Del Toro And Cameron to shoot 'Mountains Of Madness' movie

Purkake

Via Deadline:

EXCLUSIVE: Since he left The Hobbit, Guillermo del Toro's next film has been a hot topic of conversation. I'm hearing he will next direct At The Mountains Of Madness, an adaptation of the HP Lovecraft tale that will be shot as a 3D film for Universal Pictures. The big surprise is that Avatar director James Cameron will come aboard as a producer. Del Toro was non-committal when I asked him about the prospect of Mountains days ago as we discussed the Comic-Con reaction to Don

Poor choice of a Lovecraft story to film.

I mean, it's a fab story but nothing really happens in it. No doubt in grand Hollywwod style it wil be tarted up with a ton of stuff that has nothing to do with the actual story.

They'd be better off choosing one of Lovecratft's more active stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth or the Dunwich Horror.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sweet.

While Mountains of Madness doesn't really do the usual Lovecraftian small creepy village/town thing, the old timey Antarctic explorers angle does add quite a bit to it in terms of uniqueness.

Also it's one of Lovecrafts few actual novels, most of the stuff was short stories.

Edited by Purkake

Poor choice of a Lovecraft story to film.

I mean, it's a fab story but nothing really happens in it. No doubt in grand Hollywwod style it wil be tarted up with a ton of stuff that has nothing to do with the actual story.

They'd be better off choosing one of Lovecratft's more active stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth or the Dunwich Horror.

Actually it should keep the hardcore fans from screaming "heresy", plus knowing Del Toro this is a perfect fit since both the story and the director are very visual.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"the old timey Antarctic explorers angle does add quite a bit to it in terms of uniqueness."

Nah. That's been done to death in movies. Anyways, looks like it could be a fun movie.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

While Mountains of Madness doesn't really do the usual Lovecraftian small creepy village/town thing, the old timey Antarctic explorers angle does add quite a bit to it in terms of uniqueness.

Also it's one of Lovecrafts few actual novels, most of the stuff was short stories.

I agree. The atmosphere and location of ATMM is one of its strong points. If they can catch that, at least it's something.

The narrative though is really just two guys wandering around an ancient, abandoned city looking at wall carvings, combined with the subnarrative of the city's history as told through the carvings themselves. Don't get me wrong--that's not a putdown. It's an engrossing story and one of HPL's best. But it's not a very action/thriller/3d/hollywood narrative and will take quite a bit of "additonal" scenes to make it so.

Given that so many of HPL's stories could translate much better: The Whisperer in Darkness, The Haunter of the Dark, The Lurking Fear, Dreams in the Witch House, The Rats in the Walls, Pickman's Model, and they are all very good stories as well; it would seem a less than optimum choice.

Probably the only story that would be harder to translate would be The Shadow out of Time, also another of HPL's best. And similar in many ways to ATMM.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Now I'm stuck pondering on just what it would be like if hollywood went musical and did A Shoggoth on the Roof... :banghead:

"Tentacles!!"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm soooo tired of the 3D craze. I can't watch movies in 3d without being uncomfortable, and my wife is the same way. I don't see why Hollywood really thinks this is a good idea.

You can watch them in 2D as well. It probably helps against piracy and some studios like Sony have a lot to gain from it in terms of selling new TVs. As for the movies themselves, I couldn't care less. The glasses are kind of heavy and uncomfortable, but it's not the end of the world.

Now I'm stuck pondering on just what it would be like if hollywood went musical and did A Shoggoth on the Roof... :woot:

"Tentacles!!"

Just put it on Broadway :banghead:

Just put it on Broadway :woot:

I was more thinking of them taking the moulin rouge route with it...

I could just see Ewan McGregor as Herbert West... Jim Broadbent in the role of Armitage... and from outfield, Christopher Walken singing "If I were a Deep One.."

:banghead:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Good news, I guess.

I'm certain there will be at least one Shoggoth chase scene in the movie. After all, those things don't die (unless you kill them with fire) and the Elder Things created them.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm soooo tired of the 3D craze. I can't watch movies in 3d without being uncomfortable, and my wife is the same way. I don't see why Hollywood really thinks this is a good idea.

I would guess that one reason for it is that it gives additional encouragement to see the film in the theater. MAkes it a bit more of a visual spectacle as it were. With all the competion from home theater setups, the film studios are probably lookig for ways to insure that people will still go the theaters as well as watch at home.

See it in the theater, see it again, buy it on dvd, watch it on cable. Ther more times the studio can sell the film, the better.

I'm stoked for this movie. I loved Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy movies, and Mountains of Madness was the first Lovecraft story I read, and still my favourite, after Shadows Over Innsmouth.

EDIT: oops.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I somehow think the plot will be very different. The background story, settings, names, monsters etc., I think they'll keep that. But the characters will be different and the things that happen in it will as well.

At this point I'll be happy if a bunch of arctic explorers get chased around by a Shoggoth.

Just as long as it's not a bunch of teenagers lost in Alaska :lol:

Al much as I hate the rubber forehead aliens, the Elder Things are one of the stupider looking of Lovecraft's aliens. The Mi-Go, Star Vampires and the various gods a much better examples of alien aliens.

Edited by Purkake

Lovecraft is one of few authors who made aliens actually look alien.

snip

Romance this, Shepard!

You been writing ME hentai fanfic, I see.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif