Infinity Ward founders canned by Activision

They're like unappreciated heroes, saving the world from itself one bad fan-made sequel at a time.

Some day, many years from now, we will realize that and build Bobby Kotick a giant statue.

One that can be seen from the Alps, situated in Berlin, just like his mentor planned for himself.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

They're like unappreciated heroes, saving the world from itself one bad fan-made sequel at a time.

Some day, many years from now, we will realize that and build Bobby Kotick a giant statue.

One that can be seen from the Alps, situated in Berlin, just like his mentor planned for himself.

HEY!

You leave Ashton Kucher out of this!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It's done

Mw2_zakhaev_2.jpg

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Disgusting, they'd have IW spewing Modern Warfare games for the rest of the decade. EA school of milking the cow.

Off topic: I wonder why Blizzard chose to merge (IIRC?) with Activision. You would think that with their money they wouldn't need Activision at all.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Disgusting, they'd have IW spewing Modern Warfare games for the rest of the decade. EA school of milking the cow.

Off topic: I wonder why Blizzard chose to merge (IIRC?) with Activision. You would think that with their money they wouldn't need Activision at all.

Blizzard was owned by Vivendi, so they didn't really had a choice when those two giants merged.

Blizzard was owned by Vivendi, so they didn't really had a choice when those two giants merged.

Hmm. I thought Blizzard was an independent developer and publisher. :p

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

im sure mr. satan would love more than anything to start pumping out annual starcraft and diablo sequels

activision strategy = strip mining

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

im sure mr. satan would love more than anything to start pumping out annual starcraft and diablo sequels

activision strategy = strip mining

Wouldn't surprise me if that came to be in a few years time.

Seriously, Kotick sounds like he belongs in the auto industry.

Yet as things stand they can't make another Modern Warfare without IW. IMO they are just trying to armstrong them into making it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

the guys who make modern warfare are good at what they do, regardless of one's feelings about the games, they are very well made pieces of entertainment. I hope that they form another studio, make a lucrative deal with a more reasonable publisher, and proceed to release more quality work unfettered by the limitations imposed on them by mr. satan.

i feel similarly about this news that i did when i heard that bungie was beeing freed from microsoft = hopeful for future quality work on par with myth instead of 5 more halo games.

... still waiting... still hopeful for bungie of yesteryear to return :lol:

of course infinity ward is nowhere near as dear to my heart as oldschool bungie, but still, i hope these guys can move on and make something really awesome under a different publisher

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Did you actually see the "story" from the latest one? They're certainly not good at that.

I can see having a lame story with good gameplay, but that was downright distracting.

i actually liked the story in a kitsch way. it was like a mashup of michael bay-isms. if it was done with just a tinge of self awareness and some tongue-in-cheek humor, the story could have been genius....

as it was it was just silly, but it was silly enough to be funny and really, i think they were aware they jumped the shark from the moment "Wolverines!" popped up on screen...

Did you actually see the "story" from the latest one? They're certainly not good at that.

I can see having a lame story with good gameplay, but that was downright distracting.

i actually liked the story in a kitsch way. it was like a mashup of michael bay-isms. if it was done with just a tinge of self awareness and some tongue-in-cheek humor, the story could have been genius....

as it was it was just silly, but it was silly enough to be funny and really, i think they were aware they jumped the shark from the moment "Wolverines!" popped up on screen...

And if it didn't have the noob-tube the multiplayer would actually be balanced...

As it was it was a bunch of ridiculously random(and "EPIC") set pieces tied together with what could only be called fan fiction, written by a horde of 13-year old Tom Clancy fans.

Edited by Purkake

13 year old Red Dawn fans are ok in my books :lol:

And if it didn't have the noob-tube the multiplayer would actually be balanced...

As it was it was a bunch of ridiculously random(and "EPIC") set pieces tied together with what could only be called fan fiction, written by a horde of 13-year old Tom Clancy fans.

And just what is wrong with that? I admit to their overuse of "epicness" or their attempts at it, yet as much as these moments took me out the story still made sense.

village_idiot.gif

Really? Russia attacking the US via air, undetected and winning(or at least getting to Washington) and because of a single suspected terrorist act?

Just having an expanded special ops mode and multiplayer would have more than sufficed, adding that fever dream of a story just detracted from the whole experience. Sure if you put enough money into something, it will be at least somewhat coherent, but think of what they could have done.

Even the cheapest B movies manage to have a followable plot, this seems to be the very definition to too many cooks spoiling the soup.

Edited by Purkake

Really? Russia attacking the US via air, undetected and winning(or at least getting to Washington) and because of a single suspected terrorist act?

Just having an expanded special ops mode and multiplayer would have more than sufficed, adding that fever dream of a story just detracted from the whole experience. Sure if you put enough money into something, it will be at least somewhat coherent, but think of what they could have done.

Even the cheapest B movies manage to have a followable plot, this seems to be the very definition to too many cooks spoiling the soup.

Russia had been overtaken by the ultranationalists from the first game, the ACS module that Soap had to recover had been cracked. All things explainable, maybe lost on you.

village_idiot.gif

Being ulatranationalist shouldn't make a whole country that stupid.

USA's only method of detecting an attack is a satellite network?

It's just ridiculous, and not the intentional self-referencing kind.

Being Ultranationalist is being an extremist, the cases in the past where extremism has been involved have been violent. Just think of them like LoF overcaffeinated and with a gun.

I don't know if that's the only method, but hey it's a blockbuster plot.

In the 60's the plot would have been the day after tomorrow.

village_idiot.gif