Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

It's funny how those lenses work. I re-played FO1, 2, BG1, 2 and PS:T last year, and they were still great. I'm playing Ultima 7 for the first time now, and it's great too.

I think it works the best with people who just play whatever's out in the market right now, and not very well with people who go back adn forth the timeline and play games whenever.

I think you are remember Fallout 1 and 2 with rose tinted lenses, TG. Also, Arcanum sucked and was boring.

i play fallout 1 and 2 ~once a year, and have for the last 10 years+... maybe someone remembers the game differently, but i remember it like it was yesterday, because i actually played fallout 2 for four hours yesterday...

the only things that i dont think stand up well anymore are: lack of character models and clunky interface

god do i wish those were my only problems with fallout 3...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Never even really knew what Fallout was until around June of last year so I guess I have crazy super rosey glasses that predict an alternate timeline in which I was incredibly nostalgic for them!

Or maybe, occam's razor, Fallout 3 was ass butter

Never even really knew what Fallout was until around June of last year so I guess I have crazy super rosey glasses that predict an alternate timeline in which I was incredibly nostalgic for them!

Or maybe, occam's razor, Fallout 3 was ass butter

"ass butter"

I like it. It's classy.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

At least I'm closer to getting what I want than for you to ever manage to convince anyone back into the nineties.
Fifties.

Also, the ghost quest: First RPG I saw where you had to bury something in a grave instead of robbing it. ****ing blew my mind.

Also, the ghost quest: First RPG I saw where you had to bury something in a grave instead of robbing it. ****ing blew my mind.

The one in the Den? I remember some particularly humorous dialogue options that were associated with that quest. :biggrin:

eh, no. i don't care about "l00t", i care about meaningful substance.

Backtrack all you want, it's still blatantly obvious that you're just whning for whinig's sake. "Uh, this isn't a carbon copy of something in Fallout/Fallout 2! It must be bad! Bethesda bad hurrhurrhurr".

you said "everybody at NMA" and i said "yeah, just about everybody there".

Yup, that's what we said. How many more times do you need it written? And what about "In the real world" was so hard to get? You know, the world outside of NMA..? Yes, there is one!! They were the millions actually buying and liking this game! Not the 20 angry nerds writing crap over everything because it is Bethesda.

see how this works? it's sort of fun watching you flailing around like a man with a bag over his head bumping into walls...too angry that he keeps bumping into the walls to notice that all he has to do is remove the bag from his head (or cut some eye-holes, convenient!).

Oh yes, flailing so bad now.. Maybe you should go back to NMA where I'm sure your level of flaming is considered "witty" or something?

nope. in fact, that's not Fallout-y at all. if you are like me, and you like something for what it actually is it's not very far-fetched to assume that you don't also like it for what it isn't. never once since '98 have i said "God Fallout is so great but i wish there were cars and racing!" i'd imagine there are plenty of other games out there for you if that's really all you need to satisfy yourself.

"That wasn't in Fallout/Fallout 2 so it can NEVER be in the Fallout world!! FALLOUT IN NAME ONLY!!". The joke that is self-prescribed hardcore 'fans' of Fallout never gets old.

i keep reading this sentence over and over and feeling braincells screaming out one by one before shriveling up and dying.

I don't doubt this for a second. "Reading is hard durrdurrdurr".

...because i don't find them to blah blah blah

Are we discussing your opinion again? Well, my opinion is that your opinion sucks. See how pointless that is? No? Read it again then, if you have any braincells left.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, and about the Bobbleheads: I liked them too. They are a sign of the time, not Bethesda being evil and doing you "hardcore Fallout fans" any disfavours. I'm pretty sure we'd see them in Fallout/Fallout 2 if they had been made today. In fact, I'm pretty certain there will be something exactly like them in Fallout: New Vegas too. But it's so easy to whine just for whining's sake, right?

There were stuff like that in fallout 2 (cat's paw magazines, memory modules) except they were more involved because they were part of a quest and had *some* backstory, and the reward was less of a magic cheat, so they made a little more sense as scavenging fetch quests go.

vehicles

maybe not "fallouty" (but there was a car in fallout 2 and it made perfect sense) but quite "mad max"-y and i wouldn't have a problem with that. It would help pass quickly through all the aimless wandering, and give an alternative to fast travel. I also hope it goes with some quests with a time limit that need a vehicle to complete them in time. Time sinking is not my favorite kind of gaming.

FO3 had books as well, I seem to remember? The bobbleheads were different as they (1) gave you much more significant bonuses, (2) were linked to achievements and (3) colecting one, as opposed to reading a book, doesn't make much sense. It was more a symptom than the illness, though, as far as allegations of pastiche come against FO3.

I did say books to a degree. Yes, there were books in FO3 as well, but they were nowhere near as important as in FO1. First of all, the skill increase in FO1 was significantly higher. Second, skills were much more important in FO1, especially fighting skills.

Sure the Bobbleheads increased stats mostly (but there were those that increased skills instead), but I think increasing skills in FO1 and 2 is about as powerful as increasing skills in FO1/2. Don't forget that you could take ten levels of the stat-boosting perk in FO3. Stat points simply weren't THAT hard to come by.

Still, my main comparison was more with the operation thingies in FO2.

Backtrack all you want, it's still blatantly obvious that you're just whning for whinig's sake. "Uh, this isn't a carbon copy of something in Fallout/Fallout 2! It must be bad! Bethesda bad hurrhurrhurr".

i didn't backtrack, i reexplained myself to a nerdraging forum member who misinterpreted my post. and if you'd actually read my posts you'd know that your last sentence is less an accusation than hyperbolic nonsense. wanting a good game is not the same as wanting a repeat. yet it's the oldest and easiest strawman FO3 lovers use against those who don't. trust me, homer...i spent enough time at the Bethesda boards to see that false argument rise up and get beaten down a hundred times, and always from the same people who always fail to comprehend the issue. it must be something like 'perceptual defense', the tendency for humans consciously to see what they wish to see.

Yup, that's what we said. How many more times do you need it written? And what about "In the real world" was so hard to get? You know, the world outside of NMA..? Yes, there is one!! They were the millions actually buying and liking this game! Not the 20 angry nerds writing crap over everything because it is Bethesda.

eh, nice try buddy. but you were attempting to call me out as if i was saying "everybody who bought the game" which is another thing FO3 fans like to argue (the number of copies sold) when all i was doing was simply addressing your "everybody at NMA will be whining about this". so i said, "actually, we're all resigned to a number of things and fairly excited for FONV." the fact that you flailed around too much to see it twice is now staring you in the face.

Oh yes, flailing so bad now.. Maybe you should go back to NMA where I'm sure your level of flaming is considered "witty" or something?

whether or not you can see yourself flailing like an angry fool, you are. trust me.

"That wasn't in Fallout/Fallout 2 so it can NEVER be in the Fallout world!! FALLOUT IN NAME ONLY!!". The joke that is self-prescribed hardcore 'fans' of Fallout never gets old.

you missed my point. flail johnny, flail!

I don't doubt this for a second. "Reading is hard durrdurrdurr".

wait. really? really? this is your comeback when somebody makes fun of your incredibly poorly-constructed sentence structure?

Are we discussing your opinion again? Well, my opinion is that your opinion sucks. See how pointless that is? No? Read it again then, if you have any braincells left.

flail, johnny, flail!!

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

eh, nice try buddy. but you were attempting to blah blah flail blah

I'm sorry, I can't account for your failed reading comprehension.

Try a few more "flails" and maybe it will all disappear?

It's people like you that make me LOVE the fact that Bethesda is now owning the Fallout franchise. Cry more little puppet, it warms my heart.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm sorry, I can't account for your failed reading comprehension.

eh, i'm not sure if it's an e-peen/e-pride thing with you or if you really, truly think the arguments you're making are actually addressing anything i've said...or perhaps you're simply blinded by your own nerd-rage? either way, all we've come to is:

twinkiegorilla: "something"

mkreku: *misinterpretation*

twinkiegorilla: *reiteration*

mkreku: ALL CAPS!!!

twinkiegorilla: "um..."

or, apropos:

TwinkieG: So I was hoping Fallout New Vegas would improve on the Fallout series, taking it into the modern era while fixing the many mistakes which rendered Fallout 3 a failure in my eyes.

mkreku:[intelligence] So you say you fight the good fight on Galaxy News Radio with your voice?

TwinkieG: Uh...no. No that's not at all what I'm talking about.

mkreku:[Nerd-Rage] GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

and while i find myself far more entertained by this pointless exchange than i have been by any amount of time spent playing FO3, i see no real point in continuing.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

oh. nice. is this one of those "everything sucks now so why wish and hope for a Renaissance?"

Its more along the lines of 'I'm not going to bash a game with a sledgehammer for doing it like everything else does these days'. I wasn't looking for a Renaissance with Fallout 3, I was hoping for a FUN game and that is what I got. My 'fun' level was actually around that of playing the original for the first time. I know... shocking...

yeah, yeah, whatever. i don't want a "fun" game when somebody says "Fallout". when somebody says "Fallout" i want a "Fallout" game. period.

so anyway, Josh...when are we going to see that nifty trailer yr workin' on? eh? EH? EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

LOL, and you wonder why the people who enjoyed F3 use the so-called straw man argument of 'Oh, so you just want a carbon copy of F1/2?'. ;(

Hey, something else we agree on atleast... I wanna see that trailer too! :-

LOL, and you wonder why the people who enjoyed F3 use the so-called straw man argument of 'Oh, so you just want a carbon copy of F1/2?'. :-

wait, no. i *do* wonder why you and other FO3fanboys interpret what i just said into that same goddamned strawman argument. when i order pizza, i hope i get pizza...not spaghetti. i don't always want the same exact pizza, but if i order PIZZA i want PIZZA. get me? it's not that hard, holmes.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

What's "so-called" about that argument ? Seems pretty strawman, when those people apply it to complaints about stuff like the SPECIAL or the MQ. Ah, games these days, sad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I felt that a problem with the quest design in general in FO3 was that completing them rarely meant much to your character's development. No matter how well a quest is designed while you are playing through the quest line, if it amounts to nothing when the quest is over, then it always leaves me feeling prety unsatisfied.

I think FO 3 quest payoff generally failed in 3 areas:

1) There was little sense of impacting the gameworld or opening up something new at the end of most quests

2) Most time the actual physical rewards for completing a quest is pretty minor.

3) Even the XP payoff for completing the quests is pretty minor compared to the amount of combat XP in the game.

When I combine all three of the above it does leave the whole quest aspect of Fallout 3 somewhat lacking. Completing a quest should at least pay off strongly in at least ONE of the above ways.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.