Healthcare in America

Humodour

Skipping the entire thread... What LoF originally posted was just Marxist fan-fic, so here's some capitalist stuff:

AtlasShrugged.jpg

Except Rand makes rather more intelligent arguments...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

You don't seriously believe either of them make any kind of sense, do you?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

My point exactly... and that was supposed to go into the other thread... whoops...

While I do like Rand's philosophy, the book itself is a trainwreck... WT* kind of brilliant physicist/inventor lives in a hut and has a cult of genius industrialists following him?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Right, so have we finally established that the only people opposed to universal healthcare in America are those like Gfted who are happy to see others suffer as long as they pay less taxes?

No, small business owners are rightfully worried that it is going to be a cost that they can't take in an already fragile economy.

I'm sure that some are. But from what I understand, small businesses are the ones who are hurting the most in the current system-- at least the ones who provide health insurance to their employees. Without a particularly large group to pool risk, smaller businesses looking for insurers to offer them policies are seeing very high premiums. Once the law kicks in, they'll generally be some of the biggest beneficiaries, in that they'll have access to larger-group rates through exchanges.

I've seen the difficulty my father has had in this since going into business for himself. His business employs only him and my mother, and she has a pre-existing condition (lupus) that makes health insurers very nervous. Buying policies on the 'individual' or small-group market is very expensive-- in the early years when the business was just getting off the ground, they had some real difficulties finding someone to cover them (us, really, as I was a minor covered under the family plan at the time) and paying the rates they were offered.

While I do like Rand's philosophy, the book itself is a trainwreck... WT* kind of brilliant physicist/inventor lives in a hut and has a cult of genius industrialists following him?

The kind of brilliant physicist who tells power crazed egomaniacs that everything they do is right?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just read that link to Ayn Rand. That is some stone cold insane s***. I mean grade A loopylaloser. People seriously follow this woman? He [a man Rand admired deeply] cut a girl in half, sewed her eyelids open, and threw her at her father AFTER he paid her ransom in full and on time?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Skipping the entire thread... What LoF originally posted was just Marxist fan-fic, so here's some capitalist stuff:

AtlasShrugged.jpg

Except Rand makes rather more intelligent arguments...

Wrong book, this is the correct one. The guy even recieved the Nobel price in economics.

41qbopf4iel_f2fd5e79.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

'The peasants are revolting!'

'So tell me something I don't know!'

Always cracks me up...

-Elwood Blues

The kind of brilliant physicist who tells power crazed egomaniacs that everything they do is right?

Well, everything they do is right, but I won't get into that...

Democrats express safety concerns after protests

Mar 24, 3:25 PM (ET)

By JIM ABRAMS

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democratic leaders on Wednesday said they are concerned about the personal safety of lawmakers because of threats linked to intense opposition to the health care overhaul law.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., said the FBI and Capitol Police briefed Democrats on how to handle perceived security threats and that those who feel they are at risk will be "getting attention from the proper authorities."

Hoyer said more than 10 Democratic lawmakers have reported incidents, but he did not whether any are now receiving added security. Normally only those in leadership positions have personal security guards.

Protests swirled around the Capitol during debate on the health care overhaul last weekend. Protesters hurled racial slurs at several black lawmakers and one protester spat at a black lawmaker.

Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, the Democratic whip and a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus, said he has vivid memories of history and that the scene on the street Saturday was "very reminiscent of our history."

Bricks were thrown through windows at two Democratic Party offices in western New York, including a district office of Rep. Louise Slaughter, who played a key role in getting the health care bill through the House.

The Tucson, Ariz., congressional office of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was also vandalized a few hours after the House vote.

Hoyer said there were incidents such as people yelling that Democratic lawmakers should be put on firing lines and posters with the faces of lawmakers in the crosshairs of a target.

While not directly criticizing Republicans, Hoyer said that "any show of appreciation for such actions encourages such action."

Several Republicans stood on the second-floor Speaker's Balcony overlooking the West Front of the Capitol cheering on the protesters and waving signs such as "Kill the bill."

Hoyer said Democrats were talking to the Republican leadership and hoped to come up with a united front on the security issue.

House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio said in a statement that while many Americans are angry over passage of the health care bill, "violence and threats are unacceptable.

"That's not the American way," Boehner said. "We need to take that anger and channel it into positive change."

:sweat:

Um... Sando, you do realise that Civil War this time won't involve you sitting on a horse and grumbling into an extravagant moustache?

I do agree with Gfted1 that voicing security concerns, when Congress is already effectively the biggest bullseye in the World is laughable.

-Elwood Blues

My gut-feeling is telling me that things were much more intense during the civil rights-era. It will pass.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My gut-feeling is telling me that things were much more intense during the civil rights-era. It will pass.

This is just the beginning stirrings. I am betting within 5 to 15 years we will have home grown terrorists that will make what McVeigh did seem like a Fourth of July celebration.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

If we do end up in a civil break, I'd put the blame mostly on Rupert Murdoch and his spin machine of warmongers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Um... Sando, you do realise that Civil War this time won't involve you sitting on a horse and grumbling into an extravagant moustache?

Dangit, that'd be the only reason I'd participate!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Democrats express safety concerns after protests

Mar 24, 3:25 PM (ET)

By JIM ABRAMS

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democratic leaders on Wednesday said they are concerned about the personal safety of lawmakers because of threats linked to intense opposition to the health care overhaul law.

-Snip-

:p

Racial slurs, threats on peoples lives, throwing bricks and violence because people are unhappy with a bill..

You seriously find that amusing?

Fortune favors the bald.

Of course he does. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he participated. I'm betting that he will be cheering when the first death happens or if someone takes a pot shot at Obama.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."