FO:NV: The Return of Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Pidesco

"Craning" up to reveal the city is already a very Leone type of thing to do, then it re-frames on a gunslinger in an old duster. That plus the desert, the cacti, and the crosses definitely re-assert the series' Western vibe. I am happy to see that!

I think anyone who liked the first games is glad to see the NCR referenced in the first big piece of marketing.

Now there are many questions. The robot looks like it could be an NPC that emotes by switching faces on its TV. That would be fun idea (I'd wonder if its coincidentally similar to the Kevin Spacey-bot in Moon.)

How much of the "game world" will be made of the actual city of New Vegas? It looks huge in the teaser.

"Craning" up to reveal the city is already a very Leone type of thing to do, then it re-frames on a gunslinger in an old duster. That plus the desert, the cacti, and the crosses definitely re-assert the series' Western vibe. I am happy to see that!

I think anyone who liked the first games is glad to see the NCR referenced in the first big piece of marketing.

Now there are many questions. The robot looks like it could be an NPC that emotes by switching faces on its TV. That would be fun idea (I'd wonder if its coincidentally similar to the Kevin Spacey-bot in Moon.)

How much of the "game world" will be made of the actual city of New Vegas? It looks huge in the teaser.

The screen snapping between happy and psycho cowboy made me giggle a bit.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

So, with roughly 1,5 years development time (just like Kotor2), will we get another unfinished game? Does Obsidian feel they can handle the planned scope in such a short time?

But even then, an unfinished Vegas will prolly be better than Beth's F3 anyway.

KotOR 2 only had 13 months.

So, with roughly 1,5 years development time (just like Kotor2), will we get another unfinished game? Does Obsidian feel they can handle the planned scope in such a short time?

And when did Obsidian sign the deal with Beth? That was April 2009 I think. That makes 16-17 months development time.

If I've got my info straight, F3 had about a year and a half of development time - principal production started when Oblivion was fully wrapped. Oblivion dropped in April 2007, Fallout 3 in late October 2008.

And when did Obsidian sign the deal with Beth? That was April 2009 I think. That makes 16-17 months development time.

April 20th. I remember it well. My temperament at the time could be described as "ffffffffffffffffffff", for a number of reasons.

But Obsidz knew it was gonna make a Fallout game February at the latest - that's when Josh started logging mad Fallout 3 hours.

If I've got my info straight, F3 had about a year and a half of development time - principal production started when Oblivion was fully wrapped. Oblivion dropped in April 2007, Fallout 3 in late October 2008.

They had a different team for the Oblivion addons. Pre-production of F3 started in 2004 I think when Beth aquired the license. F3 was definately a lot longer in development.

How much of that time was engine building, though? The engine must've been functional by 2006 at the very latest. Obsidz has a fully established toolset from go.

Also keep in mind we don't know how long Obsidz had been doing concept stuff pre-signing. There's some evidence to suggest they knew the deal was happening some time before it did.

Edited by Pop

How much of that time was engine building, though? The engine must've been functional by 2006 at the very latest. Obsidz has a fully established toolset from go.

Also keep in mind we don't know how long Obsidz had been doing concept stuff pre-signing. There's some evidence to suggest they knew the deal was happening some time before it did.

Yeah, they probably did some milestones before Bethy finally signed the deal. Still, I'm not too confident. Kotor 2 was also based on a finished engine, after all...

It's sad though. The "Meet the devs" thread over at the Bethesda forums has probably had more OEI dev posts in this short time than this forum has had since the beginning.

OK, exaggeration, but still... :shifty:

That thread is also intended to be a "meet and greet", not for sharing any info about the game (which we're not able to do here or there). If you guys ever have any personal questions for Obsid developers that you'd like to ask on our forums, you can always feel free to post them in the Obsidian General board and we'll be sure to hit them up.

Matthew Rorie

I also have to think that Obsidz learned a lot from its K2 experience. It was the first project for the studio, and K2 simply wasn't scoped as a project that was finishable in the time they were given. With a more manageable gameplan from the beginning (cut mini-games, don't waste time planning the droid planet, whack Disciple, etc.), they could've pulled it off.

Blabby Bethsoft developer go!

Hey Obsidian devs!

- Love your old games!

- Love love your current game! I especially dig the new, more "Western" art direction.

- I'm sorry I didn't comment my code more, but I spent entirely too much time on the forums during Fallout 3. ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/stare.gif) )

:Programmer VANISH!:

So we know the art direction is more "Western".

Blabby Bethsoft developer go!

Hey Obsidian devs!

- Love your old games!

- Love love your current game! I especially dig the new, more "Western" art direction.

- I'm sorry I didn't comment my code more, but I spent entirely too much time on the forums during Fallout 3. ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/stare.gif) )

:Programmer VANISH!:

So we know the art direction is more "Western".

Maybe he means they took out all of the Anime schoolgirls...

I also have to think that Obsidz learned a lot from its K2 experience. It was the first project for the studio, and K2 simply wasn't scoped as a project that was finishable in the time they were given. With a more manageable gameplan from the beginning (cut mini-games, don't waste time planning the droid planet, whack Disciple, etc.), they could've pulled it off.

That's not entirely accurate....

...except for the "learned a lot" part. But I digress.

Matthew Rorie

That's not entirely accurate....

...except for the "learned a lot" part. But I digress.

Fair enough-- I clearly have no inside information about how the development actually went. My core point was simply that Obsidz dealing with a tight schedule back in '04 probably taught them some lessons in dealing with a tight (tyte?) schedule in '09-'10.

It's sad though. The "Meet the devs" thread over at the Bethesda forums has probably had more OEI dev posts in this short time than this forum has had since the beginning.

OK, exaggeration, but still... :shifty:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I've seen Obsidian developer names that has never set foot in these forums even once. They're not even registered here!

It's all very odd. Maybe the Obsidian developers enjoy the rather more.. hmm, 'teen' atmosphere over there than our little place of whiny bastards and repressed hatred?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hehe. :shifty: But to be fair, I'm sure there was some sort of mini-deal struck between Beth and OEI where they'd start a "Meet the devs" thread where some of the guys would introduce themselves. It seemed to be a pretty popular thing before Fallout 3 was released as well if I remember correctly.

But yep, would be fun to have them pop in a bit more here. Josh and Matt are holding down the fort by themselves!

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Oh. My. God.

This is an actual user from the Bethesda board:

I want to start off saying that Fallout 3 has to be one of the best games I have ever played right next to Elder Scrolls IV. All I want from Fallout:Vegas is originality. I want it to look and feel like Fallout. I want more realistic situations and better graphics. I like the looks of the city in the teaser but the video felt like they tried to give it a fallout feeling but failed. Those robots look kind of stupid and useless. Please don't let me down. I love the feeling of fallout and everything about it. I can see the Obsidian look to the video and it scares me. Almost like a bad dream of fallout and nights of the old republic mixed up together. I want freedom and I want it to be as realistic as a video game can get. Try to beat Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption. That game looks next generation. I hope Bethesda knows what i'm saying...
I know what you mean but before that im more focused on having them make us eat and sleep or you get sick and stuff like that. also more scenarios like fallout and oblivion have. I WANT GUILDS IN FALLOUT SO BAD ANYONE ELSE AGREE? mabye gambling games in sin city???
yes exactly! and it would be cool when the game was over you still had a schedule and things to do like quests that never end like in oblivion in the dark brotherhood you still have things to do that makes you want to keep playing on and on and i hope you keep it old school like fallout 3 whats all this new technology they have the new armor looks like it came out of area 51 or something!!!! i like weathered armor its realistic and more badass which brings me to the subject i want my character to scar over time or have wound shots and all that cool stuff. because your lone wanderer isnt a badass without a story of scars
the more i read the more i dont want to buy this game they absolutly nailed the feeling of being a lone wanderer by yourself at 19 trying to survive and figure things out and it was sooo realistic this seems like star wars in a way with the city look and that armor if i saw this teaser without the fallout label i wouldnt think it was fallout that scars me!!!! anyone else feeling like me?????????????????????????///
i am going to buy this game regardless just because its fallout. but i think by the looks of it there are going to be some serious changes and a lot of controversey when this games comes out its foreshadowing almost i can just tell and i dont care if previous people from fallout 2 are on obsidian that was a long time ago they dont know anything i want bethesda to cover this because no one can do it like them i want todd howard on this 24/7
oh mr cool four stars! up yours dont judge me i know what makes a good game and i already said fallout is one of the best games ever i just dont feel right about obsidian so i don't know where you gett off bro but its prob with ur mom hahaha you think ur smart your just nerd dude and fallout 2 and fallout cant compare to fallout 3 because they are complete different games different series even so ur dumb
haha i win i told ur a baby and a geek i dont care at all i have a life unlike u hahahaha

Yes, I can see now why they prefer the Bethesda board over this one.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!