New XCOM game

I dunno, never played the first one and - if its a straight shooter probably won't play the new one. But can't say I'm offended by its existence.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There are supposedly two Xcom games in the works, so I still expect a more strategic version eventually. The other one has been tied to Sid Meier in rumors, so that further improves the odds it will feature the classic formula.

I'm still interested in this title, the research element is interesting. It will not be a first day buy for me, but I'll see how it is received.

Xcom: Enforcer already tackled the FPS genre in the universe, too.

official PR

"About 2K Marin: With sister studios in Novato, California and Canberra, Australia, 2K Marin is a 2K development studio focused on creating new IP and expanding proven franchises for 2K Games."

It's like all these PR guys go to the same school to learn how to use the same words in the same order. Utter drivel as usual.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Can't anyone just finish Dune Nukem Forever?

tumbleweedthroughghostt.jpg

i would gladly offer my firstborn for this...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I have a big bag of hate for this already.

And it's not a grognard reflex response, either. I have nothing against FPS per se. But...

1. XCOM is a squad-based game. That's the whole point. It's like making a video game out of chess where you're a Knight and can only zig-zag, until of course you level up to Bishop.

2. the XCOM game-world isn't exactly detailed or super-special, it's just earth under attack from aliens. Pretty basic. Pretty generic. Made awesome by the tactical TB squad-based combat and the exploration / tech research.

So, this is nothing but trading in on the name of a once-great but now dead franchise. It's cynical, but hey this is the gaming industry. As the man said, make a great FPS, amke it about alien invasions, make it great... and call it something else.

Remember the Command & Conquer FPS? :lol:

sonsofgygax.JPG

Remember the Command & Conquer FPS? :x

Hey! Renegade was a lot of fun, especially in multiplayer. Also it had some awesome music. :thumbsup:

I hope you don't mean

, because that looked fantastic.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

2k Australia/ Irrational Australia is definitely the lead, and had been working on an XCOM title since before Bioshock was released. The 2k Marin thing is because they've stuffed up their namings with 2k Boston returning to Irrational (a name not associated with Bioshock), and they've made the not unreasonable assumption that the Bioshock name appeals more to the typical 360er than Freedom Force or System Shock 2. It's all a bit silly as IG Aus worked on both Bioshocks and suspended their work on their own title (xcom) while they did so but well, marketing.

I would not hold my breath for a Firaxis based strategy xcom title.

But why not just make it a new franchise?

Why not?

Why make it a new franchise?

Why make a new IP when they've got an old one they could use? What's the downside to using the XCOM name?

wait, what?

I haven't even posted my response to this bit of news yet.

Tig seems to have gotten us confused. I have never been so offended in my life.

Hey, avatar of gruff guy with facial hair, avatar of gruff guy with facial hair. :p

Why make it a new franchise?

Because it is a new franchise. Sticking on the name is cynical and pointless.

Because it is a new franchise.

While you can have an opinion on what you would like the IP to be, even what you think it should be, you don't get to decide what it is. The owners do.

The franchise already features games in a variety of genres, and reinvention doesn't require new IP. Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight is not Tim Burton's Batman, but they aren't completely separate IPs.

Sticking on the name is cynical and pointless.

Well, that's like your opinion, man, but I what I was really asking for was a reason it would be better for 2K to make it a new franchise, and so far you you haven't really given anything more meaningful than "because I say so".

There have been numerous attempts to recapture the magic of games like X-com and JA2, but so far none have come close to the originals. Games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, however, show how successful something so different from the originals can be.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Remember the Command & Conquer FPS? :p

Yes... The multiplayer was awesome, the only problem was, it was realy ahead of its's time... 10+ vs 10+ matches (the only way how you could have fun with this game) at that time was rare even in counterstrike... Single player just sucked walrus balls...

Games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, however, show how successful something so different from the originals can be.

Fallout 3 at least sticked to the RPG roots...

Games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, however, show how successful something so different from the originals can be.

Well Fallout 3 was at least attempting to stay true to the originals, we can disagree about the success of that but Bethesda at least tried to follow the first two games, and Far cry 2 was a FPS like Far Cry 1 so that's not a huge change either.

:p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I actually think that Bethesda's tried to stay as close as they possibly could to the originals, they're just not good at designing combat systems (especially non-RT) so they focused on the exploration and the storyline (sadly they weren't good at storyline either).

As for Far Cry 2, I didn't play either one, but they're both FPS so I don't understand the comparison. :p

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

There have been numerous attempts to recapture the magic of games like X-com and JA2, but so far none have come close to the originals. Games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2, however, show how successful something so different from the originals can be.

Fallout 3 was hardly something completely different from the originals in the way that an FPS X-Com is likely to be. What made Fallout what it was? Arguably, it was the world setting, the lore, the characters. It was all the fluff behind the scenes that defined what Fallout was rather than the clunky isometric turn based combat. Whether Fallout 3 managed to capture those aspects is up to the individual, but there was nothing inherent in the switch to FPS combat that said it couldn't be a good Fallout game.

I can't really speak for Far Cry 2 so much as I haven't played either entry in the series. My knowledge is mostly limited to both of them being FPS games and FC2 being a giant sandbox with some neat healing animations. Was there any story or world connection between the two titles?

Trying to take X-Com and turn it into an FPS won't be nearly as easy nor as likely as the transition was for Fallout. X-Com doesn't have the benefit of all the fluff that Fallout had. X-Com was about the gameplay. What was the setting? It was more or less present day Earth. Absolutely nothing special about that. The only characters you ever met were panicked civilians or hostile aliens. X-Com was about the combination of the turn based squad combat and the overall management of your alien fighting organization covering research, recruitment, construction and more.

Is it impossible to take what made X-Com great and transplant it into an FPS? No. Is it likely? Again, I'd say no. The management aspect is likely to either be completely glossed over, eliminating half of what made the original worth playing, or be over-simplified with a linear progression that never changes (IE, you always get plasma rifles after mission 4). The combat sections are likely to be fast paced arcade shooting action. We don't know for sure what exactly it's going to be like at the moment so I'll refrain from going all doom and gloom just yet, but looking at the way the market has been going these past few years, it doesn't exactly leave me very hopeful.

there was nothing inherent in the switch to FPS combat that said it couldn't be a good Fallout game.

Dozens of angry fans disagree.

Was there any story or world connection between the two titles?

No. They're both FPS but one is level based sci-fi shenanigans and the other is open world in a realistic setting. They're similar in the same way that all FPS games are similar. Far Cry is closer to Crysis than it's own sequel.

X-Com was about the combination of the turn based squad combat and the overall management of your alien fighting organization covering research, recruitment, construction and more.

That's what the good X-Com games were about, but the franchise as a whole has included games of different genres.

When looking around for proper X-COM games, i found this opensource project... it even runs on Linux machines...

http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Home

maybe some of you would like it...

what I was really asking for was a reason it would be better for 2K to make it a new franchise

What you're wanting is a business reason, a reason that would go over in their board meeting. There isn't one, its almost guaranteed to attract more attention and sales. That's why everyone's into pillaging old franchises these days. Doesn't mean I'm going to say "oh that's fine, of course they got to earn as much money as they can".

Fallout 3 was hardly something completely different from the originals in the way that an FPS X-Com is likely to be. What made Fallout what it was? Arguably, it was the world setting, the lore, the characters. It was all the fluff behind the scenes that defined what Fallout was rather than the clunky isometric turn based combat. Whether Fallout 3 managed to capture those aspects is up to the individual, but there was nothing inherent in the switch to FPS combat that said it couldn't be a good Fallout game.

Except the legions of fans who decried that Fallout could only ever be Fallout provided it was turn-based and isometric.

Trying to take X-Com and turn it into an FPS won't be nearly as easy nor as likely as the transition was for Fallout. X-Com doesn't have the benefit of all the fluff that Fallout had. X-Com was about the gameplay. What was the setting? It was more or less present day Earth. Absolutely nothing special about that. The only characters you ever met were panicked civilians or hostile aliens. X-Com was about the combination of the turn based squad combat and the overall management of your alien fighting organization covering research, recruitment, construction and more.

In a FPS are you any more likely to meet characters who aren't panicked civilians?

And if they flesh out the setting to make it more interesting...is that a bad thing?

Is it impossible to take what made X-Com great and transplant it into an FPS? No. Is it likely? Again, I'd say no. The management aspect is likely to either be completely glossed over, eliminating half of what made the original worth playing, or be over-simplified with a linear progression that never changes (IE, you always get plasma rifles after mission 4). The combat sections are likely to be fast paced arcade shooting action. We don't know for sure what exactly it's going to be like at the moment so I'll refrain from going all doom and gloom just yet, but looking at the way the market has been going these past few years, it doesn't exactly leave me very hopeful.

The problem is - and this is just my opinion - that you're getting stuck on game mechanics as the sole definition of the game.

A fleshed out XCOM game that is a shooter and good is still a good game, yes? It may not be what you want, but objectively is a company making a good game a bad idea?

Either XCom is a game idea (humans vs aliens with particular specific designs) or its a game mechanic ("turn based squad combat and the overall management of your ... organization"), And if its only a game mechanic, I can't see why the games are all that popular given that a few years ago there were dozens of good, bad and ugly turn based squad combat games.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The concept of Xcom isn't really all that strong, it's a fairly generic concept, and the different games in the series have been very inconsistent when it came to setting and art. People played them for the TB combat and the strategic level.

If you played Fallout for the TB combat, where a rat took 4 turns to run towards you and then tried to bite your ankle while you unloaded pistol rounds into the ground, then I feel sorry for you.