Just saw Avatar

Humodour

The story is cliche and very predictable, but is presented and acted well enough than it doesn't really matter.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

From all descriptions the story is as cliche, trite, and preachy as it can get mushed up by some lame love story.

I get it. All advanced nations are evil incarnate, and all low tech people are pure innocents. *puke*

I think it's more about corporations than advanced nations. In fact, it's much like Aliens in this regard. It has the nameless company, and Giovanni Ribsi's character is pretty much what Paul Reiser did in Aliens. With that, the hypersleep, the exo-suits and the colonial marines, this movie could be taking place in the same universe.

That being said, the only word you got right is cliche. It's handled well.

If I had to try and identify this movie's inspirations, I would say Edgard Rice Burroughs Barsoom series.

From all descriptions the story is as cliche, trite, and preachy as it can get mushed up by some lame love story.

I get it. All advanced nations are evil incarnate, and all low tech people are pure innocents. *puke*

Preachy is exactly the opposite of what it actually is. The story and its basic morals are there, and you can take them or leave them.

And it's certainly not about advanced nations being evil incarnate, since there was quite an internal struggle within the human camp, and indeed it's that human faction who save the natives in the end.

Points for trying, but either go see it or quit your fallacious whining. I'm waiting for something negative to be posted about this movie by somebody who has actually seen it.

I just got back from seeing it with my girlfriend and her neice. We had a 6pm session and the cinema screened both 2D and 3D versions in the same complex. I saw the 2D version (as the 3D movie glasses doesn't work with me :lol:) and the girlfriend and neice went and saw the 3D version. They were amazed by it. I thought it was a good movie and could see how it would look great in 3D.

I had corneal laser surgery on my left eye a few years ago and I'm right eye dominant. My left eye isn't 100%, so even though I can see now and everything seems okay, it's when I do things like wear 3D glasses that reminds me that you need two eyes that 'are the same'. Otherwise it won't work when one eye is more dominant than the other as in my case. I tried the new 3D glasses a couple of years ago to see if it would work and the screen looks blurred with the 3D glasses on (even worse when you don't wear them).

"Preachy is exactly the opposite of what it actually is. The story and its basic morals are there, and you can take them or leave them."

I've seen the commericals, and I've read the reviews.

I read one review where the author gave it a ridiculous 10/10 and even ADMITS that it is a cliche. Hell, he even describes the scene where the two lovers meet and the nature lover girl admonishes the guy for being evil, insensitive, and all things nasty towards nasty. *yawn* That scene has been in literally HUNDREDS OF MOVIES.

"Points for trying, but either go see it or quit your fallacious whining."

What's the point of reviews if they don't tell you what the movie is about and to help you determine if it is worth seeing or not.

"I'm waiting for something negative to be posted about this movie by somebody who has actually seen it."

So... you only say negative things about movies you've actually seen? I don't believe you. I haven't seen Mask 2 yet nor do I need to know it's a trash movie that should have never been made.

Now, I doubt Avatar is THAT bad. It's probably a good movie; but it very much comes across as cliche, trite, and preachy. And, those are from pro Avatar reviews.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'm waiting for something negative to be posted about this movie by somebody who has actually seen it."

So... you only say negative things about movies you've actually seen? I don't believe you. I haven't seen Mask 2 yet nor do I need to know it's a trash movie that should have never been made.

I saw it. It was a pretty useful lesson on filmmaking. Chapter 11: What not to do. :(

Anyway, I probably not going to get anywhere with this, but I recommend you see it anyway. I was pretty skeptical going in (hearing things like Ferngully meets Thundersmurfs on Ain't It Cool News all the time will do that to you), and while I was like "this is it?" for the first 15 minutes, after that I was sucked in completely and just let all it's pure, unwashed epic give me pleasure*.

*Why yes, I did take effort to make that sound as disgusting as possible. :lol:

"Anyway, I probably not going to get anywhere with this, but I recommend you see it anyway."

I plan to when it comes out on DVD. I don't go to theatres anymore. Like I said, I doubt Avatar outright sucks. I'm sure it's a good movie. I haven't been let down by James Cameron yet.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've seen the commericals, and I've read the reviews.

I saw the trailers and read every review on Rotten tomatoes and the movie was quite different to what I expected it to be.

I read one review where the author gave it a ridiculous 10/10 and even ADMITS that it is a cliche. Hell, he even describes the scene where the two lovers meet and the nature lover girl admonishes the guy for being evil, insensitive, and all things nasty towards nasty. *yawn* That scene has been in literally HUNDREDS OF MOVIES.

Now, I doubt Avatar is THAT bad. It's probably a good movie; but it very much comes across as cliche, trite, and preachy. And, those are from pro Avatar reviews.

Quite the contrary. There was no trite or preachy scenes in the movie. Anyway, practically every movie has cliche's in it. I haven't seen a movie that hasn't had cliche's in it.

While we're on the subject of clich

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Im not an expert on TVtropes but that's probably longest list I've seen. If cliche would go supernova and collapse into black hole, it'd be called Avatar. And what's worse, I'll probably end up liking that film once it's seen on TV. Jimmy has that magic.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Warhammer40000

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main...geonsAndDragons

I think there are bigger ones somewhere.

Dear God, Warhammer 40k's list is humongous.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I might be in a situation to go see with the girlfriend sometime soon, so I just read this thread to see how it was. of course, 90% of it turned out to be stupid, cliche trolling from a predictable cast, so if the movie is any better I'll be happy. :(

I might be in a situation to go see with the girlfriend sometime soon, so I just read this thread to see how it was. of course, 90% of it turned out to be stupid, cliche trolling from a predictable cast, so if the movie is any better I'll be happy. :)

That's just rude: there's been a lot of thoughtful and interesting comments in this thread besides the whining and trolling from certain members. Indeed the general consensus from people who've seen it has been "it's awesome". Did you miss this?

This is the most epic action movie you're ever going to see.

I saw Avatar yesterday in 3D. I

That's just rude: there's been a lot of thoughtful and interesting comments in this thread besides the whining and trolling from certain members. Indeed the general consensus from people who've seen it has been "it's awesome". Did you miss this?

No, I particularly enjoyed TrueNeutral's verdict on the movie and, having had low expectations for the movie before, hope to enjoy it a fair bit. 90%, obviously, refers to a ratio of obnoxiousness rather than a quantitative count?