Dragon Age 2

ME is irrelevant. It's an oldm game. ME2 has sold more than DA.

Like i said ebfore, the real culprits for this change are the Codex. These guys claim to be harecore rpgs but they vastly prefered ME2 to DA so BIO is just doing what they promised - pleasing the old skool market with DA2 and since they prefer ME2, DA2 will be more like the game they want.

R00fles!

you is nuts. the codexians couldn't get fire department response if they set themselves ablaze and ran into a busy street. nobody beyond codex cares 'bout codex save as entertainment value. a small group o' over the top malcontents howling at the wind. is funny.

the console version o' da sold better than pc... and now bio gots to release a sequel in very little time. therefore, biowarian priority is understandably shifted to consoles, and any way they can strip down and streamline da2 will aid in their efforts to make a q1 2011 deadline. many o' the announced changes and features is resource saving moves. bio will release a pc version o' da2, but it is not gonna be a long development cycle, and they is gonna cut anything they deem as nonessential so as to be making their deadline.

codex forced changes?

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As I understand it the PC version sold more than the PS3 one at least. 1.14 million NPD (PS3/360) for its first two months (cf ME 2 ~800k over the same period :smug:) is considerably less than its total sales. Best guess is roughly 1 million on PC worldwide- though it's based on extrapolation.

Those sale number for ME2 are way down, VGChartz has it at 900,000 in it's first week and 1.4 mil after a month.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Accurate sales data is really hard to find. In company quaterly result sheets there's usually shipped number (as it's obviously better number then games sold in retail or in digital download). Steam numbers are impossible to get and even NPD report only US numbers. Generally US numbers (shipped or sold in retail) might be 30% to 100% higher then in rest of the world. Then add games sold on consoles and games sold on PC. Ugh... getting very complex.

If Bioware say that console DA sold much better then PC version, I'll belive 'em as second hand data like VGcharts support it. Speaking of VGcharts, they rank ME sales higher (both US and worldwide) then ME2. Maybe ME2 sold about 500k more copies on PC then ME, as it'd make ME2 more popular overall. My guess was that PC version of DA would sold about 750k, but it might have been bit lower or higher, depending on digital version sales. I can't find any info where it's said that Mass Effect 2 has sold more then Dragon Age.

Numbers from VGchartz (consoles, both US and worldwide)

• Mass Effect: 2,26 million
    Mass Effect 2: 1,88 million
    Dragon Age: 2,57 million

Dragon Age is said to be sold (or probably shipped) 3,2 million units, thus PC sales would have been about 630k. For ME2 to beat DA, PC version of ME2 sales should have been 1,32 million copies. Possible, but that number is probably too high.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

You can blame me. I didn't TRUST Bioware after the ME stuff with their draconian DRM on that, so I didn't buy ANY OF THEIR GAMES ON PC after that. However I really wanted to play their games...SOOO I took the easy way out, I got them on console. I just rectified it today by ordering the PC versions, but it's people like me that probably are pushing the console versions. I don't want to have to put up with the buggy mess of PC half the time, and the other half is that DRM typically is so restrictive, I just really don't want to deal with being treated like a criminal on the computer. So I got consoles instead which is where a majority of my gaming goes on these days. DRM changed me from a hardcore PC gamer to a hardcore console gamer.

Sorry guys. You can blame me.

PS: and yes, I loved DA:O and DA:A on the console...even with out the tactical view...perhaps I'll change my mind after I see it on PC, but as for me, I'd eagerly await DA2 on console or PC even if it only came out like it did for the console look. Me and my kind I suppose are the ones that you can blame. To my benefit I didn't find out until after ME2 was released that the PC versions of the games didn't have the bad DRM like ME did...and by that point I had already gotten them for console.

You can blame me. I didn't TRUST Bioware after the ME stuff with their draconian DRM on that, so I didn't buy ANY OF THEIR GAMES ON PC after that. However I really wanted to play their games...SOOO I took the easy way out, I got them on console. I just rectified it today by ordering the PC versions, but it's people like me that probably are pushing the console versions. I don't want to have to put up with the buggy mess of PC half the time, and the other half is that DRM typically is so restrictive, I just really don't want to deal with being treated like a criminal on the computer. So I got consoles instead which is where a majority of my gaming goes on these days. DRM changed me from a hardcore PC gamer to a hardcore console gamer.

Sorry guys. You can blame me.

PS: and yes, I loved DA:O and DA:A on the console...even with out the tactical view...perhaps I'll change my mind after I see it on PC, but as for me, I'd eagerly await DA2 on console or PC even if it only came out like it did for the console look. Me and my kind I suppose are the ones that you can blame. To my benefit I didn't find out until after ME2 was released that the PC versions of the games didn't have the bad DRM like ME did...and by that point I had already gotten them for console.

Its not your fault or the consumer's, it's Bioware's. Simply because they decided to go for bigger sales instead of doing an old-school type RPG which was kind of what was promised with DA, "the return to days of PC RPGs". I really though that this was one series dedicated to that game style, that would bring back the glory of those games. Now BW has whored to make a buck.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Mass Effect: 2,26 million

Mass Effect 2: 1,88 million

Dragon Age: 2,57 million"

ME2, and DA are both at 3mil+. And, i'm sure ME1 is nearing 3mil as well since all of BIO RPGs sans JE (1.5mil) are around 3mil mark and ME2 and DA are their most successful ones to date sales wise.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As I understand it the PC version sold more than the PS3 one at least. 1.14 million NPD (PS3/360) for its first two months (cf ME 2 ~800k over the same period :smug:) is considerably less than its total sales. Best guess is roughly 1 million on PC worldwide- though it's based on extrapolation.

Those sale number for ME2 are way down, VGChartz has it at 900,000 in it's first week and 1.4 mil after a month.

Heh, VGChartz. There's a reason Wikipedia don't accept them as a valid source. EA's own figure was 1.6 million sold including all PC after three months, though it isn't the first time they've been caught out that way (similar thing happened with Bioshock). NPD is a limited source as well, but far better regarded than VGChartz.

For What it's Worth the methodology I used to get the figure was:

ME2 800k NPD (2 months 360)-> 1.6 million total sales after three months inc PC (per EA quarterly report).

DAO 1100k NPD (2 months PS360)-> 2.2 million total sales after three months inc PC (extrapolation).

DAO has almost certainly sold more than 2.7 million copies by February (reason: initial shipment was 2.7 million per EA quarterly report but it had shipped 3.2 million by February). That suggests PC sales of 500k + proportion of 2.2 million + whatever else has sold since = estimate of roughly a million.

There are a bunch of assumptions there of course, but I'd say the 1 million estimate is a fair one.

Heh, VGChartz. There's a reason Wikipedia don't accept them as a valid source. EA's own figure was 1.6 million sold including all PC after three months, though it isn't the first time they've been caught out that way (similar thing happened with Bioshock). NPD is a limited source as well, but far better regarded than VGChartz.

ME2 800k NPD (2 months 360)-> 1.6 million total sales after three months inc PC (per EA quarterly report).

DAO 1100k NPD (2 months PS360)-> 2.2 million total sales after three months inc PC (extrapolation).

DAO has almost certainly sold more than 2.7 million copies by February (reason: initial shipment was 2.7 million per EA quarterly report but it had shipped 3.2 million by February). That suggests PC sales of 500k + proportion of 2.2 million + whatever else has sold since = estimate of roughly a million.

There are a bunch of assumptions there of course, but I'd say the 1 million estimate is a fair one.

When you're extrapolating, are you taking into account that NPD is NA only? Worldwide doubling the NPD number is a pretty good estimate. If DAO indeed sold 1 million on the PC (which I don't believe) they'd be a lot more eager to support the PC (that's 50 million in revenue, surely worth a top down view).

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

he explained exactly how he's extrapolating in the post you quoted. For ME2 he had the NPD from the US and the worldwide numbers. Then just applied the same factor for DAO (ie doubling the number).

Also, 1 million copies sold != 50 million in revenue. I think EA sees half that or so. But yeah, 20-25 million is nothing to sneeze at either. but time is also a factor when it comes to DA2. They want it out the door fast.

Yeah, 1 million sales ~ 20 million in revenue, probably somewhat more for PC though, as presumably they sold a fair few copies through their online store where they would get the full $50 out of it. It would also be ~1/3 of sales, so the console versions- either 360 alone or PS360 combined- still would have sold better. The main point though is that anything done for the consoles will work on PC but not vice versa as evidenced by DAO having some fairly well known issues with the PS3 especially but also the 360 and the total lack of the tactical view on either- so it is simply more efficient to aim for the console standard.

Edited by Zoraptor

"The main point though is that anything done for the consoles will work on PC"

No. Please don't make silly assertions like this.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

what can you do on a console you cant do on a pc?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

he explained exactly how he's extrapolating in the post you quoted. For ME2 he had the NPD from the US and the worldwide numbers. Then just applied the same factor for DAO (ie doubling the number).

Also, 1 million copies sold != 50 million in revenue. I think EA sees half that or so. But yeah, 20-25 million is nothing to sneeze at either. but time is also a factor when it comes to DA2. They want it out the door fast.

The way I understood it he was doubling because he extrapolated from 2 months to 3 months and adding in PC sales, not because he was doubling for world wide. Which btw, probably 70-80% of full price sales will be in the first month. And yes, I meant $50 million in total revenue generated, not EA's cut. Actually figuring the profit they'd see is tricky business.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I was doubling because we have known total PC/DD/360 sales figure for ME2 at 3 months which was double that of the NPD figure at two months. Since we also have the two months NPD for DAO all other things being equal the same formula would apply.

"The main point though is that anything done for the consoles will work on PC"

No. Please don't make silly assertions like this.

Oh please, there's nothing wrong with that statement unless you're deliberately looking for an argument. The changes being discussed, in context, are all ones where if you can do it on console you most certainly can do it on PC. The fact that they have already been done on PC in DAO (as an option, not compulsory) is fairly compelling evidence, after all.

In all of EA reports(that I can find) ME2 sales figures are not listed. So if you could link the report you are seeing, that would be good.

EA 4th qtr PDF

EA profits

EA Sees Q4 Profit Sales Up 14 Percent.php

In fact the only sales data I can find:

1UP: 2 week sales

VG Zero: 178,737 (975,537) in 7 days

Gamespot: 572,100 in 5 days

GamersShell

LazyGamer: Mass Effect 2 Outsells Everything Else by at Least 6-1

january npd sales numbers are in mass effect 2 kills

aussie charts mass effect 2 triumphan

mass effect 2- ops uk sales char

Mass Effect 2 just proved in it's first week that it may very well sell more on PC than on Xbox 360. As seen below, ME2 managed to occupy 6 places in the weekly top ten sellers from Steam, D2D and Impulse.

Not only that, but ME2 also affected it's prequel - Mass Effect 1 managed show up in both Steam and D2D's Top Ten. As a whole, the Mass Effect franchise had 8 top spots in the 3 charts below:

Steam (By Revenue) - January 24 though January 30, 2010

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 LE (Pre-Order) - EA DICE

2. Mass Effect 2 - BioWare

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Infinity Ward

4. Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition - BioWare

5. Global Agenda (Pre-Order) - Hi-Rez

6. BioShock 2 (Pre-Order) - 2K Marin / Digital Extremes

7. Mass Effect - BioWare / Demiurge

8. Psychonauts - Double Fine

9. Tropico 3: Steam Special Edition - Haemimont

10. Company of Heroes Complete - Relic

Direct2Drive - January 24 though January 30, 2010

1. Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition - BioWare

2. Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition (Pre-Order)- Cryptic

3. Mass Effect 2 - BioWare

4. Star Trek Online (Pre-Order) - Cryptic

5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 LE (Pre-Order) - EA DICE

6. Mass Effect - BioWare / Demiurge

7. Civilization IV Complete - Firaxis

8. Red Faction: Guerrilla - Volition

9. Dragon Age: Origins - BioWare

10. Aion - NCSoft

Impulse - January 24 though January 30, 2010

1. Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment - Ironclad

2. Gratuitous Space Battles - Positech

3. Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy (Pre-Order) - Ironclad

4. Armada 2526 - Ntronium

5. Sins of a Solar Empire - Ironclad

6. Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition - BioWare

7. Light of Altair - SaintXi

8. Mass Effect 2 - BioWare

9. Sword of the Stars Ultimate - Kerberos

10. Star Trek Online (Pre-Order) - Cryptic

Then there is this:

From joystiq which is the first place besides Vgchartz and Wikipedia(which was dated March 31, two months after the release) for me to see the 1.6mil figure.

Of course we could take this 6.6 million-selling sequel Mass Effect 2 :p figure as truth.(You would of thought the site would of corrected the error by now)

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

See his link on p 25.

I was doubling because we have known total PC/DD/360 sales figure for ME2 at 3 months which was double that of the NPD figure at two months. Since we also have the two months NPD for DAO all other things being equal the same formula would apply.

That's what I figured. Where you went wrong was assuming there's a significant PC component in there. I see nothing in the numbers to indicate that.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Are you guys trying to use teh intrawebz to prove that Dragon Age sold more than Mass Effect 2? Phhh...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What is all this nitpicking about ME2/DA sales?

Who knows the real numbers, and why should we bother?

Bottom line is: Both games were a success, and both games get a sequel(s).

Yeah - and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that DAO benefited from having basically an "optimal" release date - even if it went pretty much head2head with Modern Warfare 2, I think we can assume that the kids these days get more than one game in their sock. (I know I didn't, certainly not when I got Pool of Radiance in 1990).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

But DA2 is turning into Dragon Effect, so it begs the question why a game that garnered success on its on values needs to imitate another.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But DA2 is turning into Dragon Effect, so it begs the question why a game that garnered success on its on values needs to imitate another.

It's a natural evolution. Just as JE evolved sligthly from Kotor, DA2 evolves slightly from ME.

You can't expect that they put the old 2004ish gameplay of DAO into DA2.