Hesitate to buy the game base on review, patch coming for tech bugs?

Hi all,

I've been a fan of Obsidian for a long time. I'm an avid lover of RPGs, and I remembering picking up NWN2 and KOTOR2 because of the awesome memories of playing Planescape: Torment. However, recently reviews for Alpha Protocol has been more than scathing, especially those from Gamespot (whom I've trust over the years as generally fair, especially since a friend of mine works there as an editor), as well as various sources like Destroid, which gave it a very low score, and Metacritic is giving it around the 70s range.

I'm really torn as to pick up this game or not, especially since KOTOR2 had so much content that were missing. One of the previous games I bought had tons of technical bugs that eventually caused my computer to crash and burn in a horrible way, so I'm extremely wary of that. From what the various reviews are saying, it's the technical bugs that's bringing the game down. That's something that can be fixed in a patch, so is there a patch coming to address those issues? I really don't want to go thru the nightmare of reinstalling OS and various things again because a game has technical issues.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

- Ava

Read the forum, most people have no major problems. Those that get some of the problems like mouse movement or lag can be fixed. I suggest getting the PC version, but that is only because I think consoles suck. :D

Also ignore reviews in general, read forums and listen to people you trust.

No word on a patch yet, but that does not mean none are coming.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

I can only speak for the 360 version personally, but I have had very minimal technical issues so far. These amount to a couple of second long stutters in a particular mission area and texture pop-in that is pretty much equivalent to that of ME1. Many of the animations aren't of the greatest quality and the shooting mechanics aren't exactly silky smooth, but I don't believe these are technical issues so much as design/execution choices.

If you're primarily an RPG fan and not expecting AP to have GoW/Borderlands/ME2/MW2/etc. style shooting mechanics or the absolute cutting edge of visual presentation, I'd say go for it. The story, characters, and gameplay seem to take a little bit of time to get moving, but I am pretty damn drawn in at this point and having a good deal of fun. Well worth the purchase, in fact I might wind up buying a copy for PC as well at some point in the future.

Edited by Sid Nitzerglobin

If you aren't a graphics whore, can get past a few rough edges, and understand that the game is an RPG at heart, then I think you'll enjoy it, especially if you also enjoy stealth action games like Metal Gear Solid or Hitman. If you're much more into shooters like Gears of War, then I'd probably pass until you can get it on sale. The main problem with nearly every single review I've seen is that they attempt to evaluate Alpha Protocol as an action game or a shooter, rather than an RPG where your underlying stats are important to determining play-style and outcomes. It's worth noting that nearly every single RPG site I visit has given the game positive reviews.

As for the version, it'll run on older systems, so get the PC version unless you have trouble playing games made after 2007 or so.

Edited by sea

I'm really torn as to pick up this game or not, especially since KOTOR2 had so much content that were missing. One of the previous games I bought had tons of technical bugs that eventually caused my computer to crash and burn in a horrible way, so I'm extremely wary of that. From what the various reviews are saying, it's the technical bugs that's bringing the game down. That's something that can be fixed in a patch, so is there a patch coming to address those issues? I really don't want to go thru the nightmare of reinstalling OS and various things again because a game has technical issues.

I've just finished my first run on the PC version. There are bugs in the game, but I honestly haven't run into anything game breaking. The mouse acceleration and stuttering issues I had were fixed with a couple ini tweaks. I've also run into some issues with enemies not reappearing when clicking "Reload Last Checkpoint" after a death, but everything appears normally if I manually select the save from the "Load Checkpoint" menu. All that said, there have been other people that have more serious issues, but they do seem to be the minority so far.

I'll say that the biggest concern I'd have about your level of enjoyment from AP is likely not going to be technical issues, but your response to the combat mechanics. Although it may look like a third person shooter, it really does have RPG combat. Trying to shot someone 2 feet away can and will fail spectacularly unless you take the time to let your targeting reticule zero in on the enemy. I think this issue is quite possibly the single biggest hurdle that most people will face when playing the game. If you can get over that, I suspect you'll enjoy it. If not, then AP probably isn't the game for you.

Ideally you could rent the game first, or sneak in a session with a friend's copy to see how you respond to the combat mechanics. If you enjoy it, go ahead and purchase it! Part of the draw to the game is all the different ways that situations can play out in how the game world reacts to your actions and that requires multiple playthroughs to get the full effect.

Hopefully this is helpful. :thumbsup:

Edited by Deraldin

Read the forum, most people have no major problems. Those that get some of the problems like mouse movement or lag can be fixed. I suggest getting the PC version, but that is only because I think consoles suck. :D

I just went from the pc version to the xbox 360 version and what a change. Mini games way better, no framedrops, so atm I think the console versions are better

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!

I still don't understand all the people ******** and moaning about this game. It seriously isn't bad or poor at all. It's actually damn good.

I will never listen to a review ever again after this one. Alpha Protocol is one of my favorites in a while. Both Obsidian and Sega got screwed. Truly a raw deal.

PS: Xbox 360 version.

Edited by Libertarian

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

- Ava

Can't speak for the pc version as I've only played the 360 version. If you have a console, get the game now. Only bugs I've encountered so far were couple of guards disappearing after reloading and that's after 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I haven't really had any major bugs, just the mouse jerkiness. The stuttering went away after a couple of ini fixes but the mouse is still freaking out from time to time but nowhere near the way it was without the fixes. I definitely recommend you to buy the game.

Oh and yeah, I'm playing it on PC.

Did you add the

OneFrameThreadLag=False

.ini tweak or just the

UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false

Both should eliminate most peoples lag/mouse problems Blackwolfe.

Cesko, you may be right that the controls are much nicer, but a PC will always look better. With luck the patch will make the controls a little more PC friendly.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

I'm really torn as to pick up this game or not, especially since KOTOR2 had so much content that were missing. One of the previous games I bought had tons of technical bugs that eventually caused my computer to crash and burn in a horrible way, so I'm extremely wary of that.

For some perspective - AP is *nowhere* as bad as KOTOR2. There is no missing content or half-arsed endgame here, and the game itself is not as buggy as K2 either.

If you generally can put up with some bugs, some troubleshooting, some clunkiness to get at a great game, get this, no question whatsoever, because it is awesome. If they frustrate you and you just want a smooth ride, maybe wait for a patch. Certainly, if you enjoyed, say, KOTOR2 and thought "it'd be great if it weren't so extraordinarily buggy", get AP.

I've done three runs so far (game can be complited very quickly, I think my first run as stealth character took 4-5 times longer then with next runs with full combat characters). Actually there's very few storyline bugs (meaning most of the time youe choices get correct reasion) and I've only experienced one game crashing bug (and now I sort of know how to avoid it... ).

While combat is flawed and (most) boss fights terrible, a lot of it can be fixed by selecting easy difficulty and going full into assault rifles and toughtness (and few points to martial arts). That way you get to experience the good storyline and least likely end up with any game stopping situations.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Did you add the

OneFrameThreadLag=False

.ini tweak or just the

Cesko, you may be right that the controls are much nicer, but a PC will always look better. With luck the patch will make the controls a little more PC friendly.

Yes I did, but it doesnt fix it for everyone, at least not completely. It did reduce it by alot though.

I just went from the pc version to the xbox 360 version and what a change. Mini games way better, no framedrops, so atm I think the console versions are better

Interesting, I thought the pc version would be superior. Anymore impressions from the 360 version?

Interesting, I thought the pc version would be superior. Anymore impressions from the 360 version?

The 360 version performs solidly. Frame rate is steady, and there are no interface issues or jerkiness. Graphics are better on a good PC though. Lockpicking is a bit harder on the console, hacking is a bit easier.

I must say to the OP: Buy this game. I am also in the same boat that I may never trust another US review site again (Except for 1up, they gave the game a B- or B +). Can't remember which.... Most of the American reviews were either coming from somebody that tried to play the game like a TPS or they over exaggerated the bugs. I have had no major crashes, no game-breaking bugs or things not working. The only problem I had was the mouse stuttering problem and I fixed that real quick (BTW, I don't know if is consistent for everybody but I did not need to switch the UseBackgroundLevelStreaming for my PC. Just changed the OneFrameThreadLag and presto).

I have Red Dead Redemption, ****ing love that game! You know what I have been addicted to? Alpha Protocol. If this game can make me drop a game that I absolutely love to play it instead; it must be doing something right!

I must say to the OP: Buy this game. I am also in the same boat that I may never trust another US review site again (Except for 1up, they gave the game a B- or B +). Can't remember which.... Most of the American reviews were either coming from somebody that tried to play the game like a TPS or they over exaggerated the bugs. I have had no major crashes, no game-breaking bugs or things not working. The only problem I had was the mouse stuttering problem and I fixed that real quick (BTW, I don't know if is consistent for everybody but I did not need to switch the UseBackgroundLevelStreaming for my PC. Just changed the OneFrameThreadLag and presto).

I have Red Dead Redemption, ****ing love that game! You know what I have been addicted to? Alpha Protocol. If this game can make me drop a game that I absolutely love to play it instead; it must be doing something right!

Same. I love RDR, but both Alan Wake and Alpha Protocol really pulled me away from that game.

For some perspective - AP is *nowhere* as bad as KOTOR2. There is no missing content or half-arsed endgame here, and the game itself is not as buggy as K2 either.
Depends on your definition of missing. The G22 subplot.. :thumbsup:

I don't think the G22 is cut content just as for Sean Darcy, well you'll see. Let's just say, G22 is probably going to have bigger a role if there is going to be another Alpha Protocol. They have many similarities to Alpha Protocol, but their profile suggest they rarely act and rarely show themselves.

Overall I think Obsidian did a great job. My advice is to never listen to magazine reviews since they tend to be hopelessly biased towards major labels. Yes the game does graphically blow lightening up your ass but so what. The game play is great and the character interaction is superb.

Did you add the

OneFrameThreadLag=False

.ini tweak or just the

I'm not playing for the graphics, but for the experience and I played on pc also with a controller, but the feel wasn't great and now on the 360 I would give the game a higher rating, just because it plays better

Who are you "Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, mr. Thorton, Michael, Mike, Michael, Mike, Michael darling, agent Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Thorton, Michael Thorton, etc....."

"Oh the candy dish! That's right - that's where I left my keys" Heck YEAH!!