Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

hardcore mode tweaks are as follows correct?:

ammo weight

sleep requirements

food requirements

stimpacks heal over time

Nothing else right? so it doesnt cause bullets to do more damage? are we still going to have to shoot 36 rounds from a minigun into a raiders head to kill him?

Damage threshold, damage resistances (I think), multi ammo types, dumb dialogue (to some extent, not the 4< mental retardation dialogue, sadly.) etc.

Edited by Syraxis

I understand that not everyone enjoys those aspects, which is why it's purely optional. In Call of Pripyat, I don't make food runs; I carry a small amount of food with me, regularly eat from inventory, and loot dead stalkers/bandits for food when I need to. When I allocate that weight in inventory, it's a trade off for more ammo, first aid kits, anti-radiation medicine, etc. I enjoy it, but I don't think people are bad/dumb for not enjoying it.

i'll actually go ahead and agree with this. i enjoyed CoP quite a lot (though Pripyat itself was a huge disappointment, imo) and never found eating/sleeping/taking cover/etc to be tedious. it helped animate even further for me the sense of survival in The Zone.

'cause by doing so the critique is changed in some meaningful way?

no, i think he was just asking for a less juvenile form of discourse (speaking of, do you larp as an ogre/troll in real life too? like...at work and socially?)

*shrugs*

sometimes the line dividing irony and hypocrisy is thin. Gromnir can turn off the ogre/troll in rl... am doubting you can say the same.

in any event, we appreciate josh's post-before-you-think style as it frequent results in him divulging perhaps more than he might otherwise do 'pon reflection, but his post count clearly refutes twink's theory. the number o' Gromnir posts josh has responded to in the past is not easily counted, and sadly obsidian's most loquacious developer is perhaps more likely to respond to respond to inane posts and obvious trolls than genuine queries. dunno, maybe is a cathartic thing.

regardless, it would seem that the restless corpse o' lord british, forever choking 'pon poisoned bread, will once again rise from its grave to plague gamers in yet another franchise. oh joy.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Hardcore mode" is not the same as the difficulty slider, right? Meaning, Hardcore is an on/off toggle but there is also a seperate difficulty slider?

And that's what I think is cool - people who want it can have it, people who don't don't. Cool stuff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Hardcore mode" is not the same as the difficulty slider, right? Meaning, Hardcore is an on/off toggle but there is also a seperate difficulty slider?

And that's what I think is cool - people who want it can have it, people who don't don't. Cool stuff.

Yup. The option factor is great. Option toggles are the way to go, imo.

Don't like the HUD? Turn it off.

Don't like the compass? Turn it off.

Don't like location indicators on the compass? Turn them off.

Don't like Fast Travel? Turn it off.

Even better would be if less aids = more xp. Or something.

ANyway, I think HC mode is a good idea, though I never would have thought to ask for it. The sleep/food part is the least important to me though of all the HC tweaks.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

-Oh crap! Please let me leave notes on the world map or something, would be nice specially if you take an extended break from playing.

I forgot about the long hair; Final Fantasy 10(PS2) had long hair, so it could work.

(Moving Strands of hair)

(Long, somewhat static Hair) both within the first 20 seconds.

Skirts would probably be alot harder, plus it would not make in sense in the game.(unless you found a town where everyone was trying to pretend it was the 1950's) Or since apparently New Vegas is mostly untouched It would make sense.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I actually don't really care for stuff like that to be honest. Then it's no longer about options, but players having to make an actual choice of significant merit. When it comes to stuff like this, I think options are good as opposed to choices.

that causes problems. more xp results in your character being tougher... which makes game easier.

more gold/jink/money

more exp

more 1007

all such stuff means that developers must find additional ways to stay ahead o' the curve. am understanding that for most folks playing a crpg, some kinda Reward is expected, but such rewards is typical at odds with the seeming goal o' a feature intended to increase the difficulty o' a game. developers necessarily needs adopt seemingly ridiculous scaling options and other less palatable solutions.

actually, awarding less xp would seem to be a more effective solution, but am betting that most players would balk at such an obvious means o' increasing game difficulty.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yup. The option factor is great. Option toggles are the way to go, imo.

Don't like the HUD? Turn it off.

Don't like the compass? Turn it off.

Don't like location indicators on the compass? Turn them off.

Don't like Fast Travel? Turn it off.

ANyway, I think HC mode is a good idea, though I never would have thought to ask for it. The sleep/food part is the least important to me though of all the HC tweaks.

Nah, even better would be if they designed the game with this in mind from the beginning, meaning that even without a compass you still could find quest locations and NPCs simply going by directions and hints, etc.

As Gromnir says less aids = more xp is a broken mechanic that undermines the challenge.

Fallout 3 perfectly illustrates what Gromnir is talking about. Hardest difficulty gave an xp boost, resulting in the game becoming much easier much faster, since character level had a large impact on difficulty.

Yeah, I thnk you guys are right.

In fact, I played FO3 with a mod that made major reductions to XP and increased the XP required for additonal levels for the exact reason that less XP made the game more fun (and more challenging).

So I stand corrected on the more xp thing.

Still I think making a lot of the gameplay aids and devices optional (ie toggable) would be a good idea.

Just forget about the more xp thing though. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, I thnk you guys are right.

In fact, I played FO3 with a mod that made major reductions to XP and increased the XP required for additonal levels for the exact reason that less XP made the game more fun (and more challenging).

So I stand corrected on the more xp thing.

Still I think making a lot of the gameplay aids and devices optional (ie toggable) would be a good idea.

Just forget about the more xp thing though. :)

A couple of those are actually already toggable through the .ini files (compass and quest marker if I remember correctly) not to mention the ****load of mods.. problem is, only few quests give you directions in Fallout 3 so I ended up returning to the normal interface.

Bethesda ****ed up a bit with the xp and levelling in Fallout 3, you can hit the cap without much effort and barely see 40% of the game, you could argue this is to allow multiple playthroughs but things really don't pan out all that differently, nuke Megaton vs don't nuke Megaton is about the biggest crossroad available.

The Darnified UI mod was brilliant for customising the interface, quest arrow be gone.

I was going to stand corrected on the respawning enemies thing. It's really just raiders, and wandering monsters. Every other bastard stays dead.

EDIT: Enclave respawn but they get flown in, so I don't mind so much. And no-one knows where all the super mutants come from so that's fine too.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I remember them talking about having landmarks to tell where you were in the dessert in a review, so playing with out waypoints could work, depending on how much they focused on it and how concise the directions are.

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I remember them talking about having landmarks to tell where you were in the dessert in a review, so playing with out waypoints could work, depending on how much they focused on it and how concise the directions are.

That could've worked in Fallout 3 too, it's just that they took the easy way and simply put a mark on your pipboy most of the time.

i think sawyer and co. should really consider adding a couple treasure maps in the game which require you to follow landmarks and clues to find goodies (no compass hints), there was at least one of these in bethfallout and it was fun, and red dead redemption has done this too and its a popular little diversion that adds a lot of flavor

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I just hope they really learned the lesson of the DC metro. Backtracking again and again because the pipboy map is crap is just not very fun. If they keep it, definately lose the mazes.

Filler areas in general suck.

I just hope they really learned the lesson of the DC metro. Backtracking again and again because the pipboy map is crap is just not very fun. If they keep it, definately lose the mazes.

Filler areas in general suck.

It's not filler! It has Nuka Colas for that side quest! That guy at the Beth forums told me so, did you forget?!

Also, it's really realistic and no true patriot could help but weep at the feeling of familiarity and loss that the destroyed metro of DC evokes. You traitor!

Edited by Oner

I happen to like a challenge, and the metro tunnels were nothing if not a challenge. I have just finished my fourth playthrough and I still have only the vaguest grasp of them. Surely that's a good thing?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.