Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

I'm wondering about what benefit will have in gameplay the ability of cooking :thumbsup:

Considering it's Josh we're talking about I doubt he'd have added a skill that he didn't feel was important to the gameplay, and considering hardcore mode etc. seems to hint at the survival feeling being more prominent in this game compared to Fallout 3.

Maybe there is alot of a food that heals you rather well but needs to be cooked, or poisoned food, maybe it could also be used for crafting new weapons(if that has been confirmed) like neededing to "cook" that radscorpion tail in order to use it in the dart gun.

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

Cooking some weapons, eh? I smell an eXistenz reference.

BoneGun000.jpg

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Survival should have an impact on how far off you hear sounds... and did FO3 have a radar? Man, I can't remember, but if it did it should affect that too.

Cooking is probably like Gothic, cooked food gives you some good HP.

I'm wondering about what benefit will have in gameplay the ability of cooking :shifty:

Considering it's Josh we're talking about I doubt he'd have added a skill that he didn't feel was important to the gameplay, and considering hardcore mode etc. seems to hint at the survival feeling being more prominent in this game compared to Fallout 3.

I think Survival will be similar to Medicine, but for more general survival purposes (hunger, thirst, pathfinding, evasion etc.). I'm guessing it'll be MUCH more important in HC mode, maybe even practically worthless in Normal mode (similar to Outdoorsman from previous games). And that it'll have a close relation with Endurance, similar to the one Science has with Intelligence.

If you're wondering specifically about the "cooking" aspect of it, I guess there'll be food in the game which is inedible unless cooked, and food which gives you more benefits (more HP and/or more "nutrients" :-) when cooked, etc.

edit: Your "cooking" (i.e. Survival) skill might even affect your relations with your companions... ;)

Survival should have an impact on how far off you hear sounds... and did FO3 have a radar? Man, I can't remember, but if it did it should affect that too.

Cooking is probably like Gothic, cooked food gives you some good HP.

FO3 did have a radar, and it had a direct relation with your Perception.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, maybe in Normal mode Survival skill will affect some HUD elements (like the radar, which will probably be left out in HC mode) to compensate for the lack of more obvious / realistic survival skills (like hunger) that are present in HC mode. Would be a good way to give the skill more balance & value in Normal mode...

Edited by Nemo0071

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Fallout 3 had a compass with red hashes for enemies in perception range.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe you can distill water with Survival.

Shouldn't that be Science? About 30-40 Science?

:-

Maybe you could use both? Meaning using Science you know exactly what you're doing theoretically while if you use survival it's simply experience/being taught by someone else.

If there's something PnP taught me is that skills don't need to be completely separate in their purpose.

Hopefully Tag skills will be returned to the Fallout1/2 implementation. SO they are actually a significant long-term game-affecting choice.

Yeah, I know Bethesda hates stuff like that, but maybe Obs doesn't.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What about using survival to harvest water from plantlife? Water-bearing cacti are one of the primary sources of water in deserts like the mohave.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

I thought having to deal with food/drink/sleep etc was too old skool for today's gamers.

Did a paradigm shift happen when I wasn't looking?

I thought having to deal with food/drink/sleep etc was too old skool for today's gamers.

Not for me, I definately wont be playing in "Hardcore" mode. That crap is just tediously annoying to me.

Edited by Gfted1

Not for me, I definately wont be playing in "Hardcore" mode. That crap is just tediously annoying to me.

Totally understandable. I was surprised by the fact that it was being discussed in any sort of positive way.

It actually added to the gameplay, in some sort of way.

I just dont get that immersed in a game I guess. To me, having a mechanic that offers no benefit (only penalties) and boils down to eat X every Y or you will die just becomes a busywork chore and detracts from the experience. I get that its more "realistic" but meh, I like my games to be fun, not work.