AP has sold 700k units?

have weapon skills improve damage instead of accuracy and leave the shooting to the player

You think 10 years after Deus Ex people would be smarter and more used to this system.

Oh wait, nevermind.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

If VGChartz is to be believed, AP sold 280K on the 360 and PS3, which isn't that bad, but still doesn't jibe with not even breaking top 20 on NPD. The only reason I can think Sega would've shipped that many to stores is they're hoping for bargain bin Christmas sales. http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?na...lpha%20protocol

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"Because people are idiots. They see a brand/IP they recognize and buy it like a ******* lemming.

"

Or better yet, people like soemthing and they want more of it. It's why I've bough D7D crpgs even though I ultimiately thought some weren't so good.

So, it makes perfectly logical intelligent sence that if you really loved a movie that you'll be more than willing to try out the game as well.

*shrug*

P.S. Plenty of movie based games do poorly.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eh, if SEGA says it sold 700K, that probably means it sold 700K.

Unless you suspect them of fraud to improve their yearly figures, now...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Or better yet, people like soemthing and they want more of it. It's why I've bough D7D crpgs even though I ultimiately thought some weren't so good.

So, it makes perfectly logical intelligent sence that if you really loved a movie that you'll be more than willing to try out the game as well.

Not really. For parents who don't know **** about anything, maybe. For those who actually read reviews and play games, no. It is well known that you never buy a movie game as they are pretty much without an exception utter ****. Too bad there are too many clueless parents around...

If you liked the first movie, then you might like the 2nd movie. But I wouldn't mix other sort of products into the mix as they usually have pretty much nothing to do with the movie you saw.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Christ, that's not that bad, is it? I understand the no-sequel diktat but 700k in one month isn't a catastrophe, it'll easily pass a million soon enough. I guess they were looking for it to pull in top notch RPG sales - if they did they were probably expecting double that.

That said, Iron Man 2? I hate how we all sucker into brand purchases :)

It is VERY bad for a game on 3 platforms. The average next gen game costs around 25 million dollars to develop.....I don't think Alpha Protocol even reached the break even point at which there is exactly 0 profit.

Perhaps the average AAA next gen game costs $25 million to develop, but there aren't many of those a year. I'd be surprised if AP cost anywhere near that amount. Bioshock cost around $25 million to make and it was 4 years in development and had three studios working on it for the last of those years. Bioshock 2 had four.

Looking a little more into this, it's 700k units shipped not sold. Most of them are probably either taking up shelf space or in a dark warehouse somewhere, seeing as it didn't show up in the NPDs.

Sauce?

The Japanese translation of the figures gives a rather less than useful "units sold", and a standard disclaimer. A shipped figure seems sensible to me, though that makes the Iron Man totals small given it was shipped to five platforms.

Eh, if SEGA says it sold 700K, that probably means it sold 700K.

Unless you suspect them of fraud to improve their yearly figures, now...

Looking a little more into this, it's 700k units shipped not sold. Most of them are probably either taking up shelf space or in a dark warehouse somewhere, seeing as it didn't show up in the NPDs.

Sauce?

The Japanese translation of the figures gives a rather less than useful "units sold", and a standard disclaimer. A shipped figure seems sensible to me, though that makes the Iron Man totals small given it was shipped to five platforms.

See the NeoGAF thread, it's units sold to retailers.

"Eh, if SEGA says it sold 700K, that probably means it sold 700K"

That's if Sega actually said it.

As for high cost of games, it probably includes salaries of full times who work on multiple games during the eyar.

ie. If Sawyer worked on both AP, and FO3 in the same year (not saying that's the case); would his salary count for both? I'm sure Obsidian's artists work on both games for sure. So, there's probably a lot of double dipping in these costs.

P.S. Aliens RPG cost (or would have cost) 30mil? That's just ridiculous.

Edited by Volourn

See the NeoGAF thread, it's units sold to retailers.

So, because a Volourn on another forum says it, it's true?

Consider me converted... eh, wait... what? o:)

^

Obsidian uses fairly small teams, I don't think their games are that expensive, nor is AP really AAA, more like A-. I bet Bioware spent at least twice as much on just making ME, not to mention promoting it. Aliens may have been an expensive game though, from what we saw of it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"So, because a Volourn on another forum says it, it's true?"

No, it's ebcause of Sega thesmelves stating quite clearly that AP is a financial failure. What motivation does Sega have to lie about that?

"Obsidian uses fairly small teams, I don't think their games are that expensive,"

100+ employees is not small. Then you have to throw the cost of the Sega employees involved with the game in as well. The tech used, the advertising, and then's the fact that the profit pie is spread between Obsidian, Sega, and the actual stores.

When you say 'not that expensive'.. what do you think is expensive? 1mil? 5 mil? 10mil? 25mil?

Edited by Volourn

100+ employees for something like 2.5 teams (or is it 3 / 3.5 now?), Volo. R00FLES!

I think the most likely scenario is AP *has* sold 700k in the first month, and for SEGA that was not good enough.

Sheesh Volo, are you in a 'who can be more disingenuous competition? 100+ employees across 2 and a bit teams and the source for the 700k figure was provided not just in the first post, but directly on the first page.

There are also the NPDs and common sense.

Oh, and the bit where SEGA says that it sold less than expected.

Obviously you are free to ignore all that.

Ah, the internet, where stating something as fact, having a red user name and sounding authoritative is enough.

Any figures in a quarterly earnings report will be sold-to-retailers.

Faaaaaiiiiiled. It's always specified which is being used as it's a legal obligation to be accurate with things that affect share price for publicly traded companies.

EA q3 reports "ME2 shipped 2 million copies to retailers"

EA q4 report "ME2 sold through 1.6 million units on 360, PC and digital downloads"

Personally I think he's right in this case (on balance of probability) but he's nowhere near being as authoritative as he likes to appear. Definitively non definitive.

Edited by Zoraptor

Bottom line Sega flat out stated that AP was a financial failure in their eyes. It doesn't matter how many copies shipped, sold, were stolen, borrowed, or whatever. It's a failure ebcause Sega says so and they would know. They have no motive to lie.

"Sheesh Volo, are you in a 'who can be more disingenuous competition? 100+ employees across 2 and a bit teams and"

I believe you are. Obsidian is not a small developer company. Stop pretending they are. They have a bunch of employees, and the employees of theirs that work on their games is not even including all the Sega employees that worked on AP. Or the publishers on their other games. For exmaple, go read the KOTOR2 book and be amazed by the number of Obsidian + LA employees worked on the game. And, that was when Obsidian was new and they've grown since then.

I repeat: Obsidian is not some dinky little garage company, and you bemsirch them by lying about their status.