Just saw Avatar

Humodour

Looks like an awesome video game.

... wait, it's a movie?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

About Avatar: I was convinced it would be a giant turd when I saw the trailers, but even the pretentious newspapers in Sweden has given it good reviews. It's so odd that I'm really tempted to go and see it. Just that.. I usually just get a headache from 3D movies. It's like my puny brain can't find anything to focus on, but that doesn't stop it from trying.. for 2.5 hours.

Have you tried that out recently? Because I have this most of the time, but the electronic 3D glasses I had with Up worked like a charm. Nothing was out of focus.

Maybe Morgoth has just been going through a rough stretch, I know my tone can change when I'm stressed about life and all that. I don't remember him being perpetually negative, to be honest, it seems more recent.

It's not because I'm negative for the sake of being negative, it's because I like to mock these overrated and hyped "revealtions". They're just that: Overrated, and maybe even outright bad.

James Cameron got lucky by having access to a large budget, therefor obtaining the best animators and engineers that made this movie this technically cutting-edge in the first place.

Fwiiw i don't mind you whingeing. It's nice sometimes to hear another side to a popular thing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But seriously guys, Morgoth's typical bile aside, it was awesome. And 3 hours long. And awesome.

Also, as far as 'big giant turds' go, it was more like a bucket of icecream:

Reception

The film has received generally positive reviews from film critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reports the film as holding an 83% "Fresh" approval rating based on 114 reviews.[86] Among the site's top critics, the film has so far received a 95% "Fresh" approval rating based on 22 reviews.[87] At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film holds a "Universal acclaim" score of 83 based on 23 reviews.[88]

Film critic Roger Ebert called the film "extraordinary" and gave it four stars.[89] Todd McCarthy of Variety praised the film, stating, "The King of the World sets his sights on creating another world entirely in Avatar, and it's very much a place worth visiting."[90] Kirk Honeycutt of The Hollywood Reporter also gave the film a positive review.

Edit: Changed 'iceream' to 'icecream'. It sounded dirty.

Edited by Krezack

it was more like a bucket of iceream:

Pretty strong words there, considering this is hollywood we're talking about here. It looks interesting in the very least, I'll see it when it gets released in home formats.

We're also talking about a movie that was being worked on for over 10 years in some form or another by the guy who gave us Aliens, The Terminator, and Titanic (OK maybe that last one is a good reason to be concerned).

Heck, he hired a linguist to design an entire language for the aliens, complete with proper grammar and over 1000 words. He sure gets my nerd kudos.

He also elected not to have a famous actor as the protagonist, which is a nice change.

Maybe Morgoth has just been going through a rough stretch, I know my tone can change when I'm stressed about life and all that. I don't remember him being perpetually negative, to be honest, it seems more recent.

It's not because I'm negative for the sake of being negative, it's because I like to mock these overrated and hyped "revealtions". They're just that: Overrated, and maybe even outright bad.

James Cameron got lucky by having access to a large budget, therefor obtaining the best animators and engineers that made this movie this technically cutting-edge in the first place.

I'll confess, your negative whines are getting on my last nerve as well. It's one thing to say, "I'm not going to see that movie/buy that game because it looks awful/I hate those kinds of movies/games." And it's quite another to write post after post after post repeatedly complaining about a movie/game that you HAVEN'T seen/played just for the sake of being an attention hound, and hijacking the thread of someone who HAS seen the movie and likes the damned thing. There is such a thing as common courtesy... although I must admit that common courtesy isn't very common any more.

I don't think Morgoth is an attention hound. He just doesn't want to be caught up in the popular movements. I disagree with the sentiment because it's no better to turn your nose up at something because other people like it than it is to embrace something for the same reason. Turning your back on something because it's popular doesn't make you more discerning or elite. It just makes you kind of silly and hypocritical. Anyhow, we've spent more time talking about Morgoth's comments than we have about the film. If you guys suspect he's after attention, he's hound who has trained his master very well.

I like some of the things I hear about the film, though, so there's always a chance I'll get over my general indifference and see it in the theater. Last film I wanted to see was 2012, but that didn't pan out. It does help that I'll have a couple of weeks of free time and there's nothing else playing right now.

What, just because I don't like one-dimensional characters and recycled stories you now have an issue with good old uncle Morgoth?

You're a one-dimensional character telling recycled stories.

As for the film, I shall watch it at some point during the course of my life.

I don't think Morgoth is an attention hound. He just doesn't want to be caught up in the popular movements. I disagree with the sentiment because it's no better to turn your nose up at something because other people like it than it is to embrace something for the same reason. Turning your back on something because it's popular doesn't make you more discerning or elite. It just makes you kind of silly and hypocritical. Anyhow, we've spent more time talking about Morgoth's comments than we have about the film. If you guys suspect he's after attention, he's hound who has trained his master very well.

I like some of the things I hear about the film, though, so there's always a chance I'll get over my general indifference and see it in the theater. Last film I wanted to see was 2012, but that didn't pan out. It does help that I'll have a couple of weeks of free time and there's nothing else playing right now.

All I really have to add is that if the movie does interest you in any way, make sure you see it on the big screen first, because this is the type of movie which I don't think the TV can do justice to.

Krookie: I think they're saying that because it revolutionises 2 aspects of movie making (and, I guess, viewing). It's a 'killer app' to justify 3D viewing (and 3D viewing technology), and it's the first movie to make such heavy use of such detailed gollum-level CGI as well as world generation. The visual technology behind the movie is truly amazing, and should give any computer graphics nerd an erection.

An inane Pocahontas story from the most overrated director ever?

I'll pass.

Tim Burton didn't direct this...

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Morgoth is so much more interesting than Avatar. That's not saying much, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The reviews and the ads still give me no compulsion to deal with the hassle of sitting in a movie theater with 3D glasses wrapped around my face.

It does seem like it'd probably be great "zowie" big-screen eye-candy, however, no denying that aspect. Maybe if I got drunk first...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The reviews and the ads still give me no compulsion to deal with the hassle of sitting in a movie theater with 3D glasses wrapped around my face.

It does seem like it'd probably be great "zowie" big-screen eye-candy, however, no denying that aspect. Maybe if I got drunk first...

You lush! However, getting drunk and seeing the film does sound like it could be fun. I had a friend overseas who constantly told me I should try LSD because it's so cool. I imagine, if I'd ever done it, acid would make the Avatar experience awesome!