What are you playing now

Gorth

Pft Grim Fandango needs no sequel :p. LA did have some pretty awesome developers though, Holland, Schafer, Gresko and the dude behind DF2, even Stemmle and Clark.

They should make a sequel to X-Wing Alliance though. Anton Azzameen must pay!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm planning on replaying Kotor 2.

Are there any mods that I should be aware of?

TSLRCM

Is that a must-have? Or just some cosmetics?

Make sure you find out how to trigger the droid factory beforehand, or you could miss it entirely.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Ironic that one of the supposed strength of any Star Wars journey is story,

Did you watch the same movies I did? The strength was in lasers.

Eh, depends on the movies, on the original trilogy, story and characterization was awesome, on the new trilogy, it's all about the graphics ejaculating into your eyballs.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Eh, depends on the movies, on the original trilogy, story and characterization was awesome, on the new trilogy, it's all about the graphics ejaculating into your eyballs.

What exactly was good about the story? It was your average evil empire one. It was well paced, well acted, and the characters were likeable, but none of that is "story."

If it had been filmed today, people would have torn the plotholes a new one. "Wait, so they just let the strongest member of the Rebellion into the Emperor's chamber with the only bodyguard for the guy being that rebel's father? With both Vader and the Emperor making no secret of their intention to betray the other. Too dumb to live!"

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

star wars is probably the most quintessential hero's journey movie.

just because a story is not totally original does not mean it doesn't exist, the story of star wars is brilliant, and has been for hundreds of years.

edit: the emperor had several flaws, one of which was hubris to an extreme operatic level

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What exactly was good about the story? It was your average evil empire one. It was well paced, well acted, and the characters were likeable, but none of that is "story."

If it had been filmed today, people would have torn the plotholes a new one. "Wait, so they just let the strongest member of the Rebellion into the Emperor's chamber with the only bodyguard for the guy being that rebel's father? A guy already pretty open about betraying his intention to betray the Emperor. With the Emperor is threatening to replace to his face. Too dumb to live!"

Except that if you break down just about any movie along these lines you find similarities. For example Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark if Indy had done ABSOLUTLY NOTHING the nazi's would have died... probably more of them because of the way the ark worked...

"Eh, depends on the movies, on the original trilogy, story and characterization was awesome, on the new trilogy, it's all about the graphics ejaculating into your eyballs."

Eh. Both trilogies are about equal. the original is overrated and the prequels are underrated.

Except Jar Jar. there is simply no defending jAR jAR.

Disgusting. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Except that if you break down just about any movie along these lines you find similarities. For example Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark if Indy had done ABSOLUTLY NOTHING the nazi's would have died... probably more of them because of the way the ark worked...

Right, but that doesn't exactly contest my point at all. Indiana Jones was also not a particularly strong story. It's simply fun.

There's an almost compulsive need among nerds to overjustify their enjoyment. To the point that they habitually make stuff up about it to make it seem more intellectual than it is.

As art critics to art shows thus nerds to space opera and sci-fi.

Edited by Tale

There's an almost compulsive need among nerds to overjustify their enjoyment. To the point that they habitually make stuff up about it to make it seem more intellectual than it is.

Quite true. The whole 'power of myth' thing was basically Joseph Campbell glomming onto Lucas because it would sell a lot of books for him, and SW nerds glomming onto the line Campbell was selling to gain intellectual cover for their guilty pleasure. If you want a popular late-70s film that mirrors the archetypal epic hero's journey, the best example isn't Star Wars, it's Rocky.

The genius of the Star Wars films is/was in design: the art, models, sets, costumes, makeup, puppets, and sound were unbelievably cool. And cool production stuff like that is really really important in getting the audience to buy in.

On topic, I'm mucking around with BG2. Just did the obligatory early run to Watcher's Keep to grab the potion bag, ammo belt, and bottomless quiver, after having already completing assorted minor quests, plus the Keep and the Druid Grove. I think the Planar Sphere is next. Then maybe Firkrag (or however you spell it).

Quite true. The whole 'power of myth' thing was basically Joseph Campbell glomming onto Lucas because it would sell a lot of books for him, and SW nerds glomming onto the line Campbell was selling to gain intellectual cover for their guilty pleasure. If you want a popular late-70s film that mirrors the archetypal epic hero's journey, the best example isn't Star Wars, it's Rocky.

The genius of the Star Wars films is/was in design: the art, models, sets, costumes, makeup, puppets, and sound were unbelievably cool. And cool production stuff like that is really really important in getting the audience to buy in.

On topic, I'm mucking around with BG2. Just did the obligatory early run to Watcher's Keep to grab the potion bag, ammo belt, and bottomless quiver, after having already completing assorted minor quests, plus the Keep and the Druid Grove. I think the Planar Sphere is next. Then maybe Firkrag (or however you spell it).

i love rocky, and totally agree about the hero's journey aspect, but rocky is a hard movie for a lil kid to watch so I didn't appreciate it until I was a bit older.

as an aside: bashing Joseph Campbell doesnt make you any cooler than hugging his nuts does either.

star wars is openly, and obviously, awesome. It's too bad what happened to star wars in the last 15 years though, it really took away a lot of the magic. I'm not a star wars apologist, I just hate that somewhere along the way it became cool to bash it. If the only thing "star wars" that existed was the first 3 movies, and maybe those first 3 zahn books, then bashing star wars would be a sure fire way to ostracize yourself from every sensible person ever.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Doing more of sengoku basara. Ended up pulling off a 3000+ combo with Ieyasu Tokugawa (firing off his massive aoe special attack and triggering a camp commanders' explosion at the same time.

It is awesome that in order to get around Tokugawa uses Hondam (Tadakatsu Honda... the cyborg of DOOM!) as a mount!

Fallout 3. Getting towards the end which is usually when I stop playing due to boredom.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Star Wars movies were made for children, just thought I'd point that out.

I hated Star Wars, even as a child.

Amongst all the great sci fi movies, it is surely the least. Then again their creator openly stated that those movies are for children, despite everyone looking for some great cosmic philosophy in them. As childrens movies, they're quite good.

Blade Runner and Stalker. Now that's sci fi.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Laughing my ass off, the guys bashing formulaic Bioware stories are the first to defend star wars from the same criticism. Oh the irony. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

whoa, i don't bash bioware for formulaic stories, you got me confused for someone else methinks. I do defend star wars from such criticism though. the whole point is its a formulaic story told in a cool setting.

I DO bash bioware for having made some crappy games (nwn oc, jade empire), but i generally really like bioware for baldurs gate, dragon age, and mass effect2

also: comparing blade runner to star wars makes no sense, totally different type of movie. maybe we should compare Up with The Pianist because they both have sad parts? I cried more during Up than the Pianist, does that mean its a better drama?

no kid hated star wars.

... look at me i'm turning into volo... look at what you all have done to me...

Played the Force Unleashed 2 demo today and while technically very impressive, it feels very shallow.

Ironic that one of the supposed strength of any Star Wars journey is story, but TFU is completely devoid of it.

LA should face the facts that their games suck. They should partner up with external developers, like Obsidian again.

I actually enjoyed the story of TFU (while I felt the game sucked). An interesting way to link the events between EP 3 and 4 IMO.

whoa, i don't bash bioware for formulaic stories, you got me confused for someone else methinks. I do defend star wars from such criticism though. the whole point is its a formulaic story told in a cool setting.

I DO bash bioware for having made some crappy games (nwn oc, jade empire), but i generally really like bioware for baldurs gate, dragon age, and mass effect2

also: comparing blade runner to star wars makes no sense, totally different type of movie. maybe we should compare Up with The Pianist because they both have sad parts? I cried more during Up than the Pianist, does that mean its a better drama?

no kid hated star wars.

... look at me i'm turning into volo... look at what you all have done to me...

Christ I thought it was Volo's comment until the last sentence.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Alien is the best series of all time.

OF ALL TIME

aliens is awesome don't get me started.

its also a movie, not a series. dont even get me started. i swear to god...

the only thing i need now is for someone to say warhammer 40k is a ripoff of starcraft and then i can completely lose it.

edit: why is it so hard for someone to LOVE aliens, star wars, and blade runner, and consider each of them the absolute best movie of their respective genres?

(sci-fi war movie, space opera, cyberpunk noir -respectively)

Edited by entrerix