New XCOM game

That wasn't a lamp. :p

Anyway, although I'm disappointed by how the 1950s seem to dominate all styling at the moment, I have to concede that in terms of fighting aliens it kind of works. Personally I think they should have gone with the 1980s.

20s-30s or bust.

That wasn't impressive. Not that screenies matter so much, but it didn't look very good regardless. If that's their "best foot" at this moment, it looks like Generic Shooter Number 1982645463.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That wasn't impressive. Not that screenies matter so much, but it didn't look very good regardless. If that's their "best foot" at this moment, it looks like Generic Shooter Number 1982645463.

I'm not too happy with the 50s style myself. Somehow I was hoping they'd make this X-Com Alliance thing again. You know, future setting, SWAT style squad with full control, and fighting real aliens, not just goo.

But it's too early to be pessimistic.

It's never too early to be pessimistic. I agree they should have gone the Alliance route, was pretty cool the idea of the squad cameras and so on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok, now I have a bad feeling about this...

I'm kind of disappointed with the 50's theme myself, I was expecting some wacky futuristic stuff... :p

But goo as aliens? All over? I hope that's not the best this game will have to offer...

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

But it's too early to be pessimistic.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love it if the game were a great action/shooter/other stuff game. Haven't played one in quite a while. I'm just repsondinng to what I've seen, which isnt much. And what's been said, which is just empty words at this point.

It doesn't matter to me if the game is squad TB or action/shooter as long as its good. I like both genres and probably like System Shock action-type games more so than TB squad combat/

But, the truth is, if this game weren't called XCOM, this thread wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be talking about the game like we are. It woudl just be another in-development game barely worth a mention at this point. Which is obviously why they choose the name XCOM in the first place.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Wait, wasn't the original XCOM about space marines vs lizard-men?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It was about managing humanity's last-ditch effort to fight off the advanced alien invasion already in progress. A desperate struggle against the odds with you being out-manned, out-gunned and having vastly inferior technology.

It did also have lizard men, among other things.

Hm...Skaven vs Imperial Fists.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 1 month later...
Looks interesting to me :)

Of course, I never played any of the old Xcom games, so I guess that leaves me a bit unbiased. :)

You really need to work on your bias, otherwise you can't hate this next gen abomination properly :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Of course, I never played any of the old Xcom games, so I guess that leaves me a bit unbiased. :)

You really need to work on your bias, otherwise you can't hate this next gen abomination properly :)

Seriously. They brought this series back for... a cartoonish fps starring the black blob from startrek as the antagonist?

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Seriously. They brought this series back for... a cartoonish fps starring the black blob from startrek as the antagonist?

Hey, I've done my civic duty and hated this game duly from page one of this thread:

Epic Fail! :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think it looks great. I'm a huge fan of the originals and I still hope for a TB strategy game some day, but this looks like a very promising FPS with a neat setting. I admit the black goo looks a bit odd, but hopefully they will also have the more traditional aliens to blast.

Holy crap, that trailer was bad. Who cares about the title, it was just baaad.

It amazes me that anyone would contend that games are better now than they were ten years ago. Amazes me to no end.