What you did today

Gorth

So, bought an HDMI splitter (ATEN vs-182) hoping I could get an elegant solution for my mirroring my main monitor to the TV as well. Now, this is not as stupid as it sounds, since both are 1080p displays, so they'd use the same video settings as well. Unfortunately, I never even got this far. The switch initially reported itself as a 2-channel audio device (so it refused to accept even an AC3 stream), when I tried to tweak things a bit, it stopped reporting itself as an audio device at all... back in the box, taking it for a refund tomorrow. :)

Now my alternatives are, A) going low tech style and hotswapping the hdmi out between the monitor and receiver->tv lines when I need. Downside: no hdmi audio when using monitor. B) actually taking advantage of my 1899e dual output Pioneer amp and running the signal first to the amp, and then to the tv and the screen. Downside: at the very least, I need to keep the 7x140w (actual measured, not advertised watts) thing going when I'm using the computer. I might also be unable to watch tv and have the hdmi signal routed to the tv at the same time (pretty sure it's this way, looking at the manual would suggest otherwise, but I'm sure there's a catch somewhere). Le sigh.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't know what an ingrown toenail is!!

And I am afraid to google it :)

Bloody genetically superior Swedes.

I hate you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ok, so other than nearly falling out of my bed this morning... I got to learn that my box of stuff that I had left behind at the house to be sent to me after I'd been settled had been found... empty, and demolished, leaving only the tag. So basically some post office worker got 500 bucks worth of my stuff.

Excuse me while I go blow something up.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't know what an ingrown toenail is!!

And I am afraid to google it :(

It is what it says it is. Nail that has grown inside your flesh. Hurts like hell.

I still don't get it. How does it get into your flesh? All my nails are firmly attached to the outside of my body.

Bloody genetically superior Swedes.

I hate you.

Bow down before my genes, underling.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ok, so other than nearly falling out of my bed this morning... I got to learn that my box of stuff that I had left behind at the house to be sent to me after I'd been settled had been found... empty, and demolished, leaving only the tag. So basically some post office worker got 500 bucks worth of my stuff.

****ing hell, Cal. :( Will you get compensated at all?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

****ing hell, Cal. :wowey: Will you get compensated at all?

50 bucks... because my dad sent it at book rate and without insurance. I ain't gonna be replacing half that stuff any time soon.

50 bucks... because my dad sent it at book rate and without insurance. I ain't gonna be replacing half that stuff any time soon.

Oh man, that sucks. I'd offer to send you something by way of a gift, but I just heard this afternoon that ALL my PhD funding has been cut. Feth knows what I'm going to do now. With nothing big coming down the pike I may have to resort to temping! Should be quite awkward. :) Still, never afraid of some hard work.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh man, that sucks. I'd offer to send you something by way of a gift, but I just heard this afternoon that ALL my PhD funding has been cut. Feth knows what I'm going to do now. With nothing big coming down the pike I may have to resort to temping! Should be quite awkward. :) Still, never afraid of some hard work.

Come to Helsinki, we are so ****ing provincial that anyone south of Sweden is received like the second coming of Jesus. :p

How does it work in the UK wrt free education? You can get a four year degree (Bachelors) on the state but anything after that the individual has to pay for?

Which country in the world pays for postgraduate education? Because I'd be all over that.

I'm super sorry to hear about that Wals, as you can imagine my sympathies in this regard are total. :)

Helsinki, like that's a real place.

The cost of living is so high it might just as well be imaginary.

OnT: I was borking around with TuneUp and it managed to crack a 10-year mystery for me. The song I've been trying to id for so long is Mr. President - 4 On The Floor (Komakino remix). I never imagined those people'd get a remix done by some 'serious' people, so never investigated that possibility. Well, I know it now. Too bad tuneup failed me with the two other tracks pulled from different dj mixes, but those might be +/- pitched to the point of being unrecognisable, I guess. Still, I've been pretty impressed with this software so far, it also IDd the 'lower afterlife song' from ME2 for me - no mean feat, considering the track's never been published on a 'regular' cd... (just some strange industry package to radio stations etc.)

Which country in the world pays for postgraduate education? Because I'd be all over that.

*Raises hand* .. all of Scandinavia in fact does (of course you have to be citizen though).

Fortune favors the bald.

At first I thought you were joking.

Then I remembered I live in Golden Sweden (with sugar on top).

You won't get rich (you only get like.. $1000 per month), but you get paid for going to university here. It's part loan though, so they expect you to pay some back when you get a high salary job. But at least it's a student's loan so the interest rates are fair.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, well in New Zealand you get student loans with zero interest. Not sure about postgrads though.

It's a bit complicated here, but most postgrads are salaried employees of the university (I did this for a while, and being in the highest echelon of postgrads = the ones closest to being ready, I made around 2500e/month before taxes). This generally means they have to TA, and depending on their level also do 'real' teaching, but their main duties still are writing their dissertation. Some people are in specific research projects (with external funding), which sometimes gets funneled through the uni (who takes a chunk for their own misdeeds). Some people, like me, just get a grant from some third party and an office from the Uni (mostly these people are the lower-rung guys who couldn't get accepted to some real project that pays real, or relatively real money, but some of these sources of funding do carry quite a lot of prestige. So you can also end up as 'poor, but respectable').

Undergrads get around 400-600 euros a month, which is tied to making certain progress milestones. There's also a (fairly low) amount of student loan you can get, but it's IIRC generally tied to market interest rates. Again, IIRC, the interest is tax deductable (I knew I was going to keep doing postgraduate studies, so I avoided the loan like the plague). Oh, and if you make too much money, you have to pay back the 'support' part. The issue being that neither the support nor the financial limits are anything close to what you need to survive in the real world in Helsinki, for example. ;)

It's also theoretically possible to use the student support system for postgraduate studies, but due to the upper limit of 75 months, you're generally going to have run out of months by your masters degree, or soon after.

Minor caveats, I know there have been some changes to the system since I left it in 2007...

Edited by Nepenthe

At first I thought you were joking.

Then I remembered I live in Golden Sweden (with sugar on top).

You won't get rich (you only get like.. $1000 per month), but you get paid for going to university here. It's part loan though, so they expect you to pay some back when you get a high salary job. But at least it's a student's loan so the interest rates are fair.

How barbaric, we don't have to pay anything back.. Guess that's why so many Swedes come here to mooch on our education. ;)

Fortune favors the bald.

This could be the burning porcupine speaking*, but in fact it's quite good. Or at least not so bad. Disappointing, certainly, and bloody awkward, but at least this way I'm not going to be doing a PhD. I don't really want to be an academic, even if I quite enjoy teaching in a sense of the challenge.

Swallowed my pride and rang round friends and colleagues and called 'fire sale' on my services. Explained it was embrassing but I will be charging half price until the economy picks up. Got a fair bit of interest, because obviously that lets them reduce their costs in turn. Hopefully will haul the fat out of the fire, even if it will still be covered in bits of ash and burnt nail.

* Not a euphemism. See earlier post.

-Elwood Blues

Two things 1) What is your field?

and 2) I'm surprised more people latched on to this than what you were responding to initially. (no offense)

i feel terrible but had an interesting night

had no plans whatsoever after work yesterday, so decided when i finished to go have a beer in town then head home. ended up bumping into a friend, and then more people, then ended up at some mystery person's flat, then was at a reggae gig, then finally ended up at a party

i love when everything just comes together like that :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

These apps are killing me. Seriously.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Trying to stabilise after repeated nights battling that dread, demon known as INSOMNIA!!

Had to go up to the GP's to pick up a prescription for my mother.. only to find that the nurse had forgotten to actually get it sorted out after the last appointment.. so joy, semi-wasted trip. But at least I was able to pick up some assorted groceries on the trip back. Now set with pg tips supply.

Got some clearing up and organising going while still in that need proper sleep haze.. and stumbled onto a picture of the ex-who-was-the-first-love-of-my-life... (I could probably put that in caps and multiple exclamation marks..but that might be a tad overdone) which kind of had that slight kick in the teeth effect of memory.

Now that's what I call a monday start.. I'm wondering if it's setting the tone for the week.... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."