonna be a little difficult but then it gets easier. Then harder again. Then easier. Then harder.

Remember, fret each note with the tips of your fingers (not with the pads, or you'll accidentally mute other strings by touching them). Also, speed IS important. Don't feel like you've "mastered" a chord until you can transition to it without pause in between. Best way to practice this is to take your hand off the guitar, then fret the chord, take your hand off the guitar, fret the chord, repeat! Good luck!

Today, since I apparently have been posting so much in the FONV threads, I've moved into the 2nd page of top posters for the first time ever. At least temporarily. It won't last long I'm sure. ;)

Good games make me chatty. Well, actually a lot of things make me chatty, but that's another issue.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hruff. Having that momentary crisis of confidence after going nowhere with some work today. Gives you that total feeling of being a fraud when you have one of those days where your mind just won't grapple with the work properly. Leaves you with the whole "Dang it, I can do this! Why aren't I getting it??!" mental cry. Mayhaps a good nights sleep will see my mind finding the right angle for it manana. I'd just like to be able to get in some work that actually produces something.

Still, had some scampi for dinner, then got some reading of the new wheel of time book in tonight. So that was some to the good.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Love is when you're too tired to buy/restock your mt. dew before you crash into bed early and then waking up to discover your spouse went out after you went to bed and bought some for you. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts