how i plan to play alpha protocol

20-30 hours for an RPG is quite good, but when you look at (dare I say it) Bioware games, or even Bethesda games, it seems to be the norm to make the single player that long. Okay, so you CAN get through a Bethesda RPG in just a couple hours if you just do the main quest, but their games are more of messing around and doing the side quests rather then just doing the main story.

But if the 20-30 hour set is if you just do the main story and no side quests then I will be a very happy person.

20-30 hours for an RPG is quite good, but when you look at (dare I say it) Bioware games, or even Bethesda games, it seems to be the norm to make the single player that long. Okay, so you CAN get through a Bethesda RPG in just a couple hours if you just do the main quest, but their games are more of messing around and doing the side quests rather then just doing the main story.

But if the 20-30 hour set is if you just do the main story and no side quests then I will be a very happy person.

Alpha Protocol seems to be a LOT more non-linear when it comes to decision, and promises dramatically altered game experience based on your build and story choices.

So 20-30 hour seems a pretty good length if you ask me (after all, Fallout 1 was much shorter).

Frankly considering the amount of C&C Obsidian is promising, 20 to 30 hours would be amazing.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've been thinking about where that "32 endings" thing came from, and I came up with a quick calcul : 6 main factions, lets say one really appreciates you, another one really despises you. That makes for 30 differents combinations, and just as many endings. Add in the option of being a lone wolf (nobody likes you) or a social butterfly (many people like you), and you have those basics 32 endings.

That's ridiculous, to think so much about it, he :( ?

I've been thinking about where that "32 endings" thing came from, and I came up with a quick calcul : 6 main factions, lets say one really appreciates you, another one really despises you. That makes for 30 differents combinations, and just as many endings. Add in the option of being a lone wolf (nobody likes you) or a social butterfly (many people like you), and you have those basics 32 endings.

That's ridiculous, to think so much about it, he :( ?

I guess going by Avellone's description it will be similar to how Fallout's ending is done, mainly separate 'endings' that intertwine in different combinations. Or at least that's what he was talking about at the AVPodcast.

And I'm perfectly happy with that, especially since it appears that C&C will mean consequence IN the game too (something even gems like Fallout didn't manage particularly well).

Of course the PR will count every single different variation just for hype.

It's probably the safest to begin from the FO-style slide endings, then think about 1 for each hub (at least), 1 for each major character such as Sie or Mina Tang (at least), 1 for what happens to Mike, 1 for what happens to Leland, a few more for plot-centric events, then add in more permutations and variations (or not).

Or, there's the possibility that instead of just letting each variable produce a 'slide' and having the slides combine to produce a permutation, the game actually takes account of the choices you've made throughout the game, COMBINES them, then produces an ending that is tailored for that combination. i.e. in the FO model the ending you get for the Hub and the ending you get for the Necropolis are independent of each other (thus 4 different permutations). But if Obsidian really wants this to be about C&C and reactivity, then it might be more complicated...

To give you an idea of the replayability: There are 12 hours of cinematics recorded for the game. At most, you'll experience 4 hours in one playthrough. That's three playthroughs to see all of the cinematic content, with none of it overlapping. In actuality, you'll probably have to play 4+ times to see all of it, and that's just the cinematics.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Just be aware, these claims are always fudged a bit, especially with RPG. Dragon Age was supposed to take 80 to play through at one point :D The 'hundreds of endings' of Fallout 3 has already been discussed as well.

I'm sure there's some overlap on these cutscenes, or that some just alter slightly from play to play.

Don't rightly know why it took me so much time.

Well, my party was a tad underpowered, died a lot at some places, but I don't think "reloaded" time is measured. I've ran back and forth between places a lot. Can't think of any other time wasters.

Endings wise, wasn't it said that there's something like 5 principle endings.. but each one of those has variations within it.. sort of 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C etc.... So that's going to be where all the choice & consequences blend in together on the ending...

If you think about it, they've been pumping it more as the choice & consequences having an effect in the middle (ie, during the playthrough) more then for the big finale and how it ends.. :ermm:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

DA took me 33 hours.

ME2 about 16 hours.

AP will probably be 15 hours or so.

Il took me 76 hours to complete Mass Effect 2 (how did you get it done in just 16 hours? :ermm: ).

20-30 hours will mean at least 50 for me, on my first playthrough only. It sounds awesome to me ^^

Edited by ginji

Some gamers like to rush into games and avoid side or optional quest ...i remember that a gamer from xbox forum beat ME2 in 2 days . I am not saying that the case with Morgoth...but i know some gamers will do the same with AP to say later the game was short ; like many did with FO3. Always happens IMO. :ermm:

I take my time with my games but I honestly have *no* idea how anyone could squeeze out 76 hours from ME2 on a single playthrough. I think my time was around 30 hours or so, a bit under. If AP is similar but have the great replayability then it's gonna be great.

Something that I really disagree with many RPG fans on is the notion that RPGs should be long. I can't think of any "epic length" game where the devs have managed to keep the steam up throughout the entire game. I'd much rather have games like Fallout 1, which are short, have very few dips in quality (it's pretty damn consistent) and with great replayability.

That's not to say long RPGs are bad because of that. I greatly enjoyed sinking my teeth into Dragon Age for example. But even so, there's a rather huge amount of the game that I would've rather had them cut out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I take my time with my games but I honestly have *no* idea how anyone could squeeze out 76 hours from ME2 on a single playthrough. I think my time was around 30 hours or so, a bit under. If AP is similar but have the great replayability then it's gonna be great.

Something that I really disagree with many RPG fans on is the notion that RPGs should be long. I can't think of any "epic length" game where the devs have managed to keep the steam up throughout the entire game. I'd much rather have games like Fallout 1, which are short, have very few dips in quality (it's pretty damn consistent) and with great replayability.

That's not to say long RPGs are bad because of that. I greatly enjoyed sinking my teeth into Dragon Age for example. But even so, there's a rather huge amount of the game that I would've rather had them cut out.

Well, I've done almost everything, but I have no idea how I managed to get 76 hours, too :ermm: (I've completed the first ME in less than 40 hours).

Personally, I think that an rpg MUST be long. It's not only because rpgs are "epic" (I suggest to play Steambot Chronicles, a wonderful PS2 game that isn't absolutely epic but lasted MONTHS on my console!), but also because they're the only genre that can give this kind of experience. To be clear, games nowadays are becoming shorter and shorter, so if I want to seriously immerse myself in some gaming world I only have RPGs.

Well, I've done almost everything, but I have no idea how I managed to get 76 hours, too :p (I've completed the first ME in less than 40 hours).

Personally, I think that an rpg MUST be long. It's not only because rpgs are "epic" (I suggest to play Steambot Chronicles, a wonderful PS2 game that isn't absolutely epic but lasted MONTHS on my console!), but also because they're the only genre that can give this kind of experience. To be clear, games nowadays are becoming shorter and shorter, so if I want to seriously immerse myself in some gaming world I only have RPGs.

Steambot Chronicles, isn't that a JRPG with mini-games and a dating sim?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thought experiment: Lockstep Moodswing Thorton-- A strict rotation of stance choices. Pick one to start with, and, at each subsequent decision point, use the next one around the circle from the option most recently used. Repeat until endgame.

hahahaha wow i thought of doing that too....im gonna do it for sure. Not on my first playthrough though.

First time through ill be loud but stealthy...pick guys off with unsilenced weapons to draw others into investigating and killing them aswell.

Edited by Jokerman89